Any of you live near heathrow? Should I move? :(

Loz

In a bit of a predicament. I got a job interview for border force at heathrow. Applied on a bit of a whim on a grad scheme thing as I had fancied doing that job and I do need something new.

However it's at heathrow and I'm in blackpool. I don't really like London and it's a long way away :( all my friends, family, bf etc are here and I dunno what to do :(

Interview is next Friday, I could go but I'm a wuss and also the train fares are over £120.

Think I'd like the job, but would I just make myself unhappy? Would it be a waste of time and money to go to the interview? Are there any of you down there who would be my fwend? Lol

• Like 1

I'm in Southampton, a good day would get me to Heathrow in 55 - 60 minutes. Bear in mind that living expenses ie rent are higher the further inside the M25 you go. IIWY I'd drive to the interview at your leisure, it'll be less than the train fare. Basingstoke's not too bad a place TBH and even closer to H'row or Fleet.

Go to the interview and see what gives. You'll never know if you don't ;)

Yeah I know, it's doing my head in! Auric, I do want the job, that's the only thing stopping me cancelling the interview, it's everything else :(

Could drive, but it would be nearly 8 hours in a day. Blerg. Least the train is only 2 hrs each way.

Sounds like an opportunity, may be there's a possibility to move to another airport (in the future).... closer to home

It's not just airports though, also the opportunity to work at ports or emigration centres globally.

I live just south of Heathrow in Weybridge, the areas immediately surrounding Heathrow are not that great. Slightly further afield you have some of the most affluent areas in the UK. 

If you are coming from oop north, like i did 3 years ago expect a shock. The cost of living is considerably higher and rental prices are a bit mental!

As has already been said, definitely go for the interview! If not just for the experience. You should get a London weighting to your salary that would help with the added cost of living. Wouldn't they cover travel expenses? I don't think i have ever been to a job interview where i wasn't reimbursed. 

The interview has to be worth the investment, besides, if you drive down the evening before you could probably get accommodation in a Premier Inn or similar for less than the train fare.

Border Agency are nationwide as far as I'm aware so there would always be the opportunity to transfer at a later stage.

Yes, job is in heathrow. If it was just the interview that would change things a little. Have to think about how much I would really want to live completely alone and what effects it could have on my personal life....

No one has mentioned reimbursement that I have seen....

Yes, job is in heathrow. If it was just the interview that would change things a little. Have to think about how much I would really want to live completely alone and what effects it could have on my personal life....

It's not all that bad you could then attend the South central meets :)

I don't know many people that can afford to live on their own down here. House/Flat shares are much more common.

I would hate to live on my own, I have a house mate who is some company and helps with costs. To give you an example of current rental prices around me, I charge £575 pcm for my spare double room. A 2 bed flat will probably set you back around £1000 to £1300 pcm for one you would actually want to live in. Houses are more expensive again.

See if you get offered the job, once you have your foot in the door you can see what is available nationwide and locate as needed.

Be prepared for a shock financially and culturally on your change of location, but look at it as life experience.

You may get opportunity to travel with the job for training etc and get nearer to home.

Decent jobs like this are hard to get, so look at it as you need to try hard to get it and then if needed make some short term sacrifices to et where you want to be in a few years.  You'll make new friends, keep all your important current ones and shake off the ones that don't matter.  It's not a life sentence, you can always undo it if it's really not right for you and sometimes being away makes you appreciate what you want in life.

I moved away from my comfort zone and it was the best decision I made-it makes you develop, move on and in my case grow up a bit.

• Like 1

Reimbursement for what?

Surely travel costs alone make it a non starter?

The beauty of Heathrow is that it is just off the M4. Takes probably an hour from Swindon at rush hour. Loads of towns nearby -Reading is nice. 

I would definitely go for the interview if it is a job you are interested in.

Go with your 'gut instinct'.

You sound as though you have quite deep reservations regarding moving down there, so ask yourself if you see yourself being happy in the long term.

First impressions and feelings are usually an accurate indication, so I'd say, forget it.

No point in having a cracking job if you're going to feel unhappy regarding everything else

Just MY opinion on what I've read up there^^^  for what it's worth.

Going for the interview for the experience regardless is good advice though.