Suzuki SX4 S Cross - Any good?

My_Yeti

Hi All,

Since the Yeti has been written off, I have been actively looking for a replacement (currently have stop gap Mazda 5 - but keep more longer if I couldn't find anything I like...)

I have had a look at the Yeti, whilst I am happy to stay with the 1.2 engine, I am keen to get higher spec (SE or Elegance). The discount from brokers don't seem to be too promising (1.2 S would cost £14.5k).

I stumbled on the Suzuki SX4 S Cross, the price for the top spec 1.6 petrol model is just below £16k after discount, pricing the Yeti (1.2) to the same spec would be £3k more after discount (and I want a sunroof).

I know the S Cross is boring looking (shameless copy of the Qashqai), but it has had good reviews re. economy (aparently would do 55 mpg on the run...), although they did mention the ride is not amazing, but it sounds like it may have Yeti's darty handling.

Has anyone had a look at these? Are they any good?

Thanks!

Yep, I seriously considered one. As you say, they are very keenly priced with lots of kit fitted as standard. I tried the 2wd diesel (a 120bhp Fiat lump similar to the one in my bravo) and really liked the way it drove. It was plenty quick enough, handled well and got 60mpg on the test drive despite being brand new. The dual sunroof was great and a real plus point and it was spacious enough inside. I thought it looked ok, but is very conservative and copies the mk1 qashqai closely.

The downsides were that some of the interior felt cheap (which it is of course) with plasticky leather, and the stereo sounded pants which really put me off. They weren't doing any discounts either, but that's to be expected on launch weekend and may have changed now.

Went to a launch night with a friend.

I thought the inside was awful.

The dealer was a Kia agent also.

He sold 2 Kia Sportage that night.

People seem to show less interest in the Suzuki SX4.

The only thing i did like was the free buffet laid on

Funnily enough the launch night at my local dealer had a good buffet and Kias in the other part of the showroom too.

I was the youngest potential customer there by some margin - mostly it was their existing Suzuki Alto/Swift customers, all of whom were retired.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I went to see one (well 3...).

They are not bad cars, but doesn't feel as spacious as the Yeti, it was quite short - similar height as the Splash / Agila...

I would seriously consider it, but the headroom in the sunroof model (the one I want) is really too low in the back - the height is close to the Mercedes CLA I looked at months ago - and I cannot live with a suposedly practical car with so little head room.

If it is of the lesser model then I don't really have any particular interest as that would be closer to the 1.2 S model price.

PS the SZ4 model has some really hideous wheels (grey - not silver, wheels).

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread revival, but I like the Cross but quite fancy the new Vitara to replace my Grand Vitara. It isn't a proper off roader, but looks to have reasonable ground clearance and a centre diff lock equivalent :) Anyone seen one yet?

Now, now, stones in glass houses and all that  :D

I don't think the Roomster won many awards in the looks department...

Skoda%20Roomster.png?1356013459

I like the front half and I like the back half, but like Jelly and Tomato soup, they don't really go together.

I like the front half and I like the back half, but like Jelly and Tomato soup, they don't really go together.

I like the side profile and rear profile but the narrow front view...not as much.Overall its a car I still enjoy looking at because I appreciate things that look a little different.I've owned classic cars,sports cars and everything else in between and I've never had so many positive comments from people as I've had with the Roomster.Example.....last night I pulled into a garage to fuel up and there was a beautiful Jag V8 at the pumps I was admiring it and the woman passenger got out to stretch her legs and came over to say how much she liked my car,she was really suprised when i told her it was a Skoda.I get this all the time.Even my 2x BMW neighbour over the road came over to look round it today when I was hoovering

I agree though,that for some,its a marmite car,its very colour dependant especially,but the only two cars i would swap it for would be a newer Roomster diesel  with the panoramic roof or a Yeti.Its a car the ladies love...and thats fine by me. :rofl:

Edited by faradaycage

The profile is nice, its just I can't see a link between the styling of the two windows. Some curved and some straight, nothing parallel either. Don't get me wrong I used to own a 1 series and they were quite challenging in their day.

As someone said about the Roomster before, it looks like one guy designed the front, another the rear and they never spoke to each other until they saw the finished product.

The Suzuki is built on Fiat running gear I believe? Probably no better or worse than any other similar vehicle in its price bracket.

As someone said about the Roomster before, it looks like one guy designed the front, another the rear and they never spoke to each other until they saw the finished product.

The Suzuki is built on Fiat running gear I believe? Probably no better or worse than any other similar vehicle in its price bracket.

Its the old Fiat Multipla debate you either love it for its quirky individuality or jump on the bandwagon with the naysayers. :D :p

It has some Fiat (certainly the diesel engine, although I am not sure about the petrol version), but nothing like as much as the old SX4 which was a proper sister car to the Fiat Sedici (I had a Sedici 4x4)

Its the old Fiat Multipla debate you either love it for its quirky individuality or jump on the bandwagon with the naysayers. :D :p

I loved the original Multipla and then they ruined it with a facelift to make it look more 'normal'

• Like 3

for me quirky rules hence 2 x yeti Mk1's

When I saw the original yeti, I thought it looked like the love child of a Ford Scorpio and a Hearse. But by the time the facelift came round I had grown used to it's looks and now I miss them as they were much more characterful to my eyes. The first of the E class Mercs with the droopy eye thing, looked hideous the first time I saw them, but now I like the elegance of them :D

Having said all that, I never got to like the Impreza bug eye look..........yeuch!

• Like 1