F/L or Octavia 3

Smudger64

I am considering changing my current yeti to either a F/L Yeti or an Octavia 3. I am currently getting about 290 miles to a tank on my 1.2. Would like better and on paper the Octavia 3 gives better mpg with a 1.2. Oh and would also like DSG. Any views will be greatly appreciated

From a very simplistic view, the Octavia 3 was too long for my liking. I didn't need all that boot space!

If it was the same size as the Octavia 2, choice between Yeti and Octavia might have been more difficult  :wonder:

To me it's a simple choice.

Octavia mk3: Bigger boot, better aerodynamics so better fuel consumption.

Yeti FL: Higher driving position so better view.

That's about it unless you start nit-picking.

They now look roughly the same.

DSG is a fine match to the 1.2tsi.  Good choice. :)

I had an original Yeti. I loved it, and it went in some wild places I can tell you, forests, beaches and mountains without a hiccough.

When I replaced it, I went for a new Octavia (fully loaded). It is great, amazing economy, lovely drive EXCEPT in crosswinds or wet roads when it is like any 2wd vehicle, but better than most.

In the end, I realised the Yeti was better, so I have a FL Yeti on order and have negotiated a decent deal on my finance to swap to what (to me) is a more fun and flexible vehicle. With its 4WD it is significantly more capable in nasty weather and tricky road conditions. And a higher ride gives a better view. And it is way more fun!

Edited by ColinEdinburgh
  • Like 1

I've been keeping a record of my fuel consumption from new and at 5,000 miles it is now returning a reliable 40mpg so around 400 miles from full to the brim to when the warning light comes on (and a range of 70-80 miles left). That's mixed driving with a lot of fairly short journeys with the engine barely getting hot. Perhaps you do a lot more motorway driving or hsve a more "robust" driving style but otherwise I'd be asking if there is a problem with the fuel system. Many years ago I had an Astra as a firm's lease car and it was both lacklustre and heavy on fuel - barely over 30mpg from a small petrol. The local dealership had it in a few times, including the manager taking it home overnight, and eventually decided it was " just a characteristic of that particular car". At the end of the one year warranty (I said it was a while back!) for it's first service it went to my then employer's own garage. One of the mechanics immediately picked up it wasn't running right, whipped the top off the carburettor and diagnosed a holed float. Repair effected car transformed on the road and consumption changed to consistently around the upper thirties. so these things can happen.

(I will add that the same car came from new with a faulty heated rear window).  At about 6 weeks this was changed, fitting a bronze tinted glass rather than the blue/green tinting of the one taken out and when asked about this the dealer replied - "Does it matter? It's a lease car anyway". Yes, same dealership and no, never used them again.

I'm going for the Octavia III but 4x4, to long really for what I would like but slightly cheaper to run and I just do not like what they have done to the poor Yeti with the FLego treatment :no:

Was the perfect beast until they overdosed her with Botox :doh:

TP

Does it have to be new?

Buying any new car to save on running costs has never made much sense to me, you lose thousands in the first few months.

More than a few years fuel costs.

Get a nice one or two year old well equipped Yeti?

The Octy will be quite common, like Octavias always are.  So figure in a 25% depreciation drop in the first year at least.

• Like 2

I had a octy3 vrs on order before I found out about the delays some of the orders are experiencing ,,,,, so I cancelled and went for the yeti, I am so glad I changed the order, absolutely the right decision.

There are pros and cons of both cars , but, for our roads and climate , the yeti is by far the better 'real world' car

I think both the Yeti and the Octavia are great cars in thier own right. The thing that swayed me to order a Yeti was that after walking past an Octavia parked on our street every night I realised that it just looks a bit too much like any other family car out there. Of course this is just my own opinion. Enjoy what ever you choose!

• Like 1

I think both the Yeti and the Octavia are great cars in thier own right. The thing that swayed me to order a Yeti was that after walking past an Octavia parked on our street every night I realised that it just looks a bit too much like any other family car out there. Of course this is just my own opinion. Enjoy what ever you choose!

Spot on ,,,,, I work in Aberdeen quite a lot , the place is packed full of audi q3/q5/q7 and bmw , landrovers , range rovers , I just didn't want to conform to the crowds ,, 2 weeks with the big brown beast now and I'm loving it, even said owners of aforementioned brands are surprised with how good it is.

• Like 1

Just back from a test drive in a vRS TSi estate (it was very :rain: ) - very nice, swift and quiet, but slighty more unsettled on rough roads compared to the Yeti (and not that faster in real world driving)

I'm in a quandary, but SWMBO is up for another Yeti :think:

I am currently flicking through a pdf version of the new Yeti brochure :giggle:

Should try the Octy 150, surprised how quick and flexible it is within real world boundaries. Test drove it back to back with a vRS 184 and there was little in it staying legal. Also felt it had much more go on tap than my previous Yeti 140 and my dads old 170 Superb. Not driven a 4x4 but hoping the Haldex will resolve the shortcomings of the 2wd torsion beam and multi-link set-ups at the back.

TP

To me it's a simple choice.

That's about it unless you start nit-picking.

They now look roughly the same.

That about sums it up for me as well.

But TBH they are two completely different types of car aimed at people who have different needs.

That about sums it up for me as well.

But TBH they are two completely different types of car aimed at people who have different needs.

Me - Octavia

SWMBO'd - Yeti

:giggle:

Decision made then,  SWMBO 1

you         0

When are you ordering your new yeti :hi:  :rofl:  

• Like 2