Bluetooth Unit

J306TD

It will work but it is older and limited in its functionality - you won't get the phonebook on the Columbus for example and will therefore need maxidot (see http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/VW-bluetooth-FAQ.htm). For a pre FL car which yours will be if it is 2008, you can't quite have all the features and have a unit which will work with all phones.

5K0035730 (D or above) or 7P6035730 (D or above) work with all phones via HFP and allow bluetooth music streaming but the phone menu won't display in the maxidot, meaning you have to use the headunit to answer calls etc (no great hardship).

5N0035730 (A, B or C) will work and appear in the phone menu, but in rSAP mode only, which limits the phones you can use (not iphones for example). Music streaming is not possible and you will also need a GSM aerial (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-SKODA-GSM-FAKRA-Antenna-BLUETOOTH-PREMIUM-FSE-UHV-MFD3-RNS510-RNS-510-SEAT-/120977270583?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item1c2acea737).

5N0035730 (D or above) or 3C8035730 (D or above) are the premium units and work with all phones but a lot of the functionality including pairing relies on the maxidot for which in older cars like yours, the menu isn't present. It might be possible for them to work if you also buy a CAN converter (http://www.carsystems.pl/fis-link-can-box-converter-for-red-dot-matrix-fis-and-new-bt-modules,id687.html) but this makes it expensive.

I have a 2008 pre FL with Columbus and use a 5K0035730D module. Being OCD I hate it not being in the phone menu but apart from that it works very well.

Adam

• Like 1

Is this the correct bluetooth unit for my MK2 Octavia with Columbus? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=310782526885

Buy from china and you will get no support, a guy on the gti forum has bought 2x and both don't work properly

you need to have a maxidot for that module to work

You can use the 5n0 .. a b or c then. You will get phone menu in maxidot and can connect by rsap. However you wont get streaming and if you change your phone to a non rsap one later it wont work.

If you want streaming you will need to go for 5k0..d or above or 7p6..d or above and rely on the head unit. But it will work with all phones.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at installing a bluetooth module but not sure which i need, hopefully one of you guys can help! 

I have a Mk2 FL VRS with maxidot and Bolero stereo. I'm not too bothered about music streaming but if the module has it then great. 

Which one do i need?

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the thread!

Having maxidot and a newer car you can go for pretty much any of them.  3c8 035 730 or 5N0 035 730 d or above will all be a good option.  The newer 3c8 .. d units include wifi support (although not sure what that actually means!).  I've seen someone selling a 3c8 (not d) module in the for sale section and also try www.carsystems.pl.

Adam

It's me selling the 3C8....A unit.

I replaced it with the D unit because I wanted to try the wifi and I have to say it works a treat. I don't know how it works exactly but if I turn on wifi on the phone it picks up a wifi signal from the car but I can't remember the SSID. I'll edit the post when I'm in the car next.

My phone connects via RSAP so I can only assume that it's tethering somehow but if RSAP takes over the phone signal I don't get it. All I know is it works.

I wanted an internet connection to use the Tunein radio app on my Galaxy S3

Either under one of the seats or behind the radio and climate control - its easier in future if you place it under the passenger seat but a little more fiddly to run the loom there (go behind the glovebox, and down and along the door trim before feeding it under the carpet to the under seat area).  It will depend on the length of the loom as it needs about 2.5m to get to the under seat location.

Adam

I bought some stuff off carsystems.pl this week and they are very good.  However, just note you now also need to factor in some money changing charges they levy at the checkout.

Yer I have Adam. Works out better value than just the wiring and mic from Eddie. When I still need the Styrofoam holder and antenna

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thats a very old BT module, which I don't believe works with a Columbus, but should work with maxidot.

It was the precursor to the 1z0035729 series of modules I believe, which still fetch a lot of money for pre FL cars as they work with the maxidot and all phones (and can still be bought new).

Might be worth a couple of bob on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=5P0862335C&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_PrefLoc=3&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X5P0+862+335&_nkw=5P0+862+335&_sacat=0

It's me selling the 3C8....A unit.

I replaced it with the D unit because I wanted to try the wifi and I have to say it works a treat. I don't know how it works exactly but if I turn on wifi on the phone it picks up a wifi signal from the car but I can't remember the SSID. I'll edit the post when I'm in the car next.

My phone connects via RSAP so I can only assume that it's tethering somehow but if RSAP takes over the phone signal I don't get it. All I know is it works.

I wanted an internet connection to use the Tunein radio app on my Galaxy S3

The Wifi option isnt to connect your phone to the car. Basically when the phone is connected via RSAP passengers in the car can connect to the SSID of the Skoda bluetooth unit and connect to the internet, the bluetooth unit will be using your phone for internet so it will be using your data bundle. Exactly the same as when you make a personal hotspot on your mobile phone.

I thought that Adam. Shame I don't have access to VCDS or I could have scanned it. Ive still got the 5N0035730C unit anyway to fit as its more compatible than the 5P0862335C

Adam just looked on Wiki Ross Tech. You are correct its not compatible with Columbus. So why fit it? I think I will just plug in the 5N0035730C box and go from there. Do I need to disconnect the battery?