Auto Express Test.

leckman

All forums think their car is the best.Go on the Fiat forum and they would not touch the little box Citigo/UP. The Mazda forum would not touch a Fiat. The Kia forum would never have a little Smart. Yes all owners think their cars are the best,when infact these days nearly all cars are good. Even the Dacia Sandero for only £6000 or the Duster for £9000.

The new i10 has had rave reviews from the motoring press,saying it rides like a car fom a class above.Very quiet and smooth,however like Oldstan says,i do not know why Automatic is not offered on the top Premium spec. Mind you automatic on the i10 gives rubbish MPG at only 30 MPG round town.

The best value small car must be the Citroen C1. You can get £2000 discount off a new one and 63 pre reg for £6500-£7000. Chain cam,50 MPG,group 1 insurance,spare wheel,and the VTR+ has alloys and privacy glass.

At the end of the day its down to choice.For me i want the best deal with the best discount.I pick around 4 or 5 different cars to test drive,and then decide.I like to keep an open mind,but if one deal costs me £5000 less than another,as it has in the past,then thats the one i will go for.

As well as Auto Express doing the 3 car test next week, Autocar is doing a full test of the Hyundai i10.

Edited by SMART EXAMINER
  • Like 1

All forums think their car is the best.Go on the Fiat forum and they would not touch the little box Citigo/UP. The Mazda forum would not touch a Fiat. The Kia forum would never have a little Smart. Yes all owners think their cars are the best,when infact these days nearly all cars are good. Even the Dacia Sandero for only £6000 or the Duster for £9000.

The new i10 has had rave reviews from the motoring press,saying it rides like a car fom a class above.Very quiet and smooth,however like Oldstan says,i do not know why Automatic is not offered on the top Premium spec. Mind you automatic on the i10 gives rubbish MPG at only 30 MPG round town.

The best value small car must be the Citroen C1. You can get £2000 discount off a new one and 63 pre reg for £6500-£7000. Chain cam,50 MPG,group 1 insurance,spare wheel,and the VTR+ has alloys and privacy glass.

At the end of the day its down to choice.For me i want the best deal with the best discount.I pick around 4 or 5 different cars to test drive,and then decide.I like to keep an open mind,but if one deal costs me £5000 less than another,as it has in the past,then thats the one i will go for.

As well as Auto Express doing the 3 car test next week, Autocar is doing a full test of the Hyundai i10.

30mpg!!!!    ???      

Bliss!! 

My last tankful was 27.3mpg (brim to brim).  Admittedly it did include quite a lot of short runs....but still not good.   It has averaged 32 mpg in the two and a half years I/we have had it.

Hyundai gave me untold grief getting problems sorted but now it's uneventful and reliable - and my Mrs likes it, which is the only reason we still have it.  I got rid of the first (manual) i10 within a short time having had even more grief from Hyundai during our ownership of it.  Both were bought new.  As a result I'd enter into ownership of a third one with caution and certainly wouldn't pay list price.  We got about £1500 off our two and wouldn't get another without a similar discount - and would also negotiate a servicing agreement for the first three years as servicing isn't especially cheap. 

The 5 yr warranty is an attraction though, as is the 5 yr breakdown/recovery with the RAC.

I actually think I much prefer the Toyota route, given the warranty, safety and reliability aspects.  They do the Yaris with CVT and I can live with that (having had a CVT Jazz)...and the CVT is more economical than the manual.

Edited by oldstan

My wife's current car is a 2004 automatic  Kia Picanto (possibly the sister car to the Hyundai i10) and the fuel consumption is shocking! A full tank will hardly do 200miles. Had it checked over a few times and allegedly the autos are normally bad on fuel consumptions on the Picanto.

Can't wait for the Citigo to arrive and then saving on fuel costs!

My wife's current car is a 2004 automatic  Kia Picanto (possibly the sister car to the Hyundai i10) and the fuel consumption is shocking! A full tank will hardly do 200miles. Had it checked over a few times and allegedly the autos are normally bad on fuel consumptions on the Picanto.

Can't wait for the Citigo to arrive and then saving on fuel costs!

I think the 2004 car is a bit too early for comparison....more likely that the later version would be a sister car with it's identical 12. engine and TC transmission that they fitted to the current i10 and continue to fit in the new i10 with very little modification, as I understand.

Oldstan and Veedub 210......The problem is the autos are traditional torque converter boxes that sap power and use more fuel.Thats why most small cars  use the new type of auto boxes these days,which are robotised manuals,ASG,MMT,DSG,CVT etc. They might be a bit slower to change gear,but they do not use more fuel,infact some return better MPG in town.

The new i10 Automatic also costs more in road tax than the manual. I would want the Premium spec with heated seats which now cost more unlike the old i10 that included them,but with the automatic box.This is not available,so seeing as i cant see myself ever buying a manual again,i have to cross it off the list.

Talking about Fiats,i have owned 2. A Cinq Sporting which i had for 8 years,and a Panda 100 HP.Both were 100% reliable,and the Panda was quick,0-60 in 9 seconds,but only 30 MPG round town.

I still fancy the Citigo or UP when i change,in September,but again i would prefer the Sport in automatic,which you cant have,so it would be the Elegance ASG with privacy glass and Black wheels,or the High UP ASG.It all depends on the best discount.

I have read the thread and there are some interesting points here.

When we purchased the Citigo Sport it was purely based originally on seeing the car back last year at Goodwood Festival of Speed on the Skoda stand.  Wife and I looked at the car, loved the white and red stripe and said that when the Fabia goes I am having one.

It was not purely an impulse, I looked at a Fiat 500 and Panda, the i10 and Picanto, Ka! (nope straight away) some second hand cars, Fabia (but had one of those although a mark 1), Polo, Ibiza, Fiesta etc.

It just came down to the fact that when I drove the Up (to rule it out only because of cost, I still like the glass tailgate :giggle: ) the Citigo drove very well indeed. I just wanted a small run around, I drove an "S" spec for 24 hours and I have to say, that is what really sold the car to me.  As I have said already, would have been very happy with an "S" spec but I kinda set my heart on a white Sport.  The main reason being that I was a very big Marco Simoncelli fan and of course those who know his colours on his Gresini bike where white and red.

But I didn't really like the way 2 Korean cars drove, I preferred the German feel of the Up/Citigo.  And another point was I don't like the local Kia garage and was not prepared to travel miles to go to another dealer.  The local Skoda dealer is great and I like doing business with them.  I like the Skoda brand and I have VCDS so it is nice to be able to play with the car rather than asking a dealer to do it.

For me it was the overall package although I am sure there are equally as many happy i10/Picanto owners as there are Up/Citigo.  I can't knock the warranty though of the Korean manufacturers.

I think competition is good as it brings the best out in all manufacturers.

Finally, I was disappointed in the "Adam".  All the hype and I think it is expensive for what it is and you hardly see one on the road!

• Like 1

No, it's actually quite a good car for the price.

Personally I think it'll be close between the Citigo and the new I10.

unless mpg is an issue and then the citigo is a clear winner. i'm trading in a hyundai for the citigo because of the mpg. The new i10 looks good if that's your preference?

The auto on the i10 is too old hat - eficiency is poor. I hope the crash protection is a lot better then the old one too. You can't have cruise control on the auto either. The C1 is not good in crash protection so you would have to get an old design like that at a very big discount in my book.CVT is a possibility for you guys looking for an auto if you don't get on with ASG. Servicing is not cheap on Hyundai or Fiat.

The extra 2 years warrany extension on the Skoda is not too expensive but I don't think you can go to Europe on the Hyundai breakdown cover. I see Skoda now have inclusive deals for maintainance etc too. Andy.

I have to throw in I think the second hand value on the citigo will be better than most, it does seem to have a lot of eye candy appeal which will make it sell better IMHO. Its just that the i10 looks bland, just like many others, you wouldnt choose it on looks...

And im not overly baised I dont think. I have had all sorts of cars.

Hooray for the 2012 Skoda Citigo which came out (just!) ahead of the brand new for 2015 Hyundai i10 in today's Auto Express test. :whew:  Both cars achieved 5 stars with the Fiat Panda gaining 4 stars.

Edited by JimmyR

I read the test earlier. It looks a bit weird as they've  reviewed the i10 against a Citigo SE but used a Citigo Sport for all the photos. So it mentions 'steel wheels and plastic trims' but the photos show lovely black alloys.

It also makes a point of saying that the i10 has the biggest boot at 252 litres. And the Skoda? 251 litres.

Although they've given both 5 stars, for me the skoda wins in the important areas. Faster, more economical, less depreciation. It's also quieter on the move, and has significantly better brakes.

Autocar aren't too keen on the new i10 in their Autotest this week.  They list the Up as being above the i10 in the summary of the test and by implication the Citigo and Mii too.

Autocar aren't too keen on the new i10 in their Autotest this week.  They list the Up as being above the i10 in the summary of the test and by implication the Citigo and Mii too.

Yes,and they list the Panda as the best car.

I see the Brokers are giving over £1000 discount off the new i10,and the car has only just come out.They are also giving a £1000 off the new Mini which is not out till March for advanced orders.

I see what you mean - it looks like 9k will buy an i10 1.0 premium, which gives more kit than the equivalent VAG offering.

If I can get myself a test drive I'll let you know how it compares. Can't see it being as good a drive but having four proper windows and a boot light should be nice.

I have just driven the new Hyundai i10 here in Sweden today and all I can say is wow! I normally drive my wife's Aygo for short trips (and some time longer trips). I have driven VW Up twice before and was very impressed by it. Today's drive with i10 was as much if not more exciting. The finish seems to be better than the UP. They give you more goodies inside the car. It behaves very stable on the road, even at 130km/hour. Noise is really reduced. Motor way friendly. Good steering response. Engine, 1 litre is very responsive. Accelerates quickly and behaves like a bigger engine. The whole car behaves and feels like a bigger car. Brakes are killers! Very responsive and effective.Seats are comfortable and can be height adjusted (unlike Aygo). This is a different beast compared to the old i10 which was a junk in comparison. The two best small cars right now are VW Up and family and Hyundai i10.

Go and test drive it without bias!

They've done nothing about the fuel consumption though as lots of owners complain about. Very off putting.

Sent from my PID using Tapatalk

That's why my next car was not the new i10, i am having my CitiGo built this week (Hopefully)

• Like 1

VW having developed what is by all accounts a sensational car - the Up! GT, which has now been canned, - why oh why isn't this  turbo 3 pot engine being used in one of the Up! derivatives. A Citigo Vrs with about 108bhp would have been absolutely fantastic, the Citigo chassis just needs more power and it would have been cheaper than a VW version. Would have looked great in race blue and would have sold loads. Perhaps VW are still embarrassed about letting Skoda do the original Fabia (diesel) Vrs. I had one - HW05 JYX in silver. Fantastic. I wonder where it is now. What a car.

Now, if someone wants a city car with more oomph, without paying out too much, the i10 with the 1248cc engine and 86/87bhp is the way to go. Price for a i10 Premium, is roughly the same as a 5 door Citigo Elegance, 75 or is it 74 bhp? The 4 pot 1200cc Panda only gives about 66bhp and is asthmatic. Twin Air is a bit pricey.

I'm not surprised the i10 owners complain about fuel consumption, most of the recent old i10's were the 1248cc version, and is is a revvy engine and it's difficult to avoid using right foot, it goes well.  Despite what the manufacturers claim, as a generalisation, small petrol engines plus lots of welly equals tanks empty quickly!

A Citigo Vrs with about 108bhp would have been absolutely fantastic, the Citigo chassis just needs more power and it would have been cheaper than a VW version. Would have looked great in race blue and would have sold loads.

Sources? After the massive sales disappointment of the Fabia vRS mk2, I doubt we'll be seeing a non-Octavia vRS for a long long time.

Problem seems to be that VW in their wisdom decreed that along with the Polo Gti, the Mk2 Fabia Vrs had to have a DSG box, (no manual option).  Many commentators in the journalistic motoring world considered that this was the monumental mistake that caused sales to flop. I wonder if VAG have learned the lesson? Certainly in the UK, people buying hot hatches don't in the main want autos.

The Up! GT was built with a six speed manual box.