Over steer!

My Fabia was also very tail happy when I got it and for the first year.

I went from a metro which was almost impossible to get the back end out, only once when there was oil on the road. It would just understeer, I even tried the handreak using two hands to pull the thing.

So when I got in the fabia the back came out about two weeks after owning it. That was the first time I felt oversteer.

Towards the end of a year I was following a British gas van round a corner and I started going sideways. That night I brought some new tyres for the fronts and put the fronts on the back.

I like over steer as long as you can control it. That why I went for new fronts so at least they can take you round the corner when your having fun and you don't get into a four wheel drift. The backs were a real budget brand and the ones that I put on the backs from the front we're mid range and even that has been a big improvement.

I've been on a skid recovery/training course but found all they do is understeer. This didn't bother me at the time as that's all the metro did but five year later in a metro with no TC you get more used to it as it under steers everywhere if you try.

Now I rely on my 10 non stop computer racing skills which I find does actually teach you some stuff. I'm one of the geeks who has gone out and brought all the proper logitech G25 steering wheels etc for the games and play stuff with no traction control on.

It don't teach you everything but gives you the basics. Gran Turismo 6 has been ok so far with some cars, you brake you spin, which is identical to the Fabia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by fredt

Ah okay, I didn't need the technical advice but than you for being helpful. I'm sure it will resonate in the ears of others

It wasn't advice, it was an explanation because you said you thought the handling behaviour was 'strange', your words not mine. Why so touchy, I'm not trying to patronise you?

You didn't read it correctly, The main paragraph with the technical explanation was for you.

The second part was intended for more general consumption, to bring a little colour to the cheeks of those with whom it would resonate.

Lol I hear ya.

My Fabia was also very tail happy when I got it and for the first year.

I went from a metro which was almost impossible to get the back end out, only once when there was oil on the road. It would just understeer, I even tried the handreak using two hands to pull the thing.

So when I got in the fabia the back came out about two weeks after owning it. That was the first time I felt oversteer.

Towards the end of a year I was following a British gas van round a corner and I started going sideways. That night I brought some new tyres for the fronts and put the fronts on the back.

I like over steer as long as you can control it. That why I went for new fronts so at least they can take you round the corner when your having fun and you don't get into a four wheel drift. The backs were a real budget brand and the ones that I put on the backs from the front we're mid range and even that has been a big improvement.

I've been on a skid recovery/training course but found all they do is understeer. This didn't bother me at the time as that's all the metro did but five year later in a metro with no TC you get more used to it as it under steers everywhere if you try.

Now I rely on my 10 non stop computer racing skills which I find does actually teach you some stuff. I'm one of the geeks who has gone out and brought all the proper logitech G25 steering wheels etc for the games and play stuff with no traction control on.

It don't teach you everything but gives you the basics. Gran Turismo 6 has been ok so far with some cars, you brake you spin, which is identical to the Fabia.

Hooray for another metro owner! I absolutely loved mine.

• Like 1

Hooray for another metro owner! I absolutely loved mine.

Shame as I didn't realise how much I enjoyed driving it until it had gone. Kinda miss it now. Not that the vRS was a mistake.

I liked being able to rev the nuts of it and still be doing under the speed limit. The vRS gets up to the speed limit to quick with no drama like a screaming engine.

Edited by fredt

Shame as I didn't realise how much I enjoyed driving it until it had gone. Kinda miss it now. Not that the vRS was a mistake.

I liked being able to rev the nuts of it and still be doing under the speed limit. The vRS gets up to the speed limit to quick with no drama like a screaming engine.

I'd have my old Golf back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for fuel economy. The Fabia imo doesn't do anything that well but is a good all round package.

tn_gallery_105234_970_1044613.jpg

Here she is lots of fun had in this baby. :)

Edited by theezenutz

I have an update.

Last night I decided to go into work and give a car a check-over, just to make sure everything is alright.

Upon inspection I found the o/s rear shock to be covered in oil... Great not a good sign.

So today I decided to take it into a Garage for a second opinion... It's ******.

What are my options? I don't really want to fork out over £500 to replace them if I can help as the fronts are fine. Can I buy just a replacement shock? Can I get them refurbed?

Never had to do this before so any advice would be welcome. They are Weitec hicon GT coilovers brought by the previous owner back in oct 2010, from a place called Revolution performance. I have the receipt.

Just to clarify, it wasn't fresh oil they've obviously been leaking for a period of time.

Edited by theezenutz

Guest BigJase88

I have an update.

Last night I decided to go into work and give a car a check-over, just to make sure everything is alright.

Upon inspection I found the o/s rear shock to be covered in oil... Great not a good sign.

So today I decided to take it into a Garage for a second opinion... It's ******.

What are my options? I don't really want to fork out over £500 to replace them if I can help as the fronts are fine. Can I buy just a replacement shock? Can I get them refurbed?

Never had to do this before so any advice would be welcome. They are Weitec hicon GT coilovers brought by the previous owner back in oct 2010, from a place called Revolution performance. I have the receipt.

Just to clarify, it wasn't fresh oil they've obviously been leaking for a period of time.

Go onto europerformance

You can buy the shock absorbers individually on there :)

Guest BigJase88

They are AP's but ap is same company as weitec / kw

May not be as good as weitec but for £44 a pop it wouldnt bother me

Will be more than adequate

They are AP's but ap is same company as weitec / kw

May not be as good as weitec but for £44 a pop it wouldnt bother me

Will be more than adequate

I guess it's not quite as crucial on the rears either. The weitecs are £70 odd each.

Make sure to replace them as a pair, the other side might not be too clever either.

Yep will do.

In a way i'm quite happy it's the shocks that have gone. At least when I replace them I will have a car that doesn't want to kill me lol.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Good job you decided to check.

You could have gone and replaced the tyres only to have not cured the problem.

The only car I have experienced oversteer in was my old Citroen ZX 1.9D. Plastic tailgate, light rear end, heavy front end and cheap tyres... It really scared me! I just managed to correct with a bit of steering and some throttle.

Been tempted to go on a driving course many times before.

Phil

Been tempted to go on a driving course many times before.

I wonder if there's any scope for getting a group discounted skidpan session of sorts?

I had terrible oversteer when I first got my car, due to cheap chinese tyres on the rear, which meant I had to tiptoe everywhere. Problem was solved by a couple of new Uniroyals.

I wonder if there's any scope for getting a group discounted skidpan session of sorts?

I had terrible oversteer when I first got my car, due to cheap chinese tyres on the rear, which meant I had to tiptoe everywhere. Problem was solved by a couple of new Uniroyals.

Something like this would be a great idea.

Also as said, changing knackered rear shocks can have a very positive impact on how your car drives. Your suspension will be working as designed and expected, and not simply bouncing all over the place.

Something like this would be a great idea.

Also as said, changing knackered rear shocks can have a very positive impact on how your car drives. Your suspension will be working as designed and expected, and not simply bouncing all over the place.

Now I think about it, i've thought a few times that the suspension is softer than it should be, considering it's supposed to have up-rated suspension. The only reference i've had to go by is my Mk1 which has a set of Koni coilover's fitted. The ride on that is a bit firmer than I would of liked.

I guess now, all has been revealed.

Anyway, I've purchased a pair of Weitec rear dampers from TSR performance for £145, I should have them by the 13th.

I'll post an update when i've fitted them.

I've also ordered a H&R rarb. In light of what has happened would you recommend that I fit all of it together? Or wait until I've fitted the shocks, so I can get a feel for the car with proper working suspension?

The rear tyre's are going to have to wait til next month now, as I have spent a little to much on my car over the last month.

Thanks again.

Edited by theezenutz