Just looked  at mine while checking the car over. The stops seem to be very different on my April 2016 built Combi. Two fixed, non adjustable, serrated rectangular stops which meet up with covers over the screws for rear lamp clusters (i.e. on the vertical part of the tailgate). Nothing else on the  top or  bottom of the tailgate.

When building a kit car a few years (er decades) ago I struggled with leaks from the softtop rubber seal - I used a toothpaste bead :biggrin: on the windscreen top bar to judge whether the rubber seal was in contact when the hood was shut. Managed to "fettle/adjust" the seal so that it s=was in reasonable all the way round the windscreen. (Car was mintetd  - groan)

Is it worth doing something similar with the hatch seal to make sure where it is or isn't in contact with the hatch. 

Damn. 

I got back and then re-adjusted the stoppers to the lowest setting to see if I was making things up.. and now I really can't tell!! I'm too involved!! 

In both stopper positions, there are still a few sections of road that give different effects. One is like when you have the rear window open. The other is low frequency rumble. In any case, with the stoppers all the way up, the drive back was fine. Dare I adjust them down to compare tomorrow? I'm so tired! 

Maybe I'm getting used to the sound, or maybe I need a better test section of road. 

Hmmmmmmmmm. 

Going to give this a break until I find a section of road that is rougher. Might also change the tyres. I think I still need to "properly" fill the wheel well and also add weight to the underside of the parcel shelf.

For now it seems ok-ish. Is there a full moon tonight? Are the stars aligned? All seems sporadic. Join the dots.

Try imgur... Photobucket is the worst - especially for mobiles. 

So! I opened the boot of the Fiesta and Mokka and bot have rubber stops... but they don't seem to be adjustable. 

Does anybody else have a VW platform car (or any other car!) and could they check the boot rubber stops? 

17 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

Try imgur... Photobucket is the worst - especially for mobiles. 

So! I opened the boot of the Fiesta and Mokka and bot have rubber stops... but they don't seem to be adjustable. 

Does anybody else have a VW platform car (or any other car!) and could they check the boot rubber stops? 

Our Leon has 2 rubber stoppers they look like the VW ones I've seen, not as easily asjustable as the Octavia. I don't want to mess with it too much, as it isn't a concern on the Leon.

Gregoirs car is an Estate (combi) so were not talking about the same problem are we?

It the hatch that mainly has the issue.

In this thread posters were indeed comparing Combis with Hatches way back in time.....:sleepy:. I think it is interesting that the Combi has a much less, and non adjustable, buffered solution. I had a Passat Estate decades ago and that had the adjustable buffers so things change.

And in reply to mikenippard, I don't notice any noise problems currently.

Edited by gregoir
mikenippard replied.

Just to say I'm still getting on ok and when it's ok, things are MORE than ok. Total luxury - never had a car giving such economy with so many features. An Audi driver would pay double. 

I'd say I still hear the noise maybe 5% of the time over certain roads but on the whole it seems to have died down... OR it's destroyed that part of my hearing ;)

4 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

Just to say I'm still getting on ok and when it's ok, things are MORE than ok. Total luxury - never had a car giving such economy with so many features. An Audi driver would pay double. 

I'd say I still hear the noise maybe 5% of the time over certain roads but on the whole it seems to have died down... OR it's destroyed that part of my hearing ;)

guitarman001 do you have a estate (wagon/combi)  or hatch(limousine)?

Got a good deal on my Octy, and picking up a golf sportscombi today. Took a long trip on rough roads and no "pressure" in my ears. More noisy than my Octy but i think its the tires on the car and its ok. As long as the "pressure" is gone im fine with it. Took my Octy home after testdriving the golf and "ouch".. my ears.. 

its going to feel ok to leave my Octy Estate (with electric lid and still "pressure" in the cabin). Still Got a Octy in the family with no "pressure" in the ears. 

Btw, have the same stoppers as Gregoir, non adjustable.

Guitarman001, wish u good luck with solving you problem. 

Thanks!

How long have you had yours for again? 

The pressure is gone 90% of the time for me now. 

I think give it 3ish years and I might trade for a new 1L engine - perhaps Civic 2017 petrol model. 

I still think I get a tinge of back pain from the Octy and it could benefit from better suspension (IRS at that) but I'm good with it all for now. 

Let us know how you get on more with the Golf over time. Cheers!

Had it since last summer. Same as our other octy. As you mention in earlier post there was a strange reverberation when closing the drivers door. Spread backwards from the roof and back to the lid. My other Octy have a hard solid sound. I think its a problem with the thin plate, soundproofing and poor Suspensionparts. Just waiting for my other Octy to behave the same soon regarding pressure. Hope not. And i hope that Skoda has solved the problem with FL-version. Guess not. We will soon read about it here. 

Cheers Guitarman001

On 2017-5-3 at 14:03, gregoir said:

Mine has this arrangement and mine is sep 2015 registered.

2 hours ago, Alpha2110 said:

Mine has this arrangement and mine is sep 2015 registered.

Both adjustable. Just remove coverings 

On 4/05/2017 at 01:03, gregoir said:

Use a plastic spudger to remove the blank plastic covers over the part that attaches to the boot lid and you will find a Torx-type screw. Loosen it and you can adjust the stoppers a fair bit - it has a set of ridges you can use to set the exact position you want.

I have the power boot lid and found the quietest arrangement/best seal was to adjust both so they just seem to touch/settle on the stops when the boot is closed (you can use a torch to peer in through the panel gap and see!)

The power boot does seem to self-adjust/clamp fairly tightly so I found that if I pushed them out too far (evidenced by quite a marked "clunk on opening the trunk") the seal wasn't as tight and the interior noise was worse.

YMMV - suggest you have a play and bear in mind the lid is likely not 100% straight and the best fit might mean the two buffers are at different settings

Edited by Item
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

@WillM82 looking at your pics again... you have the two rubber stoppers screwed most of the way out? Does screwing them all the way in have no effect?

No difference, boot is easier to close with them screwed in, might leave them like that.

Just cruised all the way to Cardiff at 56mpg. Quiet and comfortable for me and SWMBO anyway.

Pint of Bra*ns slipping down nicely.

Pub is a bit noisy and bar stool a bit uncomfortable :biggrin: