Phone Problems

RSA

Just wondering if anyone can help with this phone problem that has just become apparent .

When using the voice command option for the mobile phone and then asking for the phonebook the system asks who you want to call. However when you say the name you want to call you are now informed that function is not available.

Also when the phonebook is used to manually call the number there is no audible indication that the number is ringing until the phone is answered whereas it used to give a ringing tone, as you would expect.

I don’t know if it is linked but this only seems to have happened since I updated the PID from the laptop a few days ago.

I have tried going through the options to see if there is anything there and also tried the reset button but had no luck.

Appreciate any help that you can give.

Thanks

Yes it is! Why?

Thanks for the reply by the way, even though it doesn't sound very encouraging.

S3 does not like the PID one bit and I think the feeling is mutual !!

There is another thread on here somewhere where other S3 owners (me included) have varying success in getting it to work. S4 apparently works fine if you're due an upgrade lol.

I have exactly the same symptoms as yours, also more commonly the phone connects to the car but the call comes through the handset rather than the car speakers and when you check the phone phone display the 'headset' icon is not active. When you activate it, it immediately switches back off again !! Total pain in the A***.

We have given up trying with it to be honest.

Funny, mine started doing the exact same today. It was the start of various problems, worst being the Bluetooth continuously dropping in and out. If you select a function on the pid whilst Bluetooth is connected, it makes it drop out. I've spent most of the evening messing about with it and conclude its definitely faulty. I tried resets & reinstalling phone to no avail. It now won't even uninstall my phone, it just freezes. As it worked perfectly before today i presume its went faulty somehow.

I don't buy into this oh well its rubbish so i wont bother using it mentality, if its not right take it back, its under warranty same as the car! If everyone complains and asks for a replacement, vag won't be long in telling garmin to get it sorted. I'm no I.T. expert but would imagine a proper software update would probably sort out the majority of problems mentioned. I'll be taking mine back tomorrow.

Thanks for all your replies even if they are not too positive.

Up until recently I haven't had many problems with the Galaxy S3 unlike some of you who seem to have found the S3 / PID relationship to be a pain.

As I said before it only seems to have happened after the update which was the first time I had carried this out.

The car was an ex demo and 3 months old when I bought it so had missed the initial period to register the PID. Now wish I hadn't bothered to update.

When I get time I'll perhaps do a complete back to basics and reset everything to manufacturer settings. I know it will wipe all I have set up but might be worth a try. 

Funny, mine started doing the exact same today. It was the start of various problems, worst being the Bluetooth continuously dropping in and out. If you select a function on the pid whilst Bluetooth is connected, it makes it drop out. I've spent most of the evening messing about with it and conclude its definitely faulty. I tried resets & reinstalling phone to no avail. It now won't even uninstall my phone, it just freezes. As it worked perfectly before today i presume its went faulty somehow.

I don't buy into this oh well its rubbish so i wont bother using it mentality, if its not right take it back, its under warranty same as the car! If everyone complains and asks for a replacement, vag won't be long in telling garmin to get it sorted. I'm no I.T. expert but would imagine a proper software update would probably sort out the majority of problems mentioned. I'll be taking mine back tomorrow.

I've tried pairing mine and the wife's S3's and both do exactly the same.

I've paired my daughters iphone 4S and my other daughters iphone 5S and both work much better.

Perhaps it is a Samsung problem rather than a Navigon or more recently Garmin problem ?

Now there's a thought................mines a Navigon PID. Anyone having better luck with the Garmin branded unit - is the firmware the same ? 

Sorry guys but i disagree that just because you have a Samsung S3 or whatever other phone, you need to accept that the pid doesn't like it. Bottom line is the majority of Android phones all use the same software (presuming you update), so if one works then they should all work & vica versa. There are far more android phones now than iPhones.

My Sony experia with android was working fine until Tuesday, now its not. As far as I'm concerned that means its now faulty and my car & pid are booked into dealer for tests tomorrow so i'll report back the outcome.

To put it another way, if you bought any other Bluetooth handset to operate your phone in the car and it didn't work, would you just accept it? I reckon most of you would return it as faulty, not just say oh well it doesn't like my phone.

But surely, although all android phones run the same OS they all have different hardware, as such different Bluetooth modules, processors etc.. Yes they should work to the same standards but that doesn't mean they are all the same! Plus that's the issue with android, it's the same OS on all different hardware platforms, it's not designed for the hardware it's going onto! Where as iOS is specifically designed for the iPhone (apple hardware).

I had a S3 and it worked fault free with my PID as does my and my wife's iPhones. Maybe I'm just lucky!!

Its not only the software versions that cause problems with Bluetooth. More likely to be a different bluetooth protocol which the PID/phone doesent like?

If you look at the compatibility list it states the operating system like android 4.04 or whatever. As i said previously I think its more to do with the pid's getting more software updates to keep it in line with the phones. If a cheapo 10 quid Bluetooth visor clip can work any phone with Bluetooth, it can't be that hard.

Sorry guys but i disagree that just because you have a Samsung S3 or whatever other phone, you need to accept that the pid doesn't like it. Bottom line is the majority of Android phones all use the same software (presuming you update), so if one works then they should all work & vica versa. There are far more android phones now than iPhones.

My Sony experia with android was working fine until Tuesday, now its not. As far as I'm concerned that means its now faulty and my car & pid are booked into dealer for tests tomorrow so i'll report back the outcome.

To put it another way, if you bought any other Bluetooth handset to operate your phone in the car and it didn't work, would you just accept it? I reckon most of you would return it as faulty, not just say oh well it doesn't like my phone.

What's your option then ??

1) Take PID back to dealer and says it's faulty. Get new one with exactly the same problem unless using another phone ?

2) Take phone back to shop and say phone not compatible with bluetooth in car. Phone shop says unlucky, you're tied in to a 2yr contract.

I reckon the incompatibility is not to do with the Android system per se but more to do with firmware versions which just are not 100% compatible. Our S3's works fine for streaming music just not for hands free. Most of our runs are to the school or local shops so the PID never gets put in place never mind trying to make a phone call.

We have chosen to accept it as I said we have got it working with my daughters iphones so cannot accept that it is a faulty unit.

That is just my opinion and not necessarily that of other S3 owners.

This has got me intrigued now.....................

Just been out in SWMBO's Citigo with my S3 in posession.

Plugged PID in.

Bluetooth connection established OK.

Music streaming worked OK.

Looked at phonebook on PID and all my phone contacts were there so phone upload OK.

Thought oooh has it suddenly started working ?? Tested by dialling Voicemail and PID indicated it was calling but there was no ringtone. However what I did notice was that when the phone went to Voicemail (phone answered the call), the PID then indicated there was a call in progress but when I checked the phone display on the S3 the icon was not lit for the bluetooth headset symbol. If I pressed this it lit but then immediately switched off again. So this looks like it is the reason we cannot hear things through the PID because the bluetooth accessory connection is not enabling properly.

I did find a workaround though. Whilst the call was active, in the bottom centre of the PID screen was a button labelled OPTIONS. Press this it then says Use Mobile Phone or similar. If you press this it switched on the bluetooth icon on the phone and hey presto I could hear the call. 

I then contacted my daughter and asked her to call me. The phone started ringing and the call alert came up on the PID. When I answered the call, I has exactly the same problem where the icon was not lit for the bluetooth headset symbol on the phone itself so the call was through the handset still and not the PID. I then pressed the OPTIONS button on the PID and could take the call hands free.

This is only a workaround as I say because the caller at the other end has to wait for you to establish the bluetooth headset connection before they can probably hear you. However it does work.

So for me, the S3 bluetooth appears to work correctly BUT not as a headset. As I said in my last post the music streaming is fine. I have checked in the PID and S3 settings and cannot see anything obvious what would prevent this working. In fact the settings in my phone are also duplicated for my other car and this works seamlessly.

Hope this helps or someone knows the permanent fix for this ??

Edited by Feebet

Ive had the hands free work a couple of times, and the others coming through the handset.

Will try what you have mentioned over the weekend.

Still, should we really have to do this?

Surely, as mentioned, a software update needs doing to include more compatibility… S3 is one of the most popular phones currently

Ok, so went to dealers today who checked PID & agreed it wasn't working correctly. I was then given a new unit which works perfectly. It happens to be the upgrade model and pairs to the phone a lot quicker than my old unit and seems to have smoother operation. Suppose time will tell if it decides it doesn't like my phone in a few weeks.

Why not damo? This is the point I've been trying to make, if yours isn't working take it back. This specific phone incompatiblity doesn't sit with me at all. Buy any other Bluetooth device and any phone works. I have various Bluetooth devices in the house and I've never ever had problems like what some people are reporting with the garmins. That to me says it's a device and or software issue, not a 'bad' phone problem. But this of course is only my opinion, I'm sure some will disagree.