2014 F1 General Discussion Thread.

KenONeill

Xavier, on 28 Jul 2014 - 16:05, said:

Regarding the sound of the new V6 engines, am I wrong to actually really like it?

No. I think the screaming engines of the past were certainly an experience, but it was an experience of the engine and nothing more.

Now you can hear the tyres squealing as well as hearing the various components of the new powertrains working their magic, the torque levels available in these V6's (along with the banning of exhaust blown diffusers) mean the drivers are challenged way more on corner exit if they don't want to spin out of the race. It's all good :thumbup:

Nah, nothing will replace the screaming NA monsters. If I am to do without the noise I'd rather watch Formula E live than current F1 which is neither there nor here. I did not enjoy the complete lack of noise. GP2 was far more visceral experience I am afraid... 

£20m pay off, cheap at twice the price. Good to see money can still bypass the truth.

Court has now agreed that Bernie can pay a "settlement" in order to end the court case which was hearing whether Bernie paid a bribe in the first place. Is this double standards?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28656050

What was it?

Video (without narration) of some of the great old F1 cars - Hesketh et al

Was great until it got pulled.

Oh and to cap it all, there are conditions attached on the settlement by Bernie:

The £60m will be handed to the state of Bavaria and Ecclestone’s lawyer Sven Thomas revealed to The Independent that he will ask the court on Tuesday to use the money to build a new Formula One track in the region

LOL, the biggest farce I ever heard of!

Eccelstone, cheat who bribed people to earn more money. He got caught, had court case against him. Somehow managed to pay his way out of it with huge amount of money. In itself this is beyond disgusting. To add insult to injury he requires.requests/demands (choose the one you want) the "official bribery money" to be used by local German Government to build a F1 track, which will make him more money... and I thought British Legal System was the crappiest in the world, looks like Germany is not far behind... - legal system exists so super rich can do whatever they want without any consequences thanks to unscrupulous, morale-less lawyers. 

I feel sick  :sick:

• Like 2

I can't imagine that £60M would build much of an F1 track and all it's supporting infrastructure.

Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about, if true, it seemed like a victimless crime. The court knew they might not be able to secure a conviction, Bernie knew that there was a possibility they might. I'm no legal expert, nor a crusading moralist, but to me it doesn't look much different to plea bargaining that operates in many judicial systems around the world.

Perhaps of more concern (certainly to me) is the issue surrounding today's report of the parole judge saying, when he thought the victims parents couldn't hear, that their impact statements had no effect on parole decisions. To mislead people into thinking they are having some impact on a criminals treatment because of the impact the crime had on them is wholly wrong and a sign of the every increasing failure of our legal system.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just one word:

Spa . . . . yes, Spaaaaaaaaaaa!!

The best track of the year, this weekend.

Hamilton v Rosberg: Let battle (re)commence.

Throw in a bit of rain (as is usual in the Ardennes at this time of year) and anyone could win.

Just one word:

Spa . . . . yes, Spaaaaaaaaaaa!!

The best track of the year, this weekend.

Hamilton v Rosberg: Let battle (re)commence.

Throw in a bit of rain (as is usual in the Ardennes at this time of year) and anyone could win.

Yes indeed, time to forget dull Bernie and get back to the racing at one of the best circuits in the world.

Kobayashi also out this weekend... replaced by Le Mans winner, Andre Lotterer,

Oldest F1 race debut for a while? He's late 20s I think,

He's 32.

Should be a good weekend. Normally after the Summer break you see some big gains from teams. Will be interesting to see if anyone will cose the gap to Mercedes.

The news Max Verstappen will be racing next year is bonkers. He'll be 17 when he races for Toro Rosso next year. Sure he maybe good but surely it makes a mockery of Red Bull's young driver program. They have loads of proven drivers to choose from and yet bypass them all for him. It will either be one of the best moves ever made or a complete disaster.

Really looking forward to this weekend for sure.

Hoping to see some teams with added speed and a good strategy.

Just hope the new drivers on show don't get caught up in any mishaps to ruin a potentially great race.

He's 32.

Should be a good weekend. Normally after the Summer break you see some big gains from teams. Will be interesting to see if anyone will cose the gap to Mercedes.

The news Max Verstappen will be racing next year is bonkers. He'll be 17 when he races for Toro Rosso next year. Sure he maybe good but surely it makes a mockery of Red Bull's young driver program. They have loads of proven drivers to choose from and yet bypass them all for him. It will either be one of the best moves ever made or a complete disaster.

Isnt their whole point to find young talent? Not just midcore drivers but real good, future WDC material. Vergne might well have been ok for a midfield team but 3 seasons is enough to know if he'll really be going places I suspect. Sounds harsh but I want to see the best drivers out there racing.