Electrical failures on Yeti

jonathane1976

I have a 59 plate yeti.

The electric window switches on the drivers side front and rear stopped working today.

The drivers door central locking has failed and the rear drivers side door has locked itself and will not open using inside or outside handle. 

The electric mirror switch has also failed.

The central locking and windows still work on the nearside using local window switches.

Anyone had experience with the door wiring looms? 

I have heard that there are problems with these cars.

Anyone know where to look?

Thanks for the link.

I take it the plug simply slots into the door frame, does anyone know how it unclips, there seems to be an arrow at the top of the rubber cover?

I had the breakdown people out but I seemed to know more about the car than they did, unless I wanted it towed somewhere they were not interested.

The plug must be behind the rubber boot on the door frame, just hook it out and the lever in yellow must just pull down to release the plug, have a look it will be obvious how it works. 

Good fix, but I wouldn't use insulating tape.

Use heat shrink tubing to insulate the joints.

It comes in different widths and you can get small lengths from Maplin.

Slide a piece onto the wire, solder, heat gently with soldering iron, job done.

When soldering the joints, twist the wires together inline so you can slide the tubing over.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, I did a temp fix today to get the car usable.

There were 7 broken cables including the two thickest cables.

So it is truly jury rigged until the dealer can get in and fit a new door loom.

Yes 7 on the drivers side, the passenger side had split wires also, which were patched up by the dealer 6 months ago.

I have raised a complaint with Skoda UK. 

Just a little update.

The car went into the local Skoda dealer this week and had the wiring looms in both front doors replaced at a cost of £430

I had the original looms returned to me. The two thickest wires on the passenger side were close to splitting with the insulation stripped off and the wires fraying. The dealer had previously patched up one of the cables on that side which fed into the airbag system.

As I mentioned previously I repaired 7 of the cables on the driver side.

I don't think that the wiring on both doors should disintegrate on a 4 year old car. I feel that this is a manufacturing problem. I feel that Skoda UK should pay in full to have this fixed.

I bought this car second hand from Stratstone which is not a Skoda dealer.

I have raised a complaint with Skoda UK, they wanted a list of all my previous cars to demonstrate my "loyalty".

Today Skoda UK said that they were asking the dealer who carried out the repair to contribute to any gesture of good will that I may receive and Skoda UK would match this.

I will be honest I would be surprised if the dealer who carried out the repair would see any reason to pay out on a car they did not sell. 

So there will be no gesture of good will. 

Where to go from here? I still have the wiring looms... Trading Standards?

Your primary claim would be against Stratstone as they sold you the car.

When did you buy the car?

Did you give Stratstone a chance to fix it before going to the dealer?

The establishment from which I bought the vehicle was taken over shortly after I purchased the vehicle in March. They gave me a landrover warranty which does not cover wiring. I had to fight for weeks to get the heated seat elements done. 

I would definitely NOT go back to Stratstone to buy another car.

This fault is not uncommon.

Skoda paid 70% of the cost of replacing my 2010 Yeti's passenger door loom which broke as you described, My car was 4 months out of warranty at the time. I still wasn't happy, but the repairing dealer (who submitted the claim on my behalf) pointed out that the repair itself then has a further 2 year warranty, so I didn't take it any further.

As far as I'm concerned, a wiring loom should last the life of a vehicle. Life has a different meaning to each manufacturer, but these days I would take that to mean at least 6 to 8 years.

I would suggest that the loom is not of merchanteable quality if it fails so early - it might be worth suggesting that to your local trading standards dept and seek their advice.

I have a 59 plate yeti.

The electric window switches on the drivers side front and rear stopped working today.

The drivers door central locking has failed and the rear drivers side door has locked itself and will not open using inside or outside handle.

The electric mirror switch has also failed.

The central locking and windows still work on the nearside using local window switches.

Anyone had experience with the door wiring looms?

I have heard that there are problems with these cars.

Anyone know where to look?

Welcome to the world of Land Rover ownership....

Oh, sorry, wrong Forum..........

:D

photos, sorry about the quality.

I had to chop up the rubber gaiter on the driver side to get access to solder, the passenger side gaiter is intact.

Excuse the question, as I don't have a Yeti yet....

Do the looms connect to a connector on the A-pillar (inside the rubber boot) ?

In other words, can you disconnect from the A-pillar, and all the work to replace the loom is in the door itself ?

In other words, can you disconnect from the A-pillar, and all the work to replace the loom is in the door itself ?

Answer is quite simply, yes! But getting the rubber boot off and accessing the plug is not easy in the confined space.

Welcome to the world of Land Rover ownership....

Oh, sorry, wrong Forum..........

:D

I had a disco 2 for 6 months, had so many problems I refused it and the finance company gave me all my money back!

Yes you can unplug the connector and remove the entire door from the vehicle if you wish. Both doors were rewired at the dealer in the space of one day.

The DIY soldering job on the drivers side was extremely difficult with so little space between the car and the door. Hence why it doesn't look too pretty, trying to join up 7 wires with no slack and little space to get at it.

• 1 year later...

Anybody knows the OEM part number for the driver' side door loom please? 

Unfortunately I'm having the same issue...I've actually managed to partially repair it but I've now got an airbag warning light on the dashboard (another wire broke?) so I'm thinking of replacing the loom all together...

I have found several part numbers but I'm not sure which one I should be getting

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/sko-5l0971121de/

Any help will be highly appreciated

As an engineer, this is looking more and more like a design fault, caused probably by inadequate strain relief on the cable, or too short a cable causing undue fatigue and stress on possibly short lengths of cables.

When industrial electrical cabinets are wired across hinges to front metal doors, strain relief is incorporated to prevent damage to the cables, fairly standard practice on cables which are required to flex under normal operation.

Now to see it from Skodas point of view, could it possibly be, owner or driver error, lol... as the customer is opening and closing the door too often? doh.. lol

That's why it mainly occurs on the driver's door. So stop opening and closing the doors.

Never had this problem on Mini Mokes lol... ( for those young ones out there, mini mokes had no doors, as seen in the TV series "The Prisoner" ).

It might also be made worse if you open the doors wider than necessary...

Clearly the doors are designed to be opened regularly to the extent of the door strop, designed for that purpose.

So if the wiring loom in the door fails in a short time, then the design is not fit for the intended purpose, and has had the potential for a fault to occur from the day it was built.û

So to me, this fault should be repaired foc even outside warranty as the fault is well known and looks on first impression,

to be a design fault.

Clearly a more detailed inspection and full technical report and investigation would be required to confirm this.

So in anyone week, how often do we actually open each door on a car?

Heaven knows what would happen to a Skoda that was used as a taxi, or for local deliveries or Pizza delivery man.

I can see a recall coming on... but that only tends to happen if safety related, mind you, if the air bags may not function...

Enough said... Could be a safety issue, I'll start watching " Watchdog" from now on lol...

Edited by rustic

I had an intermittent fault with the passenger door not unlocking, they replaced the wiring looms (straight ones) with the newer 'u' shaped ones though car was out of warranty. Given that the new ones looked very different I'm assuming there was a problem with the design which they have subsequently addressed. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...