Real world MPG

Interesting, yesterday I did a 300 mile round trip in mine. Mix of roads and traffic conditions. In normal mode, which I believe is the most effective.

Achieved 41.5 mpg at an average speed of 48 mph.

Oh ! I don't drive like an" old fart". A lot down to driving style , you can be quick and smooth , makes all the difference.

Going to work /local mileage,it's doing approx. 36 mpg.

Pretty good , just turned 3000 since Sept yesterday , so engine etc. must be beading in

Thats somewhat a relief to see you say that about the Petrol, I've put my initial deposit down today after test driving the tsi dsg and managed 38 average on a 8 mile motorway trip, figures were thrown off in the wrong direction though as the guy had used the car shortly before me so the trip stuff hadn't reset.

Its good to see the Tsi can get reasonable figures for the motorway trips.

• Like 1

I regularly get 58mpg (computer) average on my journeys to and from work. 22 miles of A roads and a motorway stretch. Last full tank of fuel cost me £55 and got approx 510 miles out if it.

Fuel economy is massively down to the way you drive the car and the cold conditions. I think when summer hits mine will easily reach the projected 67 mpg average on the 2.0 TDi 150

I regularly get 58mpg (computer) average on my journeys to and from work. 22 miles of A roads and a motorway stretch. Last full tank of fuel cost me £55 and got approx 510 miles out if it.

Fuel economy is massively down to the way you drive the car and the cold conditions. I think when summer hits mine will easily reach the projected 67 mpg average on the 2.0 TDi 150

Don't want to burst your bubble, but that is more like 51mpg. How many litres did you have to put in to fill the tank again? It is only a 50l tank when completely empty, which is 11 gallons. Assuming you had to put 45l in, which is what mine takes to fill, you have done 510 miles off of 10 gallons, or 51mpg.

Ignore the trip computer, and use something like fuelly if you want to get a true reading of mpg over many tankfulls.

Sent from my phone so please excuse brevity and spelling

I have the 2.0 tdi estate manual and after 3 weeks of ownership get 35-40mpg around town and around 55mpg on dual carriageway.

My previous car was a chevy captiva and it got me mpg paranoid but that is beginning to go with the hugely more fuel efficient Octy.

Just done 4500 miles in my 2.0 Elegance hatch manual. Been averaging 55-58 driving steady 70 90% of the time. Just tried a tankful at steady 60 (hard to keep up) and went 590 miles before putting 42 litres in - just over 64mpg. Great but no fun..

• Like 1

Just done 4500 miles in my 2.0 Elegance hatch manual. Been averaging 55-58 driving steady 70 90% of the time. Just tried a tankful at steady 60 (hard to keep up) and went 590 miles before putting 42 litres in - just over 64mpg. Great but no fun..

590 is a good return on a tank, most I have got so far is 522 off of 43.87l

590 is a good return on a tank, most I have got so far is 522 off of 43.87l

thats not bad so that's a range of around 600 miles on 50 litres.

Diesels tend to take 10000 + miles before they loosen up so i would expect to see you achieve 60+ on long steady trips eventually.

Also as DavidF3911 said, doing a slow boring run at 60 your more likely to get near the manufacture figures, i doubt you'd ever get it doing 70 or more unless it was all down hill.

People often talk about mpg improving on a diesel car after 10k miles as the engine beds in/loosens up. Can anyone explain to a non dieselhead like myself why that is?

Because all the moving parts in the engine and drivetrain wear in and loosen up so it takes less fuel to turn them.

• 3 weeks later...

People often talk about mpg improving on a diesel car after 10k miles as the engine beds in/loosens up. Can anyone explain to a non dieselhead like myself why that is?

I hope it comes a little sooner than that. My first 100 miles have returned a grand total of..... drum roll...... drum roll..... drum roll...34.2 mpg during normal driving.  And I convinced my wife that a new VRS would make sense because it would be more efficient than our old car. Oops.

I hope it comes a little sooner than that. My first 100 miles have returned a grand total of..... drum roll...... drum roll..... drum roll...34.2 mpg during normal driving.  And I convinced my wife that a new VRS would make sense because it would be more efficient than our old car. Oops.

What kind of route did the 100 miles consist off Skovirg?

A few one mile trips to enter the motorway followed by about 9 miles at 60/70 mph, a few heavy (Christmas shoppers) city centre crawls, a few three mile trips to the shops and the rest journeys of around 7/8 miles on mixtures of A and B roads.

I'm aiming to give her a decent motorway run on Sunday and when work starts again that will be the norm. I will admit to being disappointed  with these figures though.  My old C5 averaged 48.6 over the last 9000 miles we spent together and I think over these first 100 miles, that would have returned figures in the low 40's.  The cynic in me suggests that the efficiency of engines doesn't increase anywhere near as quickly as the manufacturers stated mpg claims but hopefully I will be corrected.

Ignore the trip computer, and use something like fuelly if you want to get a true reading of mpg over many tankfulls.

Not sure why you need to use fuelly to find out what the accurate fuel consumption is? I just use a calculator

Not sure why you need to use fuelly to find out what the accurate fuel consumption is? I just use a calculator

It's a nice way to keep a history though and it will give you an average over every fill up, also it's nice that it contributes to a public database that others can use to compare etc.

• Like 1

When I first got my Octavia I used to check it at every fill - mainly because I couldn't believe how good it was, now I don't bother. All too easy to get paranoid about economy which then can affect driving enjoyment. Last time I checked accurately I was getting around 60 mpg, now with the colder weather I suspect it has deteriorated a bit, it doesn't bother me. I can understand why you'd use Fuelly though for the reasons you've explained.

I am just amazed that I am getting equal or better economy from the Octavia than I was getting from a tiny Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel! And it only has to be serviced around every 18,000 miles rather than every 10,000 miles with the Yaris. A truly superb car, probably all the car you ever need logically.

Edited by Timoctav