What is LSD, how does it work?

Hi

Now I know why I like reading this forum so much ... good info with humour

keep it up guys :rofl:

good luck with the project Jason ...... reminds me of when I was building

my cooper S rally car from a bare shell in the 1960`s

We are just trying to cheer J up he must be feeling a bit low though I haven't had a :finger: from him for ages:D

We are just trying to cheer J up he must be feeling a bit low though I haven't had a :finger: from him for ages:D

To make you better, here's one :finger:

Here's another..... :finger:

And a quick other one. :mad:

And a favourite of Denis.... :grumpy:

:rofl: Hope you're feeling better already! ;)

• Administrators

Well 2 way LSD on a RWD in the damp = death according to most S2000 drivers.

ESP, sack it off, only usefull in damp road when pushing on...or dry slip roads when being an idot *puts hand up*

That said LOOS might be a serious issue for you Jason....only time will tell, but it can be fun anyway.

Given your mechanical nouse you could see how it goes and perhaps in the future source one.

For your roads it might not be the best choice...I'm toying with getting one on top of a whole host of other 3 year old fixes, but then I have smooth A roads on my door step, not Moorland B's & A's.

ESP = handy for sliproads & wet conditions where you would be facing the other way otherwise potentially.

The one thing ESP can do which you cannot is to keep it pointing the right way (within reason) without actually steering differently.

This as opposed to driving with it off where you'd potentially have to steer rather sharpishly to stop the car spinning.

Apart from reducing power when you absolutely plant it from a standstill, which I hardly ever do anyway, it's not been bad.

ASR on the other hand only appears to have a negative impact when it kicks in.

When mine finally gets remapped sometime next year I'll find out how much ESP slows the car down for real, at the moment it's mainly going round bends (too) fast that could cause it to kick in, or when avoiding a muppet who decided to try and ram you of the road (where ESP basically saved my + passengers' bacon).

• Administrators

On the road...not sure it slows me down at all...not if you count the time it would take to pick the bits of wood out of the grill if I lost it anyway ;)

On track..I do two or three laps with it on, then it's off ofr the rest of the day as it really slows you down there.

ESP = handy for sliproads & wet conditions where you would be facing the other way otherwise potentially.

The one thing ESP can do which you cannot is to keep it pointing the right way (within reason) without actually steering differently.

This as opposed to driving with it off where you'd potentially have to steer rather sharpishly to stop the car spinning.

Apart from reducing power when you absolutely plant it from a standstill' date=' which I hardly ever do anyway, it's not been bad.

ASR on the other hand only appears to have a negative impact when it kicks in.

When mine finally gets remapped sometime next year I'll find out how much ESP slows the car down for real, at the moment it's mainly going round bends (too) fast that could cause it to kick in, or when avoiding a muppet who decided to try and ram you of the road (where ESP basically saved my + passengers' bacon).[/quote']

Just to answer Jason's questions in very basic terms - there've been a lot of good posts here so far but not the simplest explanation:

A differential allows the two driven wheels to travel at different speeds. This is necessary because when going round corners, the outer wheel has to travel further than the inner one. The downside of a conventional differential is that when the inner wheel loses grip, the differential allows it to spin, robbing power from the wheel on the outside which should be pulling the car round the corner.

A limited-slip differential has inbuilt resistance to this, so while it still allows the wheels to travel at different speeds, it doesn't allow such a large difference between the speed of the outer and inner wheel, and the inner one can't steal all the power from the outer one. This allows you to keep more power on during the bend, in theory.

Just to answer Jason's questions in very basic terms - there've been a lot of good posts here so far but not the simplest explanation:

A limited-slip differential has inbuilt resistance to this' date=' so while it still allows the wheels to travel at different speeds, it doesn't allow such a large difference between the speed of the outer and inner wheel, and the inner one can't steal all the power from the outer one. This allows you to keep more power on during the bend, in theory.[/quote']

Hi

From memory when driven in anger I can best describe the driving experience on loose surfaces with fwd as taking a couple of large dogs for a walk on leads..... at least 2 in each hand ....each set wanting to go in different directions ...

ie hang onto the steering wheel very tightly ... also good for developing your arm muscles :D

James has been trying to get me to buy a Quaife Automatic Torque Bias Diff (LSD) and a Kevlar clutch for ages... If I had the money, I'd get them fitted as they help to keep the power transfered to the road (instead of spinning one wheel and the clutch!).

James has been trying to get me to buy a Quaife Automatic Torque Bias Diff (LSD) and a Kevlar clutch for ages... If I had the money, I'd get them fitted as they help to keep the power transfered to the road (instead of spinning one wheel and the clutch!).

Lol, id have one too.. but unfortunately, i dont ave one of them money trees that jason has..

and iirc, unless its a hardcore track machine, the furby will always be too soft to really justify cost

LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) is one of the major drugs making up the hallucinogen class. LSD was discovered in 1938 and is one of the most potent mood-changing chemicals. It is manufactured from lysergic acid, which is found in ergot, a fungus that grows on rye and other grains.

:rofl: