Bluetooth Unit

J306TD

My guess is the Columbus has been added aftermarket and this was used with a previous head unit. Is there a loom already fitted then?

I would probably disconnect the battery for when you run the mic up past the A pillar airbag.

Adam

The previous owner was an older man. It was a showroom car before he got it hence all the extras on it. Its on the sticker in the boot as being an option so im not sure. The looms are all there also.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I mention the sticker code 9w5, as my car has that (referred to as phone prep but I never did work out what it meant!). I wonder if it is similar to your older setup in some way.

Fingers crossed it will be plug and play. How easy is it to get to the microphone? Also does it have a separate antenna?

Thanks for all your help and advice Adam

That module does need the antenna yes as it uses rSap and so the car becomes the handset and hence needs the antenna.

The microphone attaches to the loom behind the Columbus and runs behind the glovebox up the A pillar and across the headlining to the roof light.

The antenna runs from the module to the windscreen under the trim under the door and up the A pillar towards the top of the windscreen.

As I said just be careful with the airbag and cable tie the wires together carefully behind it. The upper A pillar trim pops off once you remove the screw behind the airbag sign (if you have one).

Right Adam had a play in the car before leaving work. It works off Maxidot. Gives me phone book along with received and dialled numbers. Rang my mum lol to check it and works fine.

Got it plugged in. Loom includes Columbus bonus. But when it comes to syncing phonebook my phone keeps dropping out or the car is.

As I recall when I had that module in mine (some time ago now!), it was a bit temperamental.  I think the phone book needs to be on the SIM for it to work?  Newer modules can interrogate the phone contacts but I'm not sure these older ones do.

Given the older module didn't support the phone book (i.e. calls only), and if it only happens when you try to sync phone book, perhaps the older loom isn't capable here?  You could perhaps try connecting up your new loom without running it under the trim?

Yes but only for calls and texts. It is the means by which the car receives a signal as it becomes the handset when it takes over the SIM.

The Sony might not do rsap which is possibly why it comes up as incompatible. Only Nokias and Samsungs are set up to do rsap out of the box I believe. Other phones may need rooting even if they are rsap capable. And even some phones which are compatible may have restrictions built into the operating system by the airtime provider.

You could also try an O2 Samsung s2/s3 if you know anyone with one and haven't tried that already. The operating system used by O2 definitely worked for me when I had one of these units in the past.

Adam