What was that 'bong'?

I’ve had my ’62 Octavia II for just over a month now and I’m still learning about it. This afternoon, when I opened the driver’s door, there were two rather melodic ’bong’ sounds, about 1 or 2 seconds apart. Not the higher pitched sound you get when you leave the lights on, though (and the lights weren’t on).

There was nothing amiss indicated by the dash indicator lights. The car started normally, I drove for several miles, and the next time I opened the door…nothing. So what did the ‘bongs’ indicate?

The only thing different on this occasion was that I noticed I had left the carcams on since the previous day. They draw power from the 12v socket beside the handbrake and I wondered if the sounds were a ‘low battery’ warning, although I’ve found no mention in the handbook.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Eddie-NL, the outside temperature was 8oC and the sounds 'played' when I opened the door and before I actually got in. I've had VAG cars foryears and this is a sound I haven't encountered before.

Edited to add: Thank you, ChrisRs, I did wonder, but the handbook doesn't mention it.

Edited by Paladine

It could be as simple as your parking lights are on. if you leave the indicators on then that will set you parking lights to that side. try it see what happens !!

if the bong Is short and sharp, it's the low temperatures warning - look for the ? beside the outside temperature in the instrument pod. It comes on at temperatures 4? - having said, I've had the ? come on at 5?.

If the bong is slow and dull, and repeats over a regular period it's a low battery warning. I get it when leaving the doors open when cleaning the car.

LOL

This post has been answered..It IS the low battery warning sound

I had the same last week Chris in the Fab II forum. I answered the OP yet people were still questioning what it was. (drain under the filler cap) :wall:  lol

LOL

This post has been answered..It IS the low battery warning sound

I was re-affirming your point as other suggestions were still coming up lol.

Although when the RAC man came out to jump start the car the other day he said he didn't know what the bong was... doh!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk