Auto Express Test.

leckman

Should be interesting. I'm hoping that the new i10 doesn't trump the Citigo as I haven't even got mine yet.

Not interested. Our Citigo is FAB. Just what we wanted. If we always listened to what the papers said we would all be driving the same thing and changing it every 5 minutes. 

dull looking car that i10 - is it a rebadge of a fiesta or vauxhall corsa??

No, it's actually quite a good car for the price.

Personally I think it'll be close between the Citigo and the new I10.

• Like 1

I've been grumpy since I was 14  :giggle:  I have learned to make my own mind up on what I like. So many times the so called experts don't live in the real world and think of the practicalities of life, such as people can't afford to change their car just because another one has a fancy this or that. For Me the citygo has just what I want. comfort, space, good driving, cheap to run, a few toys. We buy a car to enjoy and keep for more than a couple of years.

Always grumpy of Eastleigh  :angel:

• Like 4

I predict the i10 will win, it's the new media band-waggon. They are so fickle. As far as I know the new i10 is effectively a re-styled Kia Picanto with similar UGLY body sculpting. Really don't like it.

Im looking forward to it!

I fully expect the hyundai to win, as it will have been benchmarked against the up/citigo/mii etc regarding spec and NVH and in those circumstances the VAG group vehicles fall down..

IMHO all it would take is a quieter gearbox, windy rear windows on the 5door, drivers side controls for the passenger window with heated mirrors on SE upwards. And the car would be much more competitive!

TBH the whole Kia/Hyundai deal is great for the industry... it keeps the mainstream manufacturers honest.

• Like 1

An interesting topic.  Times are hard and I need to downsize from my Octy 1.8Tsi - probably one of the best petrol engines I've ever had, but the cam chain tensioner is a major concern on these engines and I've got an early one. I can't afford the risk of an engine failure costing £6k plus, not helped by the fact that Skoda seem to be concealing the fact that they know about it. The problem is all over the Octavia, Audi and Golf Gti forums. I bought an extended warranty for a year, but that ends soon.

So it's gone, I've done a deal.  Originally I thought I'd get a Citigo Elegance, my wife financed her nipper with a Citigo some time back and it's very good indeed. I've also driven the dealers demo Citigo, so I'm familiar with the Citigo. Only downside seems  to be a known gearbox/clutch problem and 'Honest John' is aware of this one on his forum.

Then some weeks ago I got wind of the new Hyundai i10 and had a good thrash around the lanes and over the downs in the dealers demo 1250cc 87bhp 4 pot Kappa engined i10 a few days ago.  It is simply brilliant. It's German designed and built in Turkey.  Good revvy chain cam engine, brilliant precise gear change and good fun to drive. I personally thought the styling of the new i10 is cool,-  the old i10 was total rubbish styling. I thought that the steering wasn't perhaps quite as involving as the Citigo, but that's all. Brilliant stoppers - discs all round. Just like the Citigo, you can really sling the new i10 around.

Massively better equipped in most areas, I've ordered the Premium version, which prices out pretty well identical to the Citigo Elegance 5 door. So for the same price, I've got a really good, well specced small car, with a 5 year warranty and 3 years free servicing.  And - the Hyundai dealer gave me £500 more than the Skoda dealer offered and bought the Octy off me straight away. (We've got a second car, a small 4wd, so no probs being down to one for a while.)

Hyundai Dealer thinks that when mine arrives, they will come with cruise control fitted as well. There is a full size wheel well, space saver £50, or a full size steel for £99. (I've gone for the latter.)

Make up your own minds, but I think that Hyundai will sell these new i10's by the shed load. The good news is that the VW Up! - Citigo - Seat Mii, will have to be more aggressively priced to keep sales going, but that's all good for the customers.

I find it slightly regrettable that those who prefer the i10 can't get the automatic in the top spec?  It's the same with the current model....auto only on the Active spec.

My understanding, having looked closely at the available reviews, is it's a bit more than a re-styled Picanto but admittedly they do seem to be carrying over the same 1.2 engine and gearbox which doesn't bode well if the first three or four years worth of (the mark one) owner's experience is anything to go by (see the owners forums re. clutch and gearbox problems which Hyundai dragged their heels over in getting fixed).

It's no secret I have an i10 (auto) and have driven a couple of Citigos (manual and ASG) and have decided to keep the i10 for a while.  I/we happen to prefer an auto and happen not to like the ASG (quite the opposite, in fact).  And I'm not keen on bare paint inside the doors  or in the boot and do prefer proper openers on the rear windows as well as driver operated passenger windows and, ideally, a light in the boot.  And next time I buy something I'd like a parcel shelf with those sophisticated raising/lowering assistance aids (or bits of cord to you and me).

And having had a few issues with transmissions in the past myself I'd like to be reassured that those owners of clicking clutch pedals and noisy gearboxes had their complaints addressed. 

Indeed I'll look at the comparison next week with an element of interest but might suggest that, of the three, the variant which offers the most in terms of uniqueness (is that a word?) would be the Panda.....but in  4x4 guise.  Apparently reasonably unstoppable in the rough but cute enough to cut a dash round town.  But don't mention it on Landyzone, or any of the other 4x4 forums.  They get distinctly caustic at the thought of anything other than a  Defender or a Disco daring to venture on to anything more than a wet grass verge. Remarkably so in fact - I've looked in there once or twice and have been dismayed at the level of unpleasantness (and much worse) that they dispense to lesser mortals with Suzuki Jimnys or Fiat 4x4s who offer themselves as lambs to the slaughter.  And if you're female  to boot then don a hard hat and safety wellies.  Makes Briskoda look like a polite exchange over tea and cakes at the WI meeting in the village hall.

I had an i10 before buying CitiGo. Hated it as it was too small inside and on the motorway it was too flimsy. Hyundai claimed 57 mph and i hardly got 45. Last week i went to see the new i10, yes it definitely looks far better but still inside its too cramped. After the test drive I sat in my citigo sport and I got the smile back on my face. Common, you cant put german technology and Korean bubble on a same platform.fiat panda is a plastic toy. Hate it!!

• Like 1

Indeed I'll look at the comparison next week with an element of interest but might suggest that, of the three, the variant which offers the most in terms of uniqueness (is that a word?) would be the Panda.....but in  4x4 guise.  Apparently reasonably unstoppable in the rough but cute enough to cut a dash round town.

Take a test drive of the Panda 4x4.

The diesel is noisy and unrefined.

The petrol (twin air) is even more noisy and unrefined!

I tested both, there is no way I could live with them day to day.

They are also noticably more expensive than the regular Panda.

Having not driven a Panda I must grant you the distinct advantage there.  It would be a generalization (again) but I would enter in to Fiat ownership with a degree of trepidation but something about the looks of the 4x4 and Trekking appeals and the novelty of a small city car with the ability to tackle a bit of inclemency has a strange appeal.  My venture into a local Fiat dealership wasn't a rewarding experience, but I shouldn't dwell on that and whilst the Panda isn't the safest of small cars according to NCAP  I still cast the odd glance in their direction and wonder if I 'd like one.  Agreed the little engine holds no appeal and my journey type wouldn't be great for a diesel.....but until I drive one (and maybe put myself off) I'll have a bit of a hankering.

I actually quite facied a little 4x4 Panda as a cheaper Yeti alternative for a runaround.

But sadly the experience was no where near as good.

I actually thought the petrol (twin air) was the diesel from it's performance and noise, until the salesman corrected me on the test drive.

Imagine how surprised I was to get in the diesel and find it more refined than a petrol!

• Like 1