Common issues?

cobreti

Hi,I'm looking to trade (up?) my Subaru Outback -08 for a Superb (CR170, 4x4, manual). My financial situation is making me look at -10/-11 models. 

What are the common issues?

Regarding service interval, is it true that Skoda states 4years timelimit on the belt?

Very good choice we have got the manual 170cr 4x4 elegance estate (didn't make the dsg then) and its stunning,  Good fuel economy nice ride and handles really well for a big bus. Not many issues on these as long as they are serviced regularly. Phil.

I've only had my 2009 170cr DSG elegance since September.

My budget secured me a high miler 111000 miles.

I paid £355 for an independent garage to replace the cambelt, water pump kit and aux belt at the same time.

I too self service, this week I changed oil, oil filter, air, fuel and pollen, which were all very easy. All in for £61.

I had the alloys refurbed.

Replaced one of the fog lights due to condensation.

The GPS aerial failed and if you see my other post I found an easy fix; also the columbus went through a restart issue and after much searching again you'll see on my other post I found a firmware and then upgraded the map to resolve the problem.

I have also replaced the rear brake discs and pads, the brackets were a bit of a pig to get off- but other than that an easy process. I bought Mintex for £65.

It's a fantastic to drive; great engine and the DSG is brilliant, I've rarely used the shift and occasionally used the sport mode.

Only downsides-

DPF I'm assuming creates a lot of soot smell which I think is down to the low miles I cover and it going through the self burning stage.

Rear demister is useless, the ventilation system does a good job though and I'm sure the rear door pillow vents help.

I was accused by the wife of having other people in the passenger seat due to the position changing every time she got back in, under investigation when she got out she always pressed down on the adjusting knob! lol!

Enjoy

You might also want to read up on the thread where a few people have been having problems with the narrow drivers seat causing their right leg to go numb.  Some folks have reported a troublesome dash rattle near the passenger door.     There isn't really much else that has caused consistent complaints from users here.

Bought my 170 dsg elegance Skoda approved @ 43000 mls now done 47500  some caravan towing , best car ever owned and I had many over 45 years motoring,  No probs, best points dsg  park assist and magnificent build quality. 

Other than the occasional soot smell when the regen cycle kicks in I've not yet had any dpf warning light.

From what I've read the CR engine is better suited to the dpf as opposed to the PD.

Have not noticed any active regens , better if you are doing longer runs will do doing passive regens. PD engines are not to happy with DPF fitted, CR much better, plenty of posts on subject, my last Skoda 140 hp pd bkd engine did not have a dpf .

Cobreti, I sold up from an 09 Legacy diesel to a 4x4 1.9tdi Superb. I loved the Legacy because it was a drivers car; great chassis feedback and road holding, but always that worry that something would fail ( the gearbox went with 2 weeks warranty left) The Superb is a dull and unrewarding car to drive in comparison, but it is better than the Legacy/Outback in just about every other way and detail. The gear ratios are much better,ditto power delivery, space, and specifications. There are probably more electrics to go wrong on the Superb, but the build quality feels much higher; after all, they don`t build Subarus like they used to. My air con has an annoying rattle, and you may find the front seats less comfortable on a long journey, despite them having far more adjustments. Good luck; I think you will be happy.

I've only had my 2009 170cr DSG elegance since September.

My budget secured me a high miler 111000 miles.

I paid £355 for an independent garage to replace the cambelt, water pump kit and aux belt at the same time.

I too self service, this week I changed oil, oil filter, air, fuel and pollen, which were all very easy. All in for £61.

I had the alloys refurbed.

Replaced one of the fog lights due to condensation.

The GPS aerial failed and if you see my other post I found an easy fix; also the columbus went through a restart issue and after much searching again you'll see on my other post I found a firmware and then upgraded the map to resolve the problem.

I have also replaced the rear brake discs and pads, the brackets were a bit of a pig to get off- but other than that an easy process. I bought Mintex for £65.

It's a fantastic to drive; great engine and the DSG is brilliant, I've rarely used the shift and occasionally used the sport mode.

Only downsides-

DPF I'm assuming creates a lot of soot smell which I think is down to the low miles I cover and it going through the self burning stage.

Rear demister is useless, the ventilation system does a good job though and I'm sure the rear door pillow vents help.

I was accused by the wife of having other people in the passenger seat due to the position changing every time she got back in, under investigation when she got out she always pressed down on the adjusting knob! lol!

Enjoy

Hi Smiler I ordered 1 of those GPS cables from ebay . Could you tell me what firmware you are on now and maps please.

Is a new cable the only fix for no satalites or could I try an older firmware then reload maps ???

I think the issue is mainly GPS aerial failure, not that surprising as it's within the whale fin so mine being 4 years old is bound to endure condensation etc which is probably why they changed the design.

I used firmware 4120 from http://www.rnsfirmware.com

I'm not near the car at moment but think its v.9

This firmware allows access to secret menus and also full postcode.

• 4 weeks later...

Cobreti; Happy Christmas and New Year. I have just returned from the Alps yesterday, a round journey of 1800 miles, and the Superb coped with it, well, superbly. I got the whole family and ski equipment inside, rather than needing a roof box, and it pulled well at all times, cruising at 140 kph. It was a bit overloaded, which made it feel a bit saggy and bouncy on country roads, and the dash creaked a bit. The only problem, which seems to be across the VAG range, was that the Colombus satnav froze up for a half hour period. It was, dare I say it, a much smoother journey than in the Legacy. I hope that you enjoy yours, especially washing it twice as much, it being white. :giggle:   

Happy new year to you too. Haha yeah, washing it twice a year will be a burden :-I Seriously, you should get time offmfrom work when you've got a family. I keepmcutting corners everywhere just to keep up!

From what I've read I shouldn't worry about the oil pump issues that haunts earlier 2.0 tdi's?

hi,

I've had my 4 year old Superb CR170 for about 3 months and it is easily the best car I have ever owned. So far, I've had no problems at all. I've driven 2 Ford Mondeos for the last 7 years, and wile they were good cars, the Superb is better. The only thing I miss from the Mondeo is the heated front windshield (essential in Sweden I would have thought!!)  and I would say the seats are a bit bigger in the Mondeo.

I have done a lot of reading of different forums on here, and I think the CR 2l is fairly bullet proof. The only problems reported by other owners (not me) is a noise at a certain rev range - perhaps something to check before handing your money over. Please find my notes below. I hope you really enjooy your new car - I certainly do (I'm even thinking of actually cleaning it myself!!)

170 CR Problem
Superb 2 170 cr dsg 2000 miles
i have an engine vibration between 12 to 1500 rpm .
It happens driving or stationary
any ideas skodas dont know whats wrong

I hear a noise between 1200 and 1500,it's a very different noise,but it's diesel specific,it was present on my old Octavia too.I don't have any vibration though.

About 2-3 days ago I heard a strange noise and only now I realised it's the noise that CHINCHILLA described. It's between 1100/1200 and 1500 rpm.After about 1550-1600 rpm the vibration goes off.I am very sure there is a problem,the noise wasn't
there before.I have around 14.000km.

Well, I forgot to tell you that the first time when I heard the noise I had a look under the car because it seemed to me that the noise/vibration is coming from the exhaust.I also have some strange noise when I hit a bump,it's a very strong noise coming from the front wheels.And the second noise can be heard stationary when I turn the steering wheel clockwise and then very fast counter-clockwise.Same noise can be heard when I take a turn at high speed,I brake very hard or I accelerate hard (bushes?).Maybe all these noises are related to each other.

Hi, have just had my first 18500 service completed on my 170 CR Octavia vRS and since it has come back from the dealer I have
had exactly the same problem that you are describing. It has been smooth as silk for 18000 odd miles but now feels as rough
as a badgers with a nasty vibration around the 1200-1500 rpm mark both stationary out of gear and on the move (sounds like
exhaust baffle or shield). I too have heard strange loud metallic pinging sounds recently from the front.

I think you will find it's an air hose somewhere giving it a throaty note, hard to find mind you as it will be a mini crack where the sound is escaping from, my Sup 1 does it at the same rpm,

Found it easily enough with bonnet open and someone gently reving the car for me. It was coming from the air intake assembly
and I could stop the noise by putting my hand on it. It is now fixed by wedging a piece  of dense foam between the bottom of the air intake and the top of the radiator. May try something more permanent when I get time.

Try the air filter housing I have had mine replaced due a vibration under the waranty

Had the same issue, went to Skoda`s, they did a fix on the air intake pipe, cruising silently now, whoever has this problem,
that is probably your best bet. The other vibration noise only hearable when the hood is up is from the high pressure
injectors. All the cars have this from new, the Skoda techy demoed this to me today when fixing mine.
So go to Skoda, they will fix it either under warranty, or if you have extended warranty they will not consider it, but it only costs £40 to fix it anyway, so worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

Mines an 09 170bhp elegance.

In the main its been great.

Few issues though.

3 alloys had bubbling issue and replaced the 4 under warranty.

Occasional rattle near passenger door. 

Rear heated window stopped working.

Fuel filler cap occasionally wont open. Takes 10-12 attempts and eventually opens.

Had both fog lights replaced under warranty for clouding.

I have a rattling in the proximity of the dash on the passnegr side....

After much checking, listening, pushing and feeling, we found that tha passengre glove compartment push button latch was the culprit!

We have cleaned it out with a silicon based cleaner and now it seems to have fixed it!

Edited by massimo