Full Apple iPhone integration without Mitsumi

Has anyone got video playing on a Columbus without matsumi? All the music works including album art and playlists on the USB plug. Just can't get it to play video. The file plays but only sound and no visual?!

On my bolero i had to go into the settings, then video and set the format to 'automatic' to get it to play.

Hi all,

I never spec'd Mitsumi on my BW47 vRS estate so imagine my surprise when I plugged my iPhone 5 into the USB socket just to charge it and up pops the Phone on the screen of my Columbus and starts playing music (bluetooth was off). All content on my phone is browsable from the Columbus screen, album art displayed and no Mitsumi interface installed. Just USB. Tried it with my iPad Air too. Works great.

Thanks for that info, I am really happy to read this as I have ordered a Columbus sat for my Octavia vRS.

I have been thinking over the last coupe of days, as to whether I should ring the dealer and ask to add on the Canton upgrade.

I have the Canton and for the money, it's quite awesome. I definitely don't regret getting it.

Thanks for the info :-)

Hmm I think it might be worth asking to add this on to my order, hopefully I can pay separately, so I don't have to go back and redo the finance agreement.

Hmm I think it might be worth asking to add this on to my order, hopefully I can pay separately, so I don't have to go back and redo the finance agreement.

That's what I did with sunset glass, dealer said I'll need to pay cash for it when I collected the car..... When I collected the car they forgot all about it so I got me sunset glass for free :D

• Like 1

Thanks for that info, I am really happy to read this as I have ordered a Columbus sat for my Octavia vRS.

I have been thinking over the last coupe of days, as to whether I should ring the dealer and ask to add on the Canton upgrade.

You're welcome. The manual and brochures don't make it clear that you don't need Mitsumi if you have the Columbus. Hope this helps others. 

If you love music, go for the Canton upgrade if you have the money - well worth it and you won't regret it.

Do a search, there was an entire topic regarding the Canton and people's opinions on how it compared to the competition. It would be worth a read.

I have as you suggested had a quick search, I didn't delve too deeply, most posts seems to say it's worth the money, I don't intend to have a separate speaker system installed.

You're welcome. The manual and brochures don't make it clear that you don't need Mitsumi if you have the Columbus. Hope this helps others. 

If you love music, go for the Canton upgrade if you have the money - well worth it and you won't regret it.

I will email the dealer on Monday.

That's what I did with sunset glass, dealer said I'll need to pay cash for it when I collected the car..... When I collected the car they forgot all about it so I got me sunset glass for free :D

I have never been that lucky :(

I was generally looking through the brochure last night, for the first time I actually looked at the whole thing rather than skipping to the vRS page.

On page 20 which shows the Octavia S under technology it says:

MDI (Multi Device Interface) - USB and Aux-in connection sockets ***

At the bottom of the page.

*** For connection of Apple devices, the optional 'Mitsumi' Apple device connection must be ordered or the Columbus satellite navigation system.

I don't see it mentioned anywhere else in the brochure, I haven't downloaded the owners manual yet.

Yes you're right, its in the latest revision of the brochure.

Its not in mine from August 2013 hence my confusion.

That explains it, I haven't seen an older brochure, but thanks again for pointing it out, I was very happy to read your original post.

What happens when you Bluetooth instead? My Mum has recently had a new Jaguar XF Sportbrake, when I Bluetooth to that it comes up with the artist, track name & album name, but no artwork, I haven't tried the USB connection yet.

What happens when you Bluetooth instead? My Mum has recently had a new Jaguar XF Sportbrake, when I Bluetooth to that it comes up with the artist, track name & album name, but no artwork, I haven't tried the USB connection yet.

The same functionality - all the metadata from the current track (minus the album art) is displayed. You just have to use the phone if you wanted to change to anything outside of the current playlist / album.

Its much better (safer?) to use the Columbus touchscreen rather than looking down at your phone IMO. Not sure if you can use the MaxiDOT via the MFSW to change albums/playlists. Must check that out.

Either way, its a nice surprise that the Columbus supports iOS natively. I keep finding out little things like this with the car and I'm always left pleasantly surprised.

This cable comes in very handy to avoid long trailing Lightening Cables.

• Like 2

On my bolero i had to go into the settings, then video and set the format to 'automatic' to get it to play.

Are you sure you were at a complete stand still when you tried? You don't get video when on the move, only the audio part of the file.

I have checked and it's set to auto and I was indeed parked up, hand break on.

My old multi pin touch displays the files on the screen but won't play it and my mrs iPhone 5 it won't even see the files, just music ones.

Am I doing something stupid....?

I have checked and it's set to auto and I was indeed parked up, hand break on.

My old multi pin touch displays the files on the screen but won't play it and my mrs iPhone 5 it won't even see the files, just music ones.

Am I doing something stupid....?

Which cable are you using, the one with the blue collar or the red collar? You need the red one for video.

Have you got videos playing on a Bolero from sd or USB ?

Which cable are you using, the one with the blue collar or the red collar? You need the red one for video.

Yep. Appears I've missed something. where do I get the correct cable. I've just been using the cable that came with the ipod...

Edited by Boycie999