What's the best setting?

Anzio

What is the best setting for central heating controls. ie on and off at differing times, on with a fixed setting 24/7 etc. would be intersting to see what other people have found to be most economical.

What is the best setting for central heating controls. ie on and off at differing times, on with a fixed setting 24/7 etc. would be intersting to see what other people have found to be most economical.

feathers or lead?

Edit: Sorry for the opaque answer but it's pretty much the only one without more info.

Well insulated, modern housing tends to be better with constant heating... Balance of economy and comfort though... Depends entirely on use and subjective issues.... Do you feel the cold?

Edited by vindaloo

Was thinking the same question...have it one all day on low or in the morn on full and then again in the evening on full?  At the mo mine comes on at 7-9 am and 4:30-7pm.

k:)

Mine is now on 24x7 and set to the same temperature and will be until next spring. I found that having it on during certain times used more fuel than just leaving it on. I'll use around 700 litres of heating oil between now and next spring, based on the previous 2 winters with the thermostat on 19c.

The place I rent is more than 100 years old with solid stone walls, and is dreadful at heat retention (EPC rating E).

• Like 1

House occupied all day every day.

Mannyo gave me what I was looking for, it's cheaper to leave it on, than having it set on and off. ( and I do realise it depends on the temp setting ) I suppose it makes sense, as heating the place up for a couple of hours, then letting it cool down, the boiler would have to work harder to bring it back to what it was. ( again depending on insulation etc )

Or best of both world choice, buy a programmable thermostat, a slightly lower temp can be set overnight, or when house is unoccupied meaning house doesn't cool down as much as if heating was off. Boiler doesn't need to fire long to bring temp back up. Simples

Ive literally just this evening read something (from a boiler manufacturer) that the high and low temps should be no more than 5c apart otherwise its counter productive from an efficiency point of view. (on a modern boiler)

Personally i had mine set at a 15c minimum apart from a hour boost to 19 at 5am and another in the eve. although i have to admit i do notice the temp fluctuation in the evening and usually end up bumping the thermostat up a bit.

Basically the more control you have the better - given im getting a new system installed soon im looking at weather compensating controls that keep the boiler firing more of the time but at a lower rate to reduce temperature fluctuations.