Do winter tyres affect fuel economy on Green tec?

Mick 50

Hi I'm hopefully changing from a fabia 1.2 tsi to a Citigo green tech 75ps and was wondering if I fit winter tyres would it effect the economy very much or if at all ? . My reason for asking is I'm swapping to get most mpg as possible , nearly all my mileage while working is short stop start journeys .

Any help advice would be welcome,thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant imagine affecting economy that much tbh

Maybe a couple of mpg at a push?

Im sure one of the more technically minded members will have a detailed response for you anyway.

Let us know if you do get one :)

Cheers

Damo

we used continetal winters all last winter, and there was NO noticable decrease in economy, in fact it just kept improving as the engine got run in more.... (need to get 'em back on actually, said it was gonna snow on the 19th ! :o )

Edited by sharkrider

Thanks for info I've missed out on two cars one in silver nice looking car , other was black and at auction but it went pear shaped due to wonderfully slow broadband My mate was ripping his hair out lol

Fingers crossed but there does not appear to many secondhand Greentech's out there .

Tyre wise I have Dunlop winter sports on my fabia at the minute and did not notice much difference economy wise , I just wondered as the Greentech's have low resistance tyres if it would greatly effect the economy ,so will see if what other info I get .

When I find a nice car the Dunlops and steel wheels be but up for sale on the fabia forums to fund the citigo's new winter tyres . Any idea on good prices? Once again thanks for any help

Cheers

Mick

Yes I changing for that reason , with my work being all short stop start trips it's not all that good 30.8 in last fill. once it's on a run it's fine . On holiday 4 people large choccie lab and full load in boot 48 to gallon on bp juice

I can confirm that the tsi is indeed not that great. ????

44mpg average according to the trip computer. And that's 90% dual carriageway for 50 miles round trip. I've had it up around 50 before but that was driving ridonculously.

Tiny engines pulling larger bodies just does not give good mpg the engine has to work too hard to drag it around.

Ref OP post would have thought it would be pretty negligeable difference on mpg with winters.

IMHO why does everyone on here start swapping tyres for winter? This just seems to be some sort of fad in our climate?

If you live on the high moors and have a couple of months proper winter I could understand but looking at some of the posters cities they hardly see months of ice/snow to warrant all this crazy tyre /wheel swapping?

I lived in Germany for a few years and it was common place down in the cold areas but not so much at all in the warmer parts, I'm at a loss where people get the idea that a decent all year tyre is not able to cope with an average UK winter.

But what do I know living on top of Dartmoor :)

With a decent all round tyre ;)

To answer Defenderben yes it could well be a fad ,but I fitted winter tyres on my fabia last year and they are on it now living as I do I deepest darkest Leicester people could be right in thinking why do I need them but as it states in my original post all my trips are short ones on mainly country roads that hardly get gritted and housing estates where they never seen the grit truck in years they offer loads more grip than ordinary tyres . When my car was less than fortnight old we had a fall of snow all 3 inches of it lol.I was crossing a junction when a idiot came through a red light straight in front of me I

stopped dead lucky for him ,if I had not got winters on he would have been cleared up . So I was glad I fitted them, they saved me and my wife from being involved in a serious accident

:)

Thanks for all your replies I'm just hoping to get a Citigo to put them on .

• Like 1

I've thought about winter tyres. It's hard not to when the motoring press bang on about them every Autumn. I've concluded that for the amount of snow I see (Cornwall, so maybe one day each winter) and the roads I mainly travel on (A30, A38) there's no real advantage.

What I will be for looking next time I change tyres is good braking performance in the wet. Every Sunday recently has been like a 60-mile drive through a waterfall.

Tiny engines pulling larger bodies just does not give good mpg the engine has to work too hard to drag it around.

Efficiency improves when the engine works hard. To maintain speed there is no need for power nor large displacement.

That's why they make small displacement engines with turbo charger these days.

To get better mpg driver just have to look what's happening in front. If he pushes pedals all the time like organ player, it's impossible get good mpg. I see this almost every day. Brake lights illuminates on straight road. Must be very stressful too.

I've thought about winter tyres. It's hard not to when the motoring press bang on about them every Autumn. I've concluded that for the amount of snow I see (Cornwall, so maybe one day each winter) and the roads I mainly travel on (A30, A38) there's no real advantage.

What I will be for looking next time I change tyres is good braking performance in the wet. Every Sunday recently has been like a 60-mile drive through a waterfall.

Here we go again!! :wall:

" They are not JUST for Snow"

Do your roads in Cornwall get below 7C in the winter?

• Like 3

Well we finally tracked a greentech down got a 12 plate registered end of July Citigo 75ps elegance in silver with just 1100 miles on the clock must be a little old lady owner who has ragged it on the shopping trips lol

So I pick it up some time next week really looking forward to driving it .

By changing from a city go to a 1.2TSi, how much is that costing you, how long is it going to take to make that money back by having greater economy?

Back in topic - I'm surprised you're asking the question! So what if it cost you 2 mpg, are you seriously prepared to take extra safety risks for yourself on the roads to save a few quid?

I'm going from a fabia 1.2tsi to a Citigo as my fabia is a 62 plate and 4 month younger we are doing a straight swap so no cost involved.

Going back to the tyres as the Greentech's consumption figures are improved by using tyres with less rolling resistance and I was wondering how much of a trade of it would be , as they quote 9% for having the Greentech's package .

One other option safety wise is not bother working when weather really bad :) save cost of tyres the car stays in garage and I stay in the warm "simples"

:)