Even just sitting in an A3/A4 and shutting the door... it was "solid" - doing the same in the Skoda, there was a definite reverberation. 

I've been trawling through autotrader but can't find the perfect car. I'm now put off torsion bars as the Focus I tried yesterday handled SO much better with its independent suspension. Unfortunately I'm so used to the vast array of features that come with the Skoda - there must be another car similar for not much more money out there. 

-> The closest I can find is Mazda 3 (but loads of clutch problems, apparently) and Focus Ecoboost (engine problems are worse mpg but this is the main contender.. they've really shrunk, though.. and the touch screen is a bit tricky). Also need to check out smaller Skodas - Fabia etc. 

It might be I just "get used to" the Skoda boom until something better turns up. E.g. a 2017 Civic petrol in a couple of years. 

Edited by guitarman001

39 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

Even just sitting in an A3/A4 and shutting the door... it was "solid" - doing the same in the Skoda, there was a definite reverberation. 

I've been trawling through autotrader but can't find the perfect car. I'm now put off torsion bars as the Focus I tried yesterday handled SO much better with its independent suspension. Unfortunately I'm so used to the vast array of features that come with the Skoda - there must be another car similar for not much more money out there. 

-> The closest I can find is Mazda 3 (but loads of clutch problems, apparently) and Focus Ecoboost (engine problems are worse mpg but this is the main contender.. they've really shrunk, though.. and the touch screen is a bit tricky). Also need to check out smaller Skodas - Fabia etc. 

It might be I just "get used to" the Skoda boom until something better turns up. E.g. a 2017 Civic petrol in a couple of years. 

Your reasoning for dismissing cars is going to cause you no end of problems. 

You're now put off cars with a torsion bar rear suspension setup because you drove one car with IRS that was better than your Octavia. Go and drive a Renault Megane RS, or an FN2 Civic Type R and see how they handle with their rubbish torsion bar. 

The Ford Focus ecoboost issues you keep referring to, I presume is the coolant hose that cracks. The one that's had a factory recall and is no longer an issue? 

If you look online EVERY car will have so called inherent issues mention by a few on enthusiast forums. 

Have you actually driven other Octavias to see if the issue you experience is present on those cars, not only yours, or have you just blindly tarred every Octavia with the same brush? 

Edited by dale1uk

Actually yes, I drove one other which is the same as mine - and although it didn't have the boom, my father's Rapid had similar noise verging on it. I think Skoda cabin noise is inherent in the design and some people just haven't driven quiet cars..?

I've driven enough cars now to have fair confidence that IRS handles better, and can pretty confidently say the Octavia noise is the worst I've heard and unacceptable. Such a shame. 

Yes, the coolant hose recall - apparently despite the recall some engines still find coolant leaking in and blowing them so I'm not convinced it's completely solved. 

I'm just bewildered about this cabin boom, it's really ridiculous. How could Skoda make a car that's so uncomfortable to drive :(

Edited by guitarman001

1 hour ago, Alpha2110 said:

Thats interesting, i did not think a mk2 superb was mqb platform car?. As i was of the understanding it was based on a old passat. Also it must have a load of sound proofing as its was more quiet, and the one i was in was running on 18" wheels.

Sorry, are we are talking about the mk2 Superb? I missed that, then what you say is right.

I was talking about the mk3 Superb and I think my comments still stand up to scrutiny.

19 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Sorry, are we are talking about the mk2 Superb? I missed that, then what you say is right.

I was talking about the mk3 Superb and I think my comments still stand up to scrutiny.

As its not mqb, does this mean it could have different gauge steel? Or thinner glass. 

My guess is its a more solid car. Also the mk2 octavia taxi i was in sounded more solid aswell.

One things for sure i was impressed with the quality of the superb mk2 it feels like a Mercedes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alpha2110 said:

As its not mqb, does this mean it could have different gauge steel? Or thinner glass. 

My guess is its a more solid car. Also the mk2 octavia taxi i was in sounded more solid aswell.

One things for sure i was impressed with the quality of the superb mk2 it feels like a Mercedes. 

Although I'd like to own a MK 3 Superb, if only for the updated electronics + AWD with the 280 engine, every time that we've driven one we've driven away in our 5 year old

MK 2 & wonder why we are bothering!

Ditto for the test drives in MK 3 Octy vRS's, & comparing their build-quality with SWMBO's Octy 2 FL vRS.........

At least the '16 plate Golf feels like a nice place to sit in / drive sedately, so it's not an MQB problem, just some VAG enforced cost-cutting in today's Skodas.

Maybe we should keep the EOS for the summer & look for a replacement in the autumn, the early AWD Leon Cupra ST demonstrators might be on sale then........

DC 

Same problem with My Octy-17 TSI estate with electric lid. Pressure in the cabin. Non related to any speed, but on rough surface. Started when i change to my summertires. Thats a bit odd because i didnt hear anything last summer, and nothing using wintertires, now i have change tires, Dunlop blu to goodyear effeciengrip performance and the pressure is gone and noice/rumbling is reduced to a good level.

So My problem solved with new tires but i think theres is a problem if you have to change tires once a year. I Dont have this problem in our other Octy that my wife/daughter using but they dont hear what im talking about in my car. :) No spare wheel and using 16". 

So a tip that perhaps can help u. Try another brands of tires. 

sorry for bad english Writing.

If I thought tyres would help, I'd get them, but here's why I think it wont make a difference:

- when I close the door I hear a bit of reverberation - nothing to do with tyres. 

- when I go over bumps, I hear it (mainly from the back wheels - there's some clue there...) - again, not much contact there so can't be the tyres.

It'd be the best part of £500 for fitted tyres and re-alignment. An expensive experiment. 

Edited by guitarman001

Seems like such a step backward - I'm trying to focus less on this now and focus more on time with my terminally ill wife. Just going to "put up with it" until somethings clicks and I know what t get instead. Have to say though we drove all day today in her Vauxhall Mokka and it was a pleasure in comparison.

- Fabia is a possibility!

Edited by guitarman001

Tyres could make a difference in tyre roar however it wont do anything to reduce the booming. My tyres are conternental eco 5 and there auful 71db tyre. Goodyear efficient grip are a 68db tyre. However dont draw any conclusion from this its an eu drive by noise mesurment. 

2 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

Seems like such a step backward - I'm trying to focus less on this now and focus more on time with my terminally ill wife. Just going to "put up with it" until somethings clicks and I know what t get instead. Have to say though we drove all day today in her Vauxhall Mokka and it was a pleasure in comparison.

- Fabia is a possibility!

I feel your pain guitarman001 :-(

The end of my lease is nearly up & I wont be getting another Octavia.

It's a shame as it's a lot of car for the money but for me, it's not worth taking the chance, even though there's been a facelift.

I initially had test drove the estate version which had the same noise issue but I (incorrectly) assumed that it was because the boot was empty & proceeded with my order.

However as soon as my hatchback was delivered I noticed the noise & started my doomed quest to find a solution.

I had a Fabia as courtesy car & was impressed with the level of finish & the significantly lower cabin noise! Would definitely consider one for my if my wife changes her car.

If you can afford to take the hit I'd get rid of it but I know that's easier said than done, it's four years down the road & there's no definitive cause or solution other than drive with the tailgate open!

Good luck!

Cheers, Paul

Edited by Paden

How long was your lease? EVen at least a year is a long time - how did you survive? :)

I'd really like to try a Fabia to check out the ride and noise... Monte Carlo is the top spec, I think. 

I'm LOATHE to spend £14k+ on an Audi which is just the same engine. I've always been a £10-12k or less on cars kind of guy...

-> Fabia 1.2 is very economical but only 5 gears. I wonder what economy users get in 5th gear at 70mph+ on the motorway...

Edited by guitarman001

It was 4years/100,000 & it'll be going back 6 months early due to mileage.

If it wasn't for the risk of the same noise again, I'd have gotten another.

I only had the Fabia for a day or two but economy was comparable with the Octavia as far as I recall.

On 4/29/2017 at 07:11, guitarman001 said:

So none of these issues at all in the Superb's? 

Man... I thought it was just the SIZE of the car that was making things worse, which it probably is... 

I think all Fords have independent rear suspension, right? My Focus felt great to drive and had none of this. 

I wonder if the Audi A3 has independent suspension. Will check!

Superb MK II or III?

My 2014 1.4 tsi twindoor Superb II facelift (with independent rear suspension) is very quiet indeed. Very little road noise and no booming - unless i'm going deaf

As a control test I found the courtesy Estate Fabia 1.4 diesel very noisy the other day. Lot's of noise from the engine (suppose I've got used to petrol again) and quite a lot from the rear suspension - didn't notice any booming though

I haven't tried the mkIII yet - daren't try it as I might buy one!!

Edited by bigjohn

I'm going to give this a rest for a while. 

There are more important things for me to spend my time on. 

I'll drive it into work a few more days and see how I feel - I might be able to put up with it for some time.

It's not just the cabin noise, there's also a cabin vibration that is a tad more than other cars I've been in. I think maybe that's what causes my teeth (and sometimes back) to sometimes hurt after a ride..! In any case, I can't get anything like it's spec in similar car without spending an insane fortune and I'm getting 47mpg average which is great. 56.5mpg into work today. So I'll see how it goes and maybe even fork out for tyres if I think I'll keep it for at least a year. By then maybe some of these 1.0 cars or Civic 2017's will be more affordable.... 

By the way... there's now ANOTHER dent in it. Just as the door was fixed! Not sure if it was there before but it's near the petrol cap and it's pinhole but only viewable in daylight from afar. It seems the body is a bit soft? 

Sounds like it's all complaints but that's far from the truth - everything else about this car I love!

Bit late to the party.

I own a late 2016 (66 Plate in the UK), manufactured September 2016 approx VRS 230 and weirdly I've not noticed any 'low frequency' noises.

However, when I test drove an early 2016 model VRS 230 last summer (2016) I noticed the noise in the tester vehicle.

5 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

How bad was the noise - over what roads (or bumps)? Was it acceptable or....?

It was very noticeable and mildly irritating. 'Normal' road surface (asphalt/tarmac) and noticed with speeds around 25-45 MPH. It was a manual gearbox. I also tested another VRS 230, this time with a DSG box, I believe it was an early/mid 2016 vehicle as well and I don't remember hearing the sound in that, but I may be mistaken.

Seems so strange to me all this, mine has no issues whatsoever no boom at all and the road noise is minimal. It's quieter than my wifes petrol mini by a long long way, and quieter than my dads diesel golf (2013).  

i find it quite incredible there is so much difference between cars, in fact I wouldn't believe it all if it wasn't for so many people posting about it on this topic... really confused by it all

I'm not saying the above, or any other, poster is denying the presence of this. But as just said... multiple people have experienced this same thing, so it's not made up. It's a fact! And in fact, the majority of people getting in my car can clearly hear it - though some say they could live with it - it's all relative, if that makes sense. 

Hm. My Airpressure is back. Change of tires didnt hold on for many days. 

Cant keep the crappy car. Going for a Golf SC/Estate. Testdrive a few of my relatives and coworkers cars and total different car despite using same platform. They could also feel the pain driving my car. Also drive one when i was visited a local dealer. Really nice on the road. Even on  rough roads. Losing money on my Octy and the Golf is not cheap but thats life. Got a VW passat before octy and no problems. Dont like the interior in Ford and Hyundai/Kia is plastic rubbish with terrible roadnoice. Can use my wifes Octy if i missing driving one. :)

Its a good car if you lucky but terrible if you have bad luck.