I've heard the new version of 10 and 12 the one is sprung i.e. kind of a small damper.

I've seen them in you tube videos of the facelift model.

So might be worth retrofitting those.

2 lots of stops though...

The ones at the bottom edge of the hatch and the others at the bottom of the glass area.

16 minutes ago, glosrich said:

I've heard the new version of 10 and 12 the one is sprung i.e. kind of a small damper.

I've seen them in you tube videos of the facelift model.

So might be worth retrofitting those.

Someone on Briskoda Facebook retrofitted the spring loaded items and saw a slight improvement.

Is there a part number?

Just now, guitarman001 said:

I repeat that mine is also worse when the rear wheels go over a bump. Must be boot related. Some folk HAVE had success adjusting stops. 

I'm almost praying that when I find these other two stops, it helps things massively...

Don't get your hopes up

I've adjusted all 4 and made little difference

1 minute ago, guitarman001 said:

Nooooo :(

What are these other two, can you describe exactly where they are and what they look like?

Tightest is meant to be best?

You'll see them at the side of the bootlid and the C pillar

The one on the pillar is adjustable to 2 or 3 raised settings

There's an actual screw for those, right?

If so, they didn't appear to be height adjustable when I tried. Will check again tomorrow.

This is now a hot topic - doesn't look good for anybody looking to buy a Skoda reading this.

Edited by guitarman001

OK...... I don't want to jinx myself but I MIGHT have fixed it. I need to test it over all road conditions at different speeds first but today's drive in was as normal as normal gets. There was still a slight hint of it but very minor indeed and I think I still need to make a small tweak.

I was convinced this had to be something to do with the boot... I mainly heard the noise when the rear of the car went over a bump, and what's the largest mass that can cause such a low rumble other than the entire body of the car itself - the boot.

I'd previously only been adjusting these domed stoppers, to no avail:

DDFwMKf.jpg

The domed ones... I've left them now fully screwed in tight.

Only last night I was made aware again of the other stoppers on the left and right. Here is the rubber contact on the boot lid itself which isn't adjustable:

Ka75OGD.jpg

This is meant to contact with this part on the body of the car itself:

AKrU5Aw.jpg

However I thought this wasn't adjustable... it is!! You need to really give it a shove, though. In the above picture, that's how it is now. Before, the middle bit was lower down, so the boot would have to travel further down in order to contact this. But when I closed the boot, I could almost still see that these weren't contacting - the boot was freely moving! No super-duper rubber tight seal.... So I pushed the middle bits up so that there should now be a connection - too hard to see now but I think I can feel it.

I drove in today and honestly, 99% of the time it was perfect. Still a hint of it over big bumps but I *think* that's the same for most cars. I need to check it over more yellow traffic light non-skid road but I did go over some today and didn't hear it.

Fingers crossed but I think that's it. Might have saved myself a lot of money here...

Please for those with AND without the issue, can you post a pic of how high up those stoppers in the last image are on your SKODA?

Thanks!

I hope that it helps you as you were having a terrible time of it.

However, that's the way my side stoppers sit, fully extended, but I still have the issue.

I'll grab a pic later before I head home in it.

(I do sometimes wonder if perhaps the side stopper on the bootlid side needs an extra washer or two behind it to properly grab the stopper on the C pillar?)

Don't get disheartened by mine.

You've noticed an improvement which hopefully draws a line under it for yourself, these issues seem to be different across cars - some don't have it, some cure it with rubber stoppers, some change dampers, some fit a spare wheel and boot liner etc. hopefully you've cured (or at least mostly) with the side stoppers, so my example may have a different resonance to what fixes your Octavia.

Well like I say, there is still a hint of it with me and I still really need to check over all conditions so I'm really just crossing my fingers for now.... The German (Octavia & Rapid) forums apparently still also say it's mainly the boot lid causing the problem. Is there scope for other rubber stoppers that can be used in place of the ones already there?

Also note I still have pillows in the spare wheel well and still have masses of blankets in the boot itself and one on the boot shelf. I'll remove those at a later date after I've tested it more as-is. When I clunk the door closed I still think there's a bit of reverberation but it didn't seem to translate to any boom when I was driving this morning.

If (!) this is a fix for my own one, it's such a massive weight off my shoulders - I've been so happy this morning. But I'm determined to find out once and for all if it is ok or not and why others don't seem to get fixed with the same "solution" ...

Here's hoping I wasn't deluding myself this morning...

FYI if those stoppers wear away over time I can see how they'd need replaced. Are yours in good nick?

I'll take pictures later, it is just over a 3 year old car - the newest car I've ever owned - so I'd be surprised if they were that worn, at one point had added a self adhesive felt square to the stoppers to try and increase the potential contact, made no difference and they just ended up falling off.

Maybe it'd be worth putting something between the fixed rubber stoppers (on the boot lid sides) and the lid itself... maybe they're not contacting the ones on the body itself? If you push them out a bit they might make more contact? First need to determine if they are making contact or not. Could maybe put two sticky bits of paper on each, one with fresh ink... and if you close the boot and the paper doesn't tear away or get an ink imprint... they're not touching at all... ?

Edited by guitarman001

Need to experiment with the rubber stoppers now too... Will unscrew them one full rotation for the drive back home. 

Reasoning : the more body contact the better.. but I don't want them so far out that they minimise the side stopper contact as those appear to be crucial.

I'm glad that's helped out. I imagine over a few years they must move down or the rubber wears down. Its a big hatch, and it gets slammed quite a bit, so it will move/wear the rubbers.

I keep telling my missus not to slam it...

There are the revised types that might be worth buying if it doesnt get better, Skoda dealer should  be able to look the part numbers up.

Thanks for the pics - it's really disappointing that doing this hasn't helped you out, but then I've only given mine the one drive this morning so will have to see how it fares over the coming week. Just at work, will think on this (not that I've got any grand solution!)

Really does sound like boot lid harmonics that change when rear goes over bumps (boot lid becomes heavier then lighter as rear forced up and down).

Is this to do with the rubber seal not being in good contact with the hatch?

Edited by bigjohn