Sump plug

Dudeoli

I've crossed the threads of the sump (again). It's been retapping once already so I've bought a new sump now. Looking at the new one I think I've found why I've messed it up;

4353023E-F38E-4588-9F19-9718E019B3CE-111

Notice the sump plug head isn't parallel to the side of the sump? That's just cheeky! It also doesn't help that the £1 plug is made of a harder material than the £78 sump!

My old audi had the plug hole at the front sitting flush to the surface, nice easy access and refit, hence I never had this problem...

Is fitting a new sump as easy as it sounds? Any advice? I'm planning to attempt tomorrow, an I really need it working by Monday.

Haynes manual makes it sound relatively easy, I bought some instant gasket, the Haynes says use silicone. This gasket stuff I bought claims to be suitable for oil sumps. I'm worrying because the Haynes has 3 spanners next to it.

I have a feeling the hardest part will be getting under the car and reaching everything

Good point! I was actually quite surprised by home much metal came out in the oil. Don't want too much crap getting around the crankshaft. The new sump came with plug already in (as you can see in the picture) at least thread crossing won't happen again tomorrow.

Good point! I was actually quite surprised by home much metal came out in the oil. Don't want too much crap getting around the crankshaft. The new sump came with plug already in (as you can see in the picture) at least thread crossing won't happen again tomorrow.

Double check the bung .... it wouldnt be the first ive seen come that is only finger tight 

How do you cross thread something when you wind it in by hand? Mind boggled.

God knows, it wouldn't even go as tight as I could do it with my fingers.  People have asked me before if I have spanner hands though...

I've done things up by hand before, and others (who are bigger and supposedly stronger than myself) have been unable to undo them by hand :D

In all seriousness though, why is the plug not just flush to the side of the sump? Why a funny angled countersunk hole?!?

I've replaced the sump on mine - the ****ty JOMS rebound caused me to crack my sump.

Its not that much of a difficult job takes around 2 hours.

Its pretty accessible, wipe it clean/degrease and remove old gasket paste from the side then reapply gasket paste and refit. I cant remember the stuff i used it was black it was a year ago.

A 1mm by 1mm gasket paste line around the sump is suffice and tighten the bolts in opposite fashion just going round tightening them gentle ie not tighten one in one go.