Sat Nav firmware/maps versions

sez

You haven't listed the maps version in that list. You've got pretty much everything else though. The maps will be something like 7920 or 8048. Other than that you're not too badly off really.

No speed cameras in the official maps, just new roads in the latest versions.

Thanks, Rustynuts....map version is 7918. So, do you think it is reasonably new or should I be asking expecting an upgrade from dealer? I'm buying this car and have already asked them to upgrade it to V12 but we all know about these dealers....

Any tips will be really useful. Thanks.

As others have found, you might have fun getting the latest maps (V12) from a Skoda dealer as they seem to be a couple of issues behind VW. Someone managed to get V10 as the latest update when he bought the disc from them, while someone else was promised an upgrade to V12 and then was told he couldn't (after the deal had been done or something.

So you can try for an updated map, but I doubt you'll get V12. I'd ask for the cost of the disc knocked off the price of the car. :sun: (£200 odd).

Thanks, Rustynuts  :thumbup:  So, based on the details above...which version do you think it is? Would you be able to tell me plz??

Which version of Columbus, do you mean? The part number refers to a DAB unit which is certainly one of the better ones, and possibly (based on the maps and car year) a 2012 model. Update the maps and don't worry any more about it.

Hi everyone.

I have just purchased a 2012 Elegance Estate. It has:

Part No. 3T0035680C

HW Version H60

SW Version 3984

West Europe

Navteq

Map Version HDD 7551

What are my options for upgrading?

Any help is appreciated.

Options are either "Yes you can" or "No I wouldn't bother".

You can update the maps to the latest version with no problem at all, or you can update the firmware to give you virtually no difference to what you have at the moment other than radio text (tells you what song is playing at any given time). Firmware updates are possible, but there's not really any benefit to be had and there's always the possibility of damaging the unit. Latest maps version is VW 8195 and although Skoda should be somewhere near that the dealers have little or no idea about what's available really, so easiest option is to run with VW really.

Options are either "Yes you can" or "No I wouldn't bother".

You can update the maps to the latest version with no problem at all, or you can update the firmware to give you virtually no difference to what you have at the moment other than radio text (tells you what song is playing at any given time). Firmware updates are possible, but there's not really any benefit to be had and there's always the possibility of damaging the unit. Latest maps version is VW 8195 and although Skoda should be somewhere near that the dealers have little or no idea about what's available really, so easiest option is to run with VW really.

Thanks for the response, I will track down the VW 8195 maps and update that.

• 1 month later...

I notice that those new maps for the rns300 are done by TomTom..... VW did announce a link up with TomTom back in January so I wonder does that mean the next Columbus maps will be TomTom maps too?

And a possibility that the v13 maps could in some areas be less up to date than the v12 maps they replace depending on how the tomtom maps compare to the navteq ones.