Dip it, dip it real good!..................(a DIY wheel refurb thread)

Sparkly

Just fitted those tonight as it happens.

Wife rang me this morning at work to say more bulbs have arrived for you, she also said, you've must've been talking on your Skoda Facebook again I suppose!!

• Like 1

Just fitted those tonight as it happens.

Wife rang me this morning at work to say more bulbs have arrived for you, she also said, you've must've been talking on your Skoda Facebook again I suppose!!

I had to resort to getting all car based deliveries sent to work.

Now my PA raises her eyebrows at me rather than the missus

Sparkly do you have a new filter for the extractor fan?

Run your fingers along the top of your high units.

The last thing i sprayed in my kitchen was a Mountain bike in Hammerite Satin Black.

That really was an error, not the fastest for curing, and removal was not so easy.

The first thing i ever did in a house was an open face crash helmet in some ones kitchen while i was baby sitting.

My parents had to replace their vinyl flooring,  

they walked in expecting to find i had been at the drink cupboard and their feet were sticking to the floor.

george

Hi George,

I checked all over after last night and not a trace, can't explain it if you have had problems I would expect to be in the **** right now, it certainly isn't down to any good management on my part.

Auric, that post made my night x

Aaaaaaand we're done

261d663c9381bab9c6219a5100a1b655_zpsa909

Pretty happy I replicated the original wheel, which still requires more peeling, sigh.

The wheels looked really distinct until the pearl coat, it is insane the change one coat makes, much more light reactive and multitonal. I think this would be a must have finish on lighter wheels, it really switches the look from flat rubber dip to something a bit more special, really glad I ordered this.

All in I have used two colour cans and around a quarter or third each of metallic silver clear coat and pearlescent.

• Like 3

Righty, got them on the car today, was losing light by the time I finished up so again with everything excuse the photography, it was rushed.

I need to do something about centre caps, the ones from the Gigaro's sit a bit proud as there is no recess, either need to dip those or the seat big centres.

Anyway, here you are

12DB2FD4-DF88-4F81-A4FC-05EDDA117356-205

61B13014-BF28-44C6-BCFD-758B22900A9F-205

Got annoyed car was so dirty so gave it a wash, snow foam, AG bodywork conditioner and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer for speed.

5CF65F5E-1E4B-48EA-910F-5BB086A0C24D-205

I was having to increase the exposure to get the shots and the result is they appear to have a touch of the Meteor Grey about them, this is far less in the flesh.

Got the wheels on with no nicks or damage which was nice.

8372FAF3-1BA4-490C-A23F-0B92CC31CF96-205

You can tell the ET is not too different to the Gigaro's they don't look overly tucked away under the arches.

390B9048-6BA8-4933-A331-15D8A9D69A79-205

Of all of the above shots, the second one showcases the colour the best.

• Like 2

I do wonder the durability of the plastidip...??

It does look awesome btw...:))

ServicePASAOGLU

Thanks buddy, we will see on the durability, winter should be a tough test, might be better as a summer look treatment, we will see.

It was fun to do and I'm more than happy in this instance to be the Guinea Pig.

Really tempted to do my Gigaro's now :)

• Like 2

Thanks buddy, we will see on the durability, winter should be a tough test, might be better as a summer look treatment, we will see.

It was fun to do and I'm more than happy in this instance to be the Guinea Pig.

Really tempted to do my Gigaro's now :)

Yes you are right.. winter will be the greatest test for the dip...:)

I want to change thw color of my Gigaro's, it is very hard to keep it clean.. white does look awesome but.. my i can dip them or just put them aside and by another set of alloys...:) will decide in a couple of weeks...:)

ServicePASAOGLU

dont look overly tucked in the arches, you referencing my winter wheels buddy?! :punch:

mnf5.jpg

anyway they look good :) very good finish, just like me you have made some cheap wheels look brand new, for very little money and a bit of effort! its worth it that people know you can do this, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the thread ;)

just not sure about the colour combination with the rallye green!

go easy fpr the first few hundred miles to bed the tyres in, but below freezing they will work well :)

Yes you are right.. winter will be the greatest test for the dip...:)

I want to change thw color of my Gigaro's, it is very hard to keep it clean.. white does look awesome but.. my i can dip them or just put them aside and by another set of alloys...:) will decide in a couple of weeks...:)

ServicePASAOGLU

I think you could get a great result with two cans of matt black and then pearl or gloss over the top. £30.00 colour change to trial the look. ;)

• Like 1

dont look overly tucked in the arches, you referencing my winter wheels buddy?! :punch:

anyway they look good :) very good finish, just like me you have made some cheap wheels look brand new, for very little money and a bit of effort! its worth it that people know you can do this, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the thread ;)

just not sure about the colour combination with the rallye green!

go easy fpr the first few hundred miles to bed the tyres in, but below freezing they will work well :)

Haha not at all mate, just putting voice to a concern I'd had about how they might look.

Going off the photo's that would be exactly my reaction on the colour but in the flesh it's better, or I think so. The Pearl coat has left them very tricky to photo, pretty much can disregard the really light shots too.

Will be going easy as suggested, thanks.

• Like 1

What size tyres did you go with on the 16" rims?.

How do the measure in Total Diameter beside the 205/40 R 17's that you had on the car.

george

Sorry George, I've had a busy weekend, alongside posting on here I've been laying acoustic flooring in my sons bedroom.

I was a bit too knackered to get the measuring tape out :rofl: maybe another day so I can't say what real world diameter change there was. The tyres are 195/50/16 and came in under 2.5% change on willtheyfit.com, wheels are ET42 compared to Gigaro's 41. My arch gap looks more or less the same so I would say they are close to the Gigaro's and summer tyres.

Only been down the road to the shops but over a few bumps the ride appears no better, will report on this at a later date.

Tomorrow morning will do the calcs and set the maxidot for winters

My idea was to trial more sidewall, part of me is wishing I had gone 205/45/16 for the width.

Also in my head I had thought it might be a slightly better profile if we get snow, who knows, you makes your choice :)

Would it be easy to put a rim of colour around the outside of the rim using this plastidip method?

Say I wanted, grey wheels with a green stripe?

My thoughts are that it would be tricky if you mean like on the Gigaro's. How thick a line.

You would need super accurate masking or maybe a stencil

But don't take my word for it I'm just the monkey test pilot.

As with most things in life I would say it's skill dependant :)