Leaking Panoramic sunroof? Have a look here...

Yeti_Man

A great report, and with some terrific photographs to accompany the very clear text.

To someone for whom the very thought of anything even slightly "DIY"-ish brings on cold sweats this was really clear and concise, and if I had a Yeti, and if that Yeti had a sunroof, and if that sunroof were to be found leaking - then this account would inspire me to give it a go.

Excellent stuff. Send it to SUK, and SCZ too, to help others similarly afflicted post warranty expiry!

Well done!

• Like 2

Proof that the pano sunroof is a bad idea for long term ownership? Unless you always park under cover, or are handy removing interior trim panels (or your Skoda dealer will upgrade your sunroof rain channels - unlikely but might be worth asking about!)...

PS +1 on the great write up

• Like 2

Brilliant post and well done on the photo's. Just hope mine does not develop the same problem as I would not fancy doing all that work. I have read about problems with the earlier sunroof leaks on some models on other threads, I am hoping mine a year 13 build has overcome the issues with the first models

This sounds like my problem. Ive booked it in for a service next week and asked the dealer to have a look. Oddly my water ingress seems very random:

Jet wash the car - no water.

Light rain - some water

Heavy rain - no water.

light rain - no water

Misty drizzle - water

heavy rain - water.

wash the car again - no water

and so on. Weird that its not every time it rains. Where have your pictures gone? I was trying to get my A pillar cover off but it didn't want to budge so I gave up.

• 2 months later...

It would be nice to think that Skoda took the opportunity to rectify this design fault in the facelift. Anyone know if they did?

We would probably expect to keep it as a second car for 10-15 years, so perhaps a sunroof is a bad idea if we don't want to start taking it apart. We are vaguely considering the L&K model

Edited by RDT

• 4 weeks later...

I too have owned a 2009 Skoda Yeti with a panoramic sunroof which I bought new in December 2009. After going to Scotland for the New Year and a night of torrential rain I opened the door in the morning to find that the rubber floor mats in the front and rear drivers side foot wells were about 1 inch under water. I tried to start the car but the battery was almost flat and wouldn't start the engine which was weird as this had never happened before. I managed to jump start the car and soaked up all the water but then noticed that the bluetooth for the phone no longer worked.

I took the car to the supplying dealer to find the fault who told me that they had had a few Yetis in due to water leaks with the fault found to be due to leaking sunroofs and Skoda had now done a modification as the roof drains were not large enough to cope with the British weather! The modification also means re-routing the new drain tubes to a different outlet and not the existing ones near the front door hinges

After a couple of days the dealer reported back that the bluetooth unit which is located under the drivers seat has been destroyed due to being under water and needed to be replaced and all the underlay has also got to be replaced as it was rotten due to the fact that it had been soaking for some time but not been spotted due to being so thick and under the carpet and rubber mats. As a "goodwill gesture" Skoda have offered to pay 20% towards the bill which the dealer has estimated I will have to pay £1300 due to being a huge job. After going to the dealer I find that my car has been gutted inside with no seats in and all the carpets and underlay taken out with the entire floor exposed down to the painted metal and they also say that the roof lining has also got to be removed so that the modified tubes can be fitted.

I understand that my dealer, who has been fantastic to deal with ever since I bought the car, has now got a lot of work to do but the 20% goodwill gesture is pathetic due to the fact that this fault should never have happened and is due to a design flaw which was rectified in later models.

I have now told the dealer that I am extremely unhappy with the 20% gesture and am now waiting for a reply from Skoda.

The Yeti has been a brilliant car so far with a good four wheel drive system which I need and up until this I would gladly replace it with a new one.

I have test driven a Kia Sportage with all the bells and whistles (and plastic) but I much prefer my Yeti.

But that 7 year warranty is beginning to look very appealing.

Edited by Alshut

• 2 weeks later...

Well ... Great post.

Seems to be exactly my problem.

I could randomly find different amount of water on front passanger side. The dealer looked at it 2 times and could not find the reason.

Now, 3rd time they suggested to dissasamble the dashboard. After a day they called me to notify that it seems that the water comes from the roof.

My car is of warranty about 6 month so my guess I'm going to be charged for this and only the first step was priced about 500 euro before VAT.

The most dissapointing thing is the clueless service team.

Any idea how to contact Skoda's customer service (not the local dealer) ?

• 1 month later...

This is one aspect I asked the dealer, had they experience of any leaking sunroofs. He reported only one had a problem and that included all Skoda models across the board. The one had blocked drain tubes and once stripped & cleaned out was fixed. On that basis I have selected that option on an Elegance.

• 1 month later...

Do you have to remove the roof lining to carry out this task?

Just in the middle of stripping out the various bits of trim  just wondering if it can be done without removal.

I have the updated tube kit from skoda to drain out the rear wheel arches,just hope it cures the problem,don't seem to get the wet carpets just the rear boot tool bin fills up!

Edited by carisbrook

If it is the lower boot tool bin that's filling with water, there is a topic on here somewhere, and it was not the roof that was leaking as it had happened on none sunroof Yetis. I think the consensus was that it was the seal between the tool bin and the floor that was letting water in.

Edit: found link

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/291529-water-in-lowest-boot-floor/

Do you have to remove the roof lining to carry out this task?

Just in the middle of stripping out the various bits of trim  just wondering if it can be done without removal.

I have the updated tube kit from skoda to drain out the rear wheel arches,just hope it cures the problem,don't seem to get the wet carpets just the rear boot tool bin fills up!

You would have to drop the roof lining slightly but as mentioned above, this thread isn't a solution to your problem.

You would have to drop the roof lining slightly but as mentioned above, this thread isn't a solution to your problem.

More likely its the battery box that needs sealing in as in rafi-arch post #29 (On Kenny's link)?

Still do the upgrade on the sunroof as I'm half way there and have the kit thou.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

OP great writeup.

I have a question, how did you manage to put the plastic straps on the tube in that position? I cannot manage to do it as the roof tube has a sphere-ish ending and I cannot seem to make the strap stay on.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Great topic thanks.

I had exactly the same issue on my octavia! Weeks of wet floors and problems trying to find the leak. Wife complaining of damp smelly odors!

pipe was totally blocked on the drivers side!! Had half of the interior stripped out trying to find where the water was coming from, appeared to be coming from bottom of the door seal at first!

Managed to feed a cable all the way down the pipe and then al of a sudden a gush of dirty water and soil came out the bottom.

We're going on a long summer road trip next week and relieved I found the issue as we're going to Ireland where I imagine it will rain a lot!!

Just got to dry out the floor now! But it's raining again today so not much chance. Need some sun to heat up the car.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same problem my sunroof is leaking from the white connectors, I know this as I can get my hand under the head lining and can feel the water dripping. I have been having problems removing the grab handles above the door also anyone help? any is there a guide to removing the head lining?

My Yeti was about two and a half years old when I bought it. No evidence of previous leaks from Panoramic Roof. Once used, a dark grey shadow started appearing from the top of the passenger side A pillar, spreading towards the roof. This post was great as detailed and clear photographs explained everything. It took a few visits to the main dealers for them to agree the problem was a leaking sunroof. After contacting Skoda warrentry they agreed to adjust the sunroof mechanism, which does seem to have fixed the problem. I asked them to put jubilee clips around the white connectors which they have told me they did. I have had to pay over £400 up front while waiting to find out whether or not it is covered by the warrentry - this was all labour costs (at a special reduced rate) as they removed the roof lining to gain access. It is possible to get access to the top of the two front A pillars after removing grab handle and visor, but you need to be careful not to over crease the roof lining. If no warrentry etc. would suggest you try adding  the jubilee clips to the front two seals as they are very poor and it does not require removing the whole roof lining. .