Octavia EGR problem and removing

Hi to all

Got Octavia 1.6tdi 2010. 120K on the clock.

Tonight car went to limp mode with glow plug light flashing and managmant light ON.

Went stright away to my friend to connect to computer, it shows EGR valve and  Low Coolant pressure  fault. We had erase all faults and car was ok for short while

Are those two fault relate to each other or not????

How easy to remove the EGR valve and can it be cleaned????

I use to have EGR problem on Mondeo but there easy job to remove and clean it but heard the same job on Octavia will take an ages?

Many thanx for any advice 

Regards

Andrey

So, been to skoda dealer this morning, to fix the problem I will need 350 pounds for EGR valve, 650 pounds for labor, mechanic said that job is the worst they ever done and refuse to make it as a home work. Will order the parts on Monday, egr itself gona cost me £280 with my discount+ clips and gaskets. Found local VAG indy who will do the job for £250 cash. Had been visit my frind with VCDC to make sure the car drop the same fault code. So now I know for 100% the egr faulty. Was try to ask indy to reduce my bill by cleaning the valve, they said that the part needs to be remove and looked if it possible to clean, because the new egr's are defferent to the the old classic ones. It must get it done by Wednesday I'll update. Sorry if I made spealing mistake

Edited by krotov71
  • Like 1

650 quid for labour?!?!??!?

That because the drive shaft has to be dropped or something I guess?

Insane! Worth disabling perhaps all together?

Or ask Mech to remove it for you, and you take it away to clean it perhaps saving an hour or two labour.

Christ I had this Limp mode thing a few times, first was the g450 pressure sensor, then for no apparent reason at all!! however it had been running rough anyway so I removed the EGR and Antishudder, cleaned them all with carb cleaner, got a new seal and gasket reduction from a seat and all been ok ever since.. eventually ill get around to posting the pics of the EGR and shudder valve but for now id say have a go at cleaning them before spending nearly 800 quid!! Christ they are thieving Bstards at some dealers

Just drop the car to Indy garage

Spoke with one of the chap who possible run the business, ask him again if possible to clean the valve. He said that they let me know tomorrow what exactly wrong with it. Said they will connect VCDS to EGR at first, modern valves got electrical plug instead a vacuum, then they see if it got electric problem, mechanical or clogged. Promise to save some money if possible but honestly dont trust anyone if it is money related...

Will update tomorrow

If you are ask for some part number then I can not tell anything as I get no access to any parts number.

By the way, my local Skoda dealer (Willi's Skoda in Ruislip)  rang me on Monday, said that they have no parts and ask me to wait 10 working days to get the order.

I call to the Indy garage with request to order the EGR valve, they call me back in 10 minutes with order done for £12 dearer.

Strange, they said  all Volkswagen group UK have a same Warehouse.  Ohhh, Skoda,Skoda  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

Perhaps these people may help (re the EGR valve problem) - Darkside developments

My car is a 1.9tdi bkc and recently I had to replace the EGR valve. The job was a bit awkward and dirty (that diesel sludge gets everywhere and is filthy stuff) but the total cost was £60 + vat + postage. The people there are really helpful. Below is the link for my car........

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/vw-audi-1-9-2-0-exhaust-gas-recirculation-valve-egr-038-131-501-an.html

I hope this helps you with your car

Tom

If I get the old stile EGR I would do the job by my own. My car is 2 years old so EGR valve is hidden behind the engine under a turbo charger. The part itself is different, it is going together with cooler. So this problem not easy to sort it out.

download_zps598c0a01.jpg

Thats the one i used, easy enough to fit in place of the old one... make sure you clean any crap off the pipe and the side of the EGR to make sure its a snug fit...  also somewhere in my pictures is my EGR clean pics that I uploaded yesterday.. wasnt the dirtiest ive seen but certainly benefited from a clean.

Thats the one i used, easy enough to fit in place of the old one... make sure you clean any crap off the pipe and the side of the EGR to make sure its a snug fit...  also somewhere in my pictures is my EGR clean pics that I uploaded yesterday.. wasnt the dirtiest ive seen but certainly benefited from a clean.

They were play with it over the top of the engine about 4 hours. My egr  was clean enough for 120K on the clock, don't know what  cause the electric unit to fail.....  The dealer said this is common problem with all new models, I've seen lot of removed EGR's in their back storage!

Edited by krotov71

The electric units can fail exactly because of the nature of it being an electrical device.. some may last forever, some may fail a day after leaving the factory...

I have heard of the anti shudder failing because the teeth on the cogs inside strip when they start to get caked up with carbon, but not heard anything about the electrics in the EGR failing... 

The picture you posted doesnt look anything like my EGR so i guess its hard to say if there is any common problems between the 2 types, at least its sorted now though

Oh dear - I've just developed this fault too and it's on its way to Vindis in Cambridge. Last time it went there they had £1500 out of me for a dash pod.....  :@

What year is your VRS?  can you post a pic of your engine?  

I imagine the engine will be a roughly similar one to mine then assuming its the PD170.. have a look at my pictures and you will see the EGR etc right at the front of the engine.. Its fairly easy to remove and clean as long as you are not a complete mechanical numpty... its only really 3 long torx screws that hold it all together, 2 bolts on the side for the EGR pipe, and 1 bolt down by the bottom right of the engine as you look at it.. all are in my pictures.. if you attempt it and get stuck then give me a shout.. aim for about an hour to remove it and about 30 mins to put it back in. a lot hinges on removing the bolt holding the EGR pipe to the engine though, if you dont remove this first you dont get enough room to move the pipe away from the EGR to get to the hidden one behind it.. pain in the arse when no one tells you..

I used wynns carb cleaner and toothbrush and tooth pics.. wear gloves as you get covered in crap, and also wear goggles or you may blind yourself if you flick carb cleaner in your eye like i did!!! (all ok though, washed it out quick)

Just to log another failure like this on my May 2011 Octavia 1.6tdi after 26000 miles. Glad that it is under warranty still reading the costs quoted. Dealer says it is a 5 hour job. On positive side Skoda Assistance very helpful in recovering vehicle and providing replacement Octavia (63 plate petrol) whilst mine is with dealer. Apparently VAG just installed new parts computer system which is problematic  so I'm not holding my breath as to how quickly the part is delivered.