Boot sill protector

I just been on the rear guard website and it does list the combi mark iv onwards, BUT it does not fit VRS combi by the looks of it!

http://www.rearguards.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=RBP610&sid=18139a88x82y2u5z99293611xd63qbw4

OOPS! Sorry. Well spotted. Didn't notice that one, possibly because it's the vRS I'm interested in. That type of contour is what I want though, with a lip that comes down over the back edge, which is where a lot of the wear occurs loading stuff in and out. Will give them a call tomorrow and find out whether there will be a vRS fitment sometime.

• Like 2

Just phoned Rearguards to ask the question, the lady on the phone couldnt give a date, just that they will be working on one and to keep checking the website.

not a huge amount of help but i like the idea of getting a Carbon look boot sill protector.

You're ahead of me Rob! Many thanks. Wonder why they haven't replied to my mail, because it always puts me off when service is not first class. However, you've got us an answer, so we know to keep any eye open on their site. I agree: from what I could tell the carbon look might work with my Race Blue.

Some good news in that my Rhino boot liner came today and seems a pretty good piece of kit for those rubbish-to-tip occasions or carrying bags of compost etc. Thanks to others here for the tip on this one.

Yes, sorry life got in the way. Managed to wash the car and fit this today. Not bad for £5 and I prefer it to the glossy plastic boot sill protectors as its virtually invisible unless close up. Its basically a piece of thick pre-cut sticky back plastic. Its contoured well for the tailgate but a little off shape for the lip of the bumper. Hopefully you can see this from the photos. I applied it using the soapy water method.

As you can see from the photos, it covers the vast majority of the boot sill but doesn't extend to the lip of bumper edge......but neither do the glossy plastic protectors either.

Overall I'm happy with it, you can't really go wrong for £5. Its also easily removable.

12140030894_88e7ea8043_b.jpg

12140286316_d92407077e_b.jpg

12140287976_f9ae158990_b.jpg

12139636875_acd7e7f131_b.jpg

• Like 2

The Skoda OEM ones are good. Had one fitted by a mate to my old Fabia vRS estate after the wife and dog both served to take chunks out of it.

The only issue...they are not an amature DIY fit. They have a template kit and specific VAG approved surface prep and bonding agents you are supposed to use. They have adhesive tape on them but effectively need to be bonded on too; reckon id have destroyed the bumper doing it myself as im a royal clutz

Skoda product is the way I'm also going and it's on the order form, so should be covered by the full vehicle warranty if it decided to fall off.

TP

Agreed, fortunate enough that my best mate is a great mechanic and has in the past worked on considerably more expensive metal than my Fabia (race and supercars predominantly), hes also massively anal where this sort of thing is concerned so got lucky.

Got dealer quality fit and finish at mates rates; no doubt my dealer would have charged me £120-180 in time alone, thats what put me off getting it done by the dealer. Hopefully they'll do that for you as part of the deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Bought the rear guard protector and definitely recommend it. Tried the see-through ebay one but messed up application and seems too easy to get wrong. Maybe I'm a clutz too but hey-ho.

IMG_20140211_171136.jpg

IMG_20140211_171145.jpg

I unfortunately didn't get it exactly on so now the boot lid catches it slightly when closed and makes a bit of a thud when closing the boot. Not damaging anything though so not too worried. Looks like it will do the job though. The bag contains instructions and a 3M residue remover and it does warn not to have anything on the paint; though I'd already done my protection detail and had Gtechniq C1 & Exo V2 on there and doesn't seem to have made much effect to the adhesion. Can get pics of it applied if wanted.

Thanks,

John