Removing Fuel

glenn_btn

Hi All

My wife has a 59 plate Fabia petrol estate. She will be p/xing tomorrow towards a new car but has 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I have a few fuel cans and wanted to get some out rather than swap it in with all that fuel.

I have put a tube down the filler but I can't seem to get anywhere and when I remove the pipe it's still dry.

Any advise how I can get the fuel out easily

Thanks

Glenn

Modern cars have filler necks that are designed to be anti syphon so its a pain to get fuel out, maybe you will have to investigate under the rear seats to find the fuel pump and see if access to to remove the fuel can be had there?

I have seen a desperate person drill a hole in the bottom of a tank on an A4 to get the petrol out so he could put its preferred diesel back in, my advice then was to pick a drill size to suit a tyre valve (we had one in the toolbox) and plugged the hole with that. Oh if you do go this way I would also recommend a plastic bag over the drill to make sure the fuel doesn't ignite on the electrical sparks inside as the fuel floods out all over it!!!

Modern cars have filler necks that are designed to be anti syphon so its a pain to get fuel out, maybe you will have to investigate under the rear seats to find the fuel pump and see if access to to remove the fuel can be had there?

I have seen a desperate person drill a hole in the bottom of a tank on an A4 to get the petrol out so he could put its preferred diesel back in, my advice then was to pick a drill size to suit a tyre valve (we had one in the toolbox) and plugged the hole with that. Oh if you do go this way I would also recommend a plastic bag over the drill to make sure the fuel doesn't ignite on the electrical sparks inside as the fuel floods out all over it!!!

Speaking as an ex tech, you wouldn't in any way be serious about that advice would you? Just to make sure you know, its illegal to tamper with the fuel system of any vehicle in that way and then use it on the road. That's to say nothing of the danger doing the job and the obvious problems that will follow. A tyre valve won't last either as the solvent action of the petrol will dissolve the rubber off the tyre valve. And it will leak from the off!

Edited by Estate Man

We've had some success with disconnecting the fuel return pipe and running the engine with the fuel return rerouted to a container rather than the tank.  Obviously you'll need to take sensible precautions with a running engine and exposed fuel.

Talk about being tight.

Seriously, it'll be £50 at the most, would you have turned down the offer if the new car was £50 more? I don't think so. So let it go, it's not the end of the world, and you won't lose anything by asking for something in return, fuel, spare oil, car mats, anything.

• Like 1

Speaking as an ex tech, you wouldn't in any way be serious about that advice would you? Just to make sure you know, its illegal to tamper with the fuel system of any vehicle in that way and then use it on the road. That's to say nothing of the danger doing the job and the obvious problems that will follow. A tyre valve won't last either as the solvent action of the petrol will dissolve the rubber off the tyre valve. And it will leak from the off!

Seriously! No I wasn't being serious about drilling a hole and plugging with a tyre value, though it did actually happen. I didn't carry out the work though and to put your mind at rest the car was repaired properly when back in the UK (we were working away in France)

Hi All

My wife has a 59 plate Fabia petrol estate. She will be p/xing tomorrow towards a new car but has 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I have a few fuel cans and wanted to get some out rather than swap it in with all that fuel.

I have put a tube down the filler but I can't seem to get anywhere and when I remove the pipe it's still dry.

Any advise how I can get the fuel out easily

Thanks

Glenn

You dont live in Yorkshire by chance ????????

Seriously to even consider syphoning a few gallons of petrol out is downright tightfistedness .

Hahaha i'd be getting it out. I don't see a problem with wanting to save a bit of money at all! Me being frugal with things like that means I can spend money

elsewhere.

Do you also live in Yorkshire ?

Edited by stevensmith91

Who fills their tank full of fuel when they know it's going to be part ex'd!

It can only be about £30-£40 worth of fuel and you'd go through all that hassle just to get some fuel back out, you'd have to leave some in anyway to drive around and to get to the showroom.

I know things are a bit tight in the world but resorting to siphoning fuel, you'd think it was the 1970s during the fuel crisis.

Besides. What do you plan on doing with the fuel if you did get it out? I certainly wouldnt put it in my new car due to the crap out the bottom of the fuel tank which could of mixed in with it.

For the sake of £30. I definitely wouldnt put that in my car

Give your car a final good blast, it will soon burn up the fuel. I had the same problem with a courtesy car I was using but as soon as I put my lead boots on the gauge soon went down. I had a Corsa SRi and in 1st gear it went to 8,500 revs and in 3rd gear it went just over 70mph. I can assure you the gauge soon went down.

Besides. What do you plan on doing with the fuel if you did get it out? I certainly wouldnt put it in my new car due to the crap out the bottom of the fuel tank which could of mixed in with it.

For the sake of £30. I definitely wouldnt put that in my car

why do people still think modern cars tanks contain this fabled ****e in the bottom?

back in the mid nineties maybe, these days, no chance.

• Like 1