New Roomster... first impressions

g1tpo

At long last I collected my Roomster today....

I traded in a basic 1.4tdci Fiesta "two door", so my initial impressions are probably due to comparison with the Fiesta!

My Roomster is a 1.2 TSI 105, SE Trim

Firstly it's VERY quiet...so much so that it was ticking over and I could only tell it was running cos the revcounter was registering!

Build quality looks great....very well put together.

I found the front doors quite small....or rather short...but then again I've had two door cars for years.  No problems getting in or out...... it's just there doesn't seem much door.  The front windows are also quite small.... cooly resting my elbow against the windows won't work very well cos the door sides are fairly high.

I've only done 40 miles toaday, and whatever anyone else may say...I'm paying for it, so I'm running it in!  I've never used more than 2000 revs so far, but it seems to get up and go quite well... even when driving it very carefully.  The brakes are also amazing!

It looks great with the alloy wheels, black roof rack and Cappachino paint job.

I have one (probably daft) question for you other owners....What's that strange bit of transparent plastic for, to the bottom right of the windscreen?  At first I thought it was something to do with installing the windscreen and had been left in place by mistake..., but on calling at my dealers tonight (they were closed) I noticed all new Roomsters have it.  I assume it's for holding a map, parking ticket, or whatever??

Will update this when I've done some more miles

Rob, Seghill, Northumberland

Edited by g1tpo

All cars should have one ,so simple yet so useful.No sticking things to the windscreen,or putting tickets on the dash that blow off when you slam the door.A penny's worth of plastic but great!

People may rubbish the rest of the car but the ticket holders great!

• Like 3

Nice.  We've had our '07 model for three years, and have missed having heated mirrors on occasion, until I discovered it did, and it was just knowing how to turn them on. Every other car I've had, they came on with the heated rear screen, but on our Roomster it's a matter of turning the mirror switch 180 degrees to point towards what looks like a heated mirror symbol,,, Doh! :blush:  Scared I was going to break it first time I tried.

The plastic ticket clip was one of the primary reasons I bought my Roomster. My two drinking buddies have a fully loaded petrol Freelander and a Jaguar XF and both are in total awe of Skoda's ingenuity, well that and the brilliant panoramic roof and the fact it only costs 10p a week to run.

Just need to stop them referring to it as the "Cut n Shut"!!

I have had a Roomster SE TSI 86 for just over a year now my first Skoda despite opposition from SWMBO. Certainly think a very under rated car, lovely to drive and with the panoramic roof lets in plenty of light on dull days. Very economical, only problem with sunblinds opening by themselves setting off alarm and rear passenger window opening by itself - both solved under warranty by dealer.

Mine is in brilliant silver but have had black vinyl on both sides around the front side windows and along the top of the front

wings ( similar to a scheme on the Czech market two tone vehicles ) and it seems to overcome the strange line of the

car from heights of the front to rear doors. Also changed the front, rear and alloy wheel badges for those on the 2013 model -

more attractive and less likely to suffer from water ingress problems than the green variety. All in all, love it to bits. !!!!  

I`ll just echo all that`s been said above.Great little underrated car that Skoda almost seem embarrassed by. I got the heated front seats on mine and certainly glad I did at this time of the year. Oh yes and the ticket holder is another very useful idea 

Hi Again, and thanks for the comments.....

It's typical....just got the car, and I've come down with a heavy cold...so I can't go out on test.

I'm reading the manual at the moment.  I'm used to basic cars, without some of the gadgets that are on the Roomster.  I've never even had a car with Air Con before!  It's interesting that the manual doesn't seem to have changed since earlier models.  Mine doesn't have a temp or conventional fuel guage on the tacho and speedo....as in the manual.  I don't think it's a big deal though.

I was interested to note the gearing of the Roomster.  My old Fiesta diesel was fairly highly geared, to make use of the diesel torque, and limited rev range.  I was suprised to see the Roomster has even higher gearing.  At 2000rpm the Fiesta was doing 52-53 mph, the Roomster is doing 55-56.  It certainly says something about modern petrol engine technologies, when the 1.2 TSI 86 produces the same torque as the 1.4 Ford diesel at 160Nm.  The TSI 105 is even better at 175 Nm

I'm going up into the Scottish Borders next week, so that'll be a better test..... will report back!

Rob

Edited by g1tpo

Had my Roomster for 2.5 years, it's a great little car. As mine has the DSG box I didn't have to worry too much about running in as the computer looked after things. 

The temp gauge is very simple, blue light = cold, no light = OK and red light = too hot.

With the DSG D mode for economy will always try to change gear below 2,000 revs, in S (sport mode) it will keep the revs between 2,000 and 3,000 so you get instant power from the loud pedal. The DSG will cruise at motorway speeds (70mph) in 7th at about 2,500 revs (not sure about the manual box).

As well as the ticket holder, the pop out shopping bag holders in the boot are really useful to stop things flailing about in the boot and the cubby under the passenger seat is handy too.

I'd read the section in your manual about running in.

I did wince slightly when you said you hadn't exceeded 2000rpm.

Personally I like my engines to be "Well" run in. :think:

(There's lots of debate about bedding in piston rings using Synthetic oil.)

etc...etc...etc... :whew:

"Hadn't exceeded 2000 rpm"...... I mean I'm changing up at 'about' 2000 rpm !!  I can't hand on heart say I haven't exceeded my self imposed rev limit!!  However now it's got over 200 miles on it, I'll gradually speed things up.  I admit the handbook isn't as strict as that though.....  it says don't use more than 3/4 of max in each gear - i.e. 4,500 rpm, and avoid full throttle for the first 1000Km.  As i said earlier I'm paying for it so I'll run it in my way...can't see it doing any harm...other than to strereotype my self as a "Grey haired old Skoda owner"!!!

I must admit I've had many discussions about 'running in' new cars.  A friend of mine (who was a Ford salesman ages ago) said that you shouldn't bother running in as such cos engines were 'bench run in', and just hammer hell out of the car.  This used to make me cringe....but he said any customers who bought demonstrators that he 'ran in' were very happy with them. 

Anyway I was out today.....and according to the computer averaged 46 mpg..... pretty good for a 'tight' engine.

Which reminds me of an old story.....   A bloke has a brand new E Type Jag..... on the back is a sticker...."Running in please pass".   A few weeks later the sticker is looking very tatty, and next to it is a brand new sticker:- "Run In....now try"!

TTFN

Rob

South Northumberland

Edited by g1tpo
  • Like 1