1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

The detailed thread on the item that I wrote a few years back..

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Its just one item & two nuts, only for the cars with the multi-link rear suspension

Rear subframe harmonics damper mod.jpg

Ah, its for IRS. I have the 1.5 TSI Octavia. 

9 hours ago, Mastercard said:

Ah, its for IRS. I have the 1.5 TSI Octavia. 

One of the reasons I ordered a MK7 Golf estate as the IRS was fitted to the 1.4lt engine...

MK3 Octavia in 2014 only had it on VRS, L&K & then Scout....& the 1.8lt petrol L&K had the same "MQ250" designation gearbox as my 1.4Lt...so basically hampering the bigger & heavier 1.8lt engine!...

I have a 2015 1.4tsi with the solid beam rear axle. I fitted a Volvo vibration damper which are easily found on ebay, cleaned it up, painted it and bolted it onto the inside of the central part of the rear beam using stainless steel bolts and locknut- photo shows my car with Volvo damper fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145080464246?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=b2XMnWdRR_q&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=q0tLE_VaSWe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

image001.jpg

27 minutes ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

I have a 2015 1.4tsi with the solid beam rear axle. I fitted a Volvo vibration damper which are easily found on ebay, cleaned it up, painted it and bolted it onto the inside of the central part of the rear beam using stainless steel bolts and locknut- photo shows my car with Volvo damper fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145080464246?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=b2XMnWdRR_q&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=q0tLE_VaSWe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

image001.jpg

And have you noticed any difference fitting it?

Yes I did notice a difference when I fitted it- it was 2 or 3 years ago now. If you look back at this thread I posted details of all the mods I have done- only one more thing to do for me is have my Bilstein B4 front and rear dampers fitted- were scheduled for last summer but my mechanic was too busy so definitely fitting them this summer- I can fit rears myself. Top tip if replacing front dampers always fit a new fixing bolt as the old bolts can stretch and the new ones have factory loctite on the thread- if you reuse the old bolts they will come loose- I have seen it happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

Yes I did notice a difference when I fitted it- it was 2 or 3 years ago now. If you look back at this thread I posted details of all the mods I have done- only one more thing to do for me is have my Bilstein B4 front and rear dampers fitted- were scheduled for last summer but my mechanic was too busy so definitely fitting them this summer- I can fit rears myself. Top tip if replacing front dampers always fit a new fixing bolt as the old bolts can stretch and the new ones have factory loctite on the thread- if you reuse the old bolts they will come loose- I have seen it happen!

what was the difference? Less road noise? Booming?

Both - used to hurt my ears now much more tollerable- there is one particular part of road I travel back along every day from work which has lots of undulations and if I drive over them below 30mph the sound of the rear suspension going up and down reverberates through the entire car- I'm hoping the B4 Bilstein shock absorbers eliminate or at least reduce this- never had such a boomy/uncomfortable suspension car in my life! To tolerate this car has taken a lot of time, money and effort- at last count its cost me £670 for all the parts- Inc shocks not yet fitted and  not including 4 Goodyear all season tyres- which didn't make any difference that I could tell

Edited by Michaeldavis39

33 minutes ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

Both - used to hurt my ears now much more tollerable- there is one particular part of road I travel back along every day from work which has lots of undulations and if I drive over them below 30mph the sound of the rear suspension going up and down reverberates through the entire car- I'm hoping the B4 Bilstein shock absorbers eliminate or at least reduce this- never had such a boomy/uncomfortable suspension car in my life! To tolerate this car has taken a lot of time, money and effort- at last count its cost me £670 for all the parts- Inc shocks not yet fitted and  not including 4 Goodyear all season tyres- which didn't make any difference that I could tell

Just buy another car? Why put the money if it does not make it 100%?

• 1 month later...
On 09/02/2024 at 22:08, Michaeldavis39 said:

I like the car- only has 32k on the clock, spotless underneath and will run it into the ground like all my cars, one small section of road is not putting me off enough to spend more money on a different car thanks

Hi Michael, just recently got a 1.0 TSI 110 BHP hatchback myself, 17 reg with 82k Kms (torsion beam).

What are the best places to start on the boomy sound in your opinion (looking for the easy wins first)? In regards to the Volvo dampener, is this potentially a NCT/MOT failure waiting to happen or is it something that could be reversed if needed?

Also, can these be adjusted (left and right side of boot door)? I've adjusted the dome boot stoppers to be looser and that seems to have dulled the boom slightly. 

IMG_20240321_190639367.jpg

42 minutes ago, corcaigh said:

Also, can these be adjusted (left and right side of boot door)? I've adjusted the dome boot stoppers to be looser and that seems to have dulled the boom slightly. 

IMG_20240321_190639367.jpg

My stoppers does not look like that. I have a 2020 model MK3. Maybe they changed them from 2018.

Would be interesting to know if I could do any adjustments.

Hi Corcaig the damper I fitted is completely removable- I did fit it with atainless steel fittings and locking nuts so it would never loosen by itself- I have had several mot tests and nothing was said. My boot stopper looks almost the same as yours. I did fit new ones which were an improved design- I don't remember if I adjusted them or not as it was a few years ago- can you push yours inwards- takes some force but mine do move. Best wins I found for noise harshness reduction were torsion beam Volvo damper, lots of soundproofing in spare wheel well- if you have no spare wheel I didn't so I bought one and the fitting kit for it plus a boot rubber liner and finally spraying insulating foam in the drivers side roof pillar- not easy but a good result

20240322_102824.jpg

4 hours ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

Hi Corcaig the damper I fitted is completely removable- I did fit it with atainless steel fittings and locking nuts so it would never loosen by itself- I have had several mot tests and nothing was said. My boot stopper looks almost the same as yours. I did fit new ones which were an improved design- I don't remember if I adjusted them or not as it was a few years ago- can you push yours inwards- takes some force but mine do move. Best wins I found for noise harshness reduction were torsion beam Volvo damper, lots of soundproofing in spare wheel well- if you have no spare wheel I didn't so I bought one and the fitting kit for it plus a boot rubber liner and finally spraying insulating foam in the drivers side roof pillar- not easy but a good result

20240322_102824.jpg

I have following damper on my Octavia Mk3, MY 2020.

Adjustable? 

Which Volvo damper are we talking about by the way?

20240322_154804.jpg

Mastercard please read my post on 8th February then you will see about Volvo damper- it fits onto the rear beam of the axle. Also from your photo you have an estate don't you? My car is a hatch/saloon so boot buffer is different and I do not know if it is adjustable sorry.

On 22/03/2024 at 10:37, Michaeldavis39 said:

20240322_102824.jpg

Hi, yes, my stoppers can move inward, was there much benefit changing them?