MPG

Hi I'm new to the forum so apologies if this subject has already been done to death in previous threads.

Last Monday I took delivery of an Octavia Estate Elegance 2.0 tdi and was wondering what mpg I should expect to get around town and on the motorway. I've downsized from a Chevrolet Captiva and the mpg was pretty poor on that but I was getting just over half the mpg on the published stats. I realize the published mpg for this Octavia is an unrealistic average of 67mpg but what are people getting in reality?

I got 45mpg from my VRS TDI estate manual on the first tank which was 2/3rd motorway at legal speed followed by 1/3 hard driving (A/B roads, sport mode, multiple overtakes etc) also at legal speed with 3 people in the car and their luggage / equipment for work.

2nd Tank was an 200 miles of A/B roads fairly hard then 200 miles of stop start heavy traffic on dual carrageway and a little bit of country road driving.  42mpg.

770 miles so far...

Edited to add

My MPG figures are worked out from tank to tank rather than using the trip computer as I don't trust them.

Edited by gullyg

Currently getting low 50's mpg from the VRS (TDI Manual) on most trips, not so good at the weekend for some reason :bandit:

According to the trip computer, my overall average so far is 50.1 mpg over 4000 miles.

Cheers for the info, seems like I should be getting between 40-50mpg on average and to hope for an improvement after a few thousand miles. I guess the colder weather will also have an effect so expect mpg to rise 2 or 3 mpg in warmer months.

Have only had the car a few days and it has done around 150 miles at around 39mpg but most of the miles have been urban. Will be taking it on a longer trip at the weekend so will see how it fairs on the dual carriageways.

Hi, picked up my VRS D Estate on Tuesday, getting 46MPG over first 200 miles, mainly country lanes/ city streets driving. Hoping this will improve over time, if I could see 50MPG I'd be reasonably happy!

2.0 tdi Elegance Hatch, 52.5mpg average over first 10,000 miles. Computer resets every 100hrs, but each time so far I have been at about 52.5 on the display when it rolls over. I haven't checked against receipts,etc., because I am delighted to be beating the 28.5mpg I was getting from my Saab!! Also according to its computer.

just under 14k on my 4 month old 1.6 DSG and according to fuelly, I am getting about 52mpg.

hope this helps.

I'm on fuelly also, 2.0 TDI Manual, averaging 54.1mpg since new on mainly Supermarket fuel over 10,780 miles at last fill up! Now running on Shell to see if I can get nearer to Timmy's big 60! :rofl:
  • Like 1

I'm on fuelly also, 2.0 TDI Manual, averaging 54.1mpg since new on mainly Supermarket fuel over 10,780 miles at last fill up! Now running on Shell to see if I can get nearer to Timmy's big 60! :rofl:

I predict you will, but the flat earth society members will not believe you!

• Like 4

I predict you will, but the flat earth society members will not believe you!

The flat earthlings should try coming to Sheffield to eek out a decent mpg!!

• Like 1

The flat earthlings should try coming to Sheffield to eek out a decent mpg!!

To be honest my "Big 60" is more down to my early morning lightly trafficked commute, no major hills and the motorway ending just outside the security gates where I work than Shell's Magic Formula.... Of course I don't take my Octavia outside of Hampshire in case I fall off the edge of the world..

Certainly DSG equipped cars seem to take a major hit in terms of fuel economy compared with the manual cars, can't quite understand why when petrol equipped DSG cars seem to do better than the equivalent manuals. In theory DSG should be more efficient as there are only milli seconds between changes

Edited by Timoctav

From my own experience being on my 2nd 2.0 CR VAG car (first a 140 now a 170) they do not return great fuel economy until they've done a few miles.

My MK6 Golf CR 140 would return early 40's, gradually improved and was much better following its first service. By the time I got rid of it 3.5 years later with 50k on the clock it would return mid late 50's on most runs; over 60 on a long run if driven sensibly. Published figures for that car was 57.7mpg I believe.

My Octy 170 CR DSG with 9k on the clock isnt fantasic, best ive seen is 52mpg on a long journey, mid late 40's being the rough average but DSG is not as efficient as the manual and do expect it to improve over time. Published figure for the car is 47.7 which isnt great IMO but it is considerably quicker than the 140 Golf so forgiving of that.

You'll probably also notice a natural decline in MPG as garages start supplying winter diesel (believe the blend is different), my car currently is struggling to return 40 mpg on a 10 mile run from work to home at the moment which is considerably worse than it was a few weeks back.

Edited by pipsyp

Anyone else in a 2.0 TDI DSG? I'm in an Elegance trim model and shocked at the low MPG. Averaging 45.7.

Anyone else in my boat?

42ish on my commute to work, 47ish on long motorway runs.

DSG + Diesel = Crap mpg.

Certainly DSG equipped cars seem to take a major hit in terms of fuel economy compared with the manual cars, can't quite understand why when petrol equipped DSG cars seem to do better than the equivalent manuals. In theory DSG should be more efficient as there are only milli seconds between changes

The only 'fuel saving' you get on a DSG is when changing gear..... but that only applies if it changes gear as often as a manual which it doesn't....it changes gear more often, has different ratios, uses fuel for no forward motion when pulling away (wet clutch) and is at least 10mpg worse than equivocal engine with manual box.

Petrol DSG is an entirely different beast.... emissions are lower than a manual and economy is slightly better.

To be fair the 7 speed DSGs have improved efficiency as their clutch plates arent having to overcome the oil bath induced friction suffered with the 6 speed unit, claimed by VAG to be even more efficient than their manual counterparts.

Also I believe the 7 speed box has a coasting function which contributes to lower CO2 and MPG.