Somebody please help before I drive my fabia SE off a cliff!

Drewzy

Okay so I part ex'd my mk1 octavia vrs in afew months ago to buy number 206 limited edition fabia vrs, I love it, I've had it mapped and it's like **** off a shovel, it now needs a new uprated clutch and I can live with that. Now what I can't live with is the TAPPING noise that gets quicker as the revs get quicker, it's driving me insane!! It was tapping since i bought it so im wondering if the previous owner who is on here knows anything about it? did an oil change yesterday, took it up the motorway for a blast and the tapping noise had completely gone, but now today it's back again?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!!

dont drive it off a cliffe thats a waste .... just leave it on my drive 

do you know where abouts the tapping noise comes from? it isnt just something silly like a leaf stuck in the pollen filter?
have you used the correct oil .... is it tappety?
you say the clutch is ****ed? is it flywheel knocking ?

Did the good old screwdriver to the rocker cover trick so I'm wondering whether its a sticky tappet? Or injector? I've ruled out that something's worn as the tapping wouldn't go if it were terminal?

And yes the clutch is fubar'd clutch slips in higher gears, I can feel the flywheel knocking alittle on idle, I've found a flywheel and clutch at cg motorsport for a reasonable price

Don't drive it off a .........Cliff!!!! nooooooooo.......lol the last episode of The Young Ones anyone !

This is something set to challenge you.

I can contest much like my recent issue with the suspension knocking. It would still be happening if I didn't actually stick to my guns, and actually solved the bloody problem myself thanks to the ineptitude of local garages.

If I hadn't stuck to my guns to solve it, I'd probably be back on standard suspension as I'd given up with lowering by then.

You obviously like the car (deservedly) so don't let something stupid like this ruin your pleasure of a good car.

• Like 1

I do love the car, they're amazing cars with nice looks when lowered, I've got a knock too from the front passenger side which I'm guessing is top mount I hope, although my coilovers are abit solid I do love driving it, it's just the tapping noise!!

I would whip the cam cover off and take a look to make sure everything is ok to start with.

If fresh oil stopped it though I would guess its a sticky lifter.

new set of lifters will sort it imo :)

if you ask niceyellowvrs he might have a pact with you to both drive off the cliff at the same time, he was last seen heading towards beachy head... i'm sure his fabia would be sadly missed by him, but alas i don't think he could go through with it, it wouldnt make it there without blowing up or breaking down. :sweat:

• Like 1

I had an intermittent knocking noise on mine when I bought it a few months back. Mainly when motorway driving. Ended up being the air conditioning on mine. Would make the sound when on...but not when switched off. Strange but true that.

I would whip the cam cover off and take a look to make sure everything is ok to start with.

If fresh oil stopped it though I would guess its a sticky lifter.

new set of lifters will sort it imo :)

coskev has it right, although you can't really tell from 'looking', I'd go further and just fit a complete cam kit with new shells, might as well do a belt kit and water pump as well for peace of mind.

coskev has it right, although you can't really tell from 'looking', I'd go further and just fit a complete cam kit with new shells, might as well do a belt kit and water pump as well for peace of mind.

I didn't say look at the lifters!

You can check cam wear, anything loose etc by having a look :)

My heaters don't work properly anyway, the middle two vents don't blow hard when on 4, I'm going to try and top it up with abit more oil and see if that helps it, it's been tapping for months and has never stopped, so I'm moving forward with it as it's only intermittent now :)