My vrs is wrote off :(

didn't take inside pics but both air bags went off

Ah, airbags wasn't mentioned the first time.  That's enough to write off a car due to the amount of time needed to do a full airbag refit.  I do have a full airbag kit though if you were persistent about returning it to the road.  Looks like you need the entire O/S suspension/hub setup.  Possibly the actual brakes have survived too.

Sounds like it will be a cat "c" - you can usually buy it back from the insurance company, get it fixed yourself using second hand parts. It then has to go for a vic check (vehicle identification), and is marked on the logbook as damaged repaired. I have done this before, and it can be worthwhile if the damage isn't too extensive. Cars get written off for very little damage, just the cost of repairs are more than the vehicle is worth. New bumper, wing and headlight can be enough to have them written off.

My swmbo bumped into the back of an artic at a r/about the day before her driving test a few years back. car was written off as an uneconomical repair.

but i swear ive seen it back on the road - never forget that car as it was mine first!

2 front wings and a bonnet... maybe a radiator. tbh, if id been a bit older and wiser at the time i probably couldve gotten the f'ing thing fixed myself  as said...

loved that little Getz... felt bigger than it was and went like the clappers. . .  relatively speaking!

With the airbags going off - that makes it a whole lot more expensive - new dash, steering wheel, possibly all seatbelts if they have pre-tensioners as well as the mechanical repairs. Unless it's a low mileage minter I probably wouldn't bother,

I have steering wheel airbag you can have cheap

I know of a dash passenger airbag and controller I can get cheap

Dash is an easy job to do few hrs but aslong as you know how to hold a screwdriver it's simple

Hub lower arm brake line wing and bumper

Recon you could fix it for under 700 easy

Recon you could fix it for under 700 easy

I thought perhaps maybe a smidgen less than that depending on the labour used - but then I suppose you have to factor in what a 53 plate is worth with a write off against it?  If you were keeping the car forever, it wouldn't matter I guess.

I've picked up 53 low mileage one for 1k

problem is they can be had for less too, i know of several that have gone for 700ish with low mileage.

700 is a bit cheap to repair especially if any paint needs doing. 700 if he does everything himself gets all the parts cheap and does all the work. Dont forget it will need a VIC check at the end too, thats another 50ish on top.

Its not a 2 minute job to do and unless the car is super rare spec, low mileage, covered in performance parts it's just not worth it..

If it was me I would just let it go and move on. Sad I know, but less risk/faff.

Unfortunately our cars are pretty worthless now, so any serious repairs are hard to justify.

Autotrader tells me mine is worth £1425 sold private and £834 sold to dealership. Depressing! Especially painful considering my car is still really clean and totally fault free.

It's annoying in another way too, as I couldn't justify selling the car for that little money. Which means I won't buy a new car until this one dies! Good job I love the car really.....

• Like 1

Yea think I've decided as I can't do repairs myself and need a at asap with having 4 kids and sometimes work, I'm gonna sadly move on. Yea she was in great condition an nothing wrong with here, so for now when insurance pay out (hopefully quickly) gonna get a zafira for a while then might either get an Audi a4 Quattro , or the newer Octy vrs seeing what money I'll have.

If only Skoda made a people carrier! I'd rather a ford myself. C max is it? Not sure. Sorry about the car anyway mate, you must be gutted. Hope you get something sorted, it does look like its not gonna be worth fixing. Sometimes, you've got to cut your losses.

• Like 1