Fuel consumption 1.8TSI

I do short (16km) hilly daily commutes. The engine is hardly at the right temperature when I arrive.

My commute is currently about 25 miles. The engine seems to warm up very quickly, much faster than the diesel lump in my old Octavia.

It's actually not that far off the economy of that car. I think I was averaging about 47-8 in that car (which was also given Shell V-Power).

If I could restrain myself, I reckon I could get 42mpg no probs.

My commute is currently about 25 miles. The engine seems to warm up very quickly, much faster than the diesel lump in my old Octavia.

It's actually not that far off the economy of that car. I think I was averaging about 47-8 in that car (which was also given Shell V-Power).

If I could restrain myself, I reckon I could get 42mpg no probs.

The water temperature is at 90°C after 4 to 5 km. But the oil temperature requires close to 15 km, at least in winter.

The water temperature is at 90°C after 4 to 5 km. But the oil temperature requires close to 15 km, at least in winter.

Perfect, I'm doing slightly more than that. Where I live has a micro climate anyway so it's generally warmer, though probably not at the moment!

Besides, at the moment I'm always looking for excuses to go the long way round or just go for a drive whilst I'm getting to know the car.

So I'm assuming the best economy happens once the oil has reached operating temperature. I did notice the economy was worse driving to work compared with driving home 12 hours later yesterday. I'm guessing the outside temperature difference was at least 10℃

With a mix of traffic, roads and driving I get a long term average just under 35mpg (about 6.8 l/100km) out of the 4x4, not bad for what it is. Does the job it was bought for really well and to be honest it is more than I was expecting.

• Like 1

My average consumption over the last 13000km is 31,7mpg.

On long, rural runs I can get up to 44mpg.

I have a 1.8tsi 4x4.

With my 2.0 TSi vRS, I'm currently getting around about 32 on the short journey to work 7 miles and for a longer run down the A3 towards the coast around about 44-48 with a bit of speed, if I'm light footed I can get about 50 for short patches.

Haven't done Somerset this year (might not be able to) but last year I did it an it returned on a Taunton - Guildford (virtually non stop run), 48 mpg. Admittedly I have a new car and so I won't expect it to be as good for a while but after 2k miles which won't be long now, I'll be expecting some better figures.

With a mix of traffic, roads and driving I get a long term average just under 35mpg (about 6.8 l/100km) out of the 4x4, not bad for what it is. Does the job it was bought for really well and to be honest it is more than I was expecting.

35 mpg is a smidge over 8L/100. I think you used the US gallon converter Edited by Gerrycan

Weird that the 1.8 uses way more fuel compared to my 1.2 DSG which is coming in at 5.7L/100 combined. Would have thought this car would benefit from a larger engine but apparently not.

Weird that the 1.8 uses way more fuel compared to my 1.2 DSG which is coming in at 5.7L/100 combined. Would have thought this car would benefit from a larger engine but apparently not.

I dunno. The difference aint thaaat big really. My long term avg is 8.9l/100km. Much of this is winterdriving and short trips. And then add the less effective dsg6 box, 4x4, heavier car and some Webasto usage into the mix.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my car for almost a month now so thought I'd share what I've been getting. The long term average is 39.5mpg. The average for the current tank (after about 150 miles) is 40.5. The worst economy I've seen for a journey has been 33.5 and the best 46.5. All things considered, given the performance potential, I'm really quite pleased.

Hi.

What is your experience with fuel consumption on this engine? I have a FWD that I'm running to work everyday. Mostly freeway (ca. 120KM/H) and some city driving to the ramps...

This results in roughly 0.85L/100, which is about 0,15L-0,20L higher than my old Mk2 1.6FSI Octavia. I expected consumption to be lower, not higher :p.

How many kilometers you have on your car? From my experience the consumptions decreases quite a bit from new to my 34.000km. My last long trip i had an average of 7liter/100km with average speed of 80 km/t for 400km. 

My overall (long-term, 10kkm, mixed driving) average is around ~7.3 l/100km (38mpg).

Lowest average ever was 5.7 l/100km (50mpg) with 8,3 l/100km (34mpg) on the other end of scale for mixed (city+highway) ride.

In city the worst case I had was some 9,2 l/100km (32mpg).

So far, for de first 4000 km my long term average is 7.4 (38 mpg)

Not that bad for 4x4 I think.

The 6 speed DSG is often shifting down to 5th even though it has 280 Nm from 1300 rpm.

With a little adjustment of the software I think it could be even better.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update.

I've been driving like an eco warrior lately and marvelling at the results I've been getting.

The best result I've had on my commute home (12.5 miles) has been 52mpg! I've regularly got 48-50+ too. The average for the last tank was 43. After filling up, with a warm engine I managed 58.7mpg for the 4.4 miles from the filling station home! The long term average is now nearly 42mpg.

I'm still using Shell V-Power Nitro and have now done over 1300 since buying the car, almost half the millage on the clock when I bought it.

Driving like an eco warrior only adds about 2-5 minutes to my commute. The seems to be certain sweet spots where the engine sips the fuel. The coasting function of the DSG is obviously a big help as is the fuel cut out. Each has its merits and learning when to employ one over the other has been helping. A tap (then release) of the accelerator activates coasting; a tap of the break activates fuel cut off under engine breaking, a second tap seems to drop a cog, especially downhill or I can just knock the lever into manual - but I tend not to bother.

You are never going to be buying a petrol 4x4 for economy, and I don't tend to drive it as such either. That said shortish runs mixing it with traffic I now get around 35-36 mpg, which I am quite happy with.

The mpg increased markedly almost over night at around 3000 miles which lends a bit to the urban myth that there is some sort of running-in built into the system.

First long run at general motorway speeds and it hit 40mpg average, again not really driving for economy. Can't complain at that from my point of view.

I miss the torque when hopping out of a decent diesel, however fast warmup, quiet engine and everything else this thing does well more than makes up for it.

We have 2014 1.8 TSI DSG7 Estate (fwd) which have run 45000 km over the past two years. We don`t have the driving mode option and thus the car DSG dose not uncouple the clutch when coasting. 

Long-time average was around 6,5 L/100 km (according to the trip-computer)

Longer journeys usually around 5,5-6,0 L/100 km, but down to 5,0 L/100 km on longer summer trips. 

City-driving and local milk-runs returns around 8,0 L/100 km

Neither me nor my wife drive it very economically when the road is clear, but when driving bumper to bumper we tend to drive it in a more economical manner. 

As mentioned earlier, you don`t get the 1.8 TSI for its consumption, as a diesel will always come out on top. But refinement, torque-span and eagerness when accellerating were our reasons for getting it. Due to our car-taxes the price when new was identical to 150 TDI DSG.   

Well you can compare the 1.8 TSi to the 2.0 TSi vRS DSG,

Just did 154.8 miles with an average fuel consumption of 38.8 mpg and that's Minehead, Somerset to just outside Shere, Surrey (via Williton, Crowcombe Heathfield station & Bishop's Lydeard station, Taunton, A303, A331, A31, A3100, A281, B2128, A248)

And the 141 miles from Bishop's Lydeard to home was completed non stop (apart from traffic lights etc) in 2hr 29m.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! Got a 1.8 4x4 dsg estate for 3 months with about 9000km on it, mostly highway.

My consumption figures are SHOCKING.

When driving on highway i get 10-11l/100km, which is perfectly fine for me as i go 170-180km/h all the time.

HOWEVER in the city traffic i get an average 25l/100km!!!

Even the last tank i emptied (in 3 days) measured 32l//100km..... i admit i am a bit heavy-footed but this is something else...

was thinkiing about going back to the dealer.. my friend's 4l. 2 ton bmw gives out max 15-17l./100km within the city.. and he drives hit as a car is driven, doesnt think about economy

Baffled :/ is this normal??

Baffled :/ is this normal??

City, definitely NOT normal.

I could quite literally leave my car running in the garage all night then drive off in the morning for a 100 km and still better what you are getting.

What consumption do you  normally get in your others cars you have owned/driven in the same environment?

It would still under warranty so it may be worth a trip to the dealer,

• Like 1

City, definitely NOT normal.

I could quite literally leave my car running in the garage all night then drive off in the morning for a 100 km and still better what you are getting.

What consumption do you normally get in your others cars you have owned/driven in the same environment?

It would still under warranty so it may be worth a trip to the dealer,

Hi Gerrycan, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, probably a trip to the dealer would be the next thing to do, unfortunately very inconvenient location.. Thats why i asked for some thoughts first.

Ive been driving a 3.2 td 160hp 2+ ton mitsubishi pajero with 20' 300mm wheels and the gas pedal only in on/off position for many years and have been maxing 18-20l/100km in the worst of city traffic jams...

When i got the skoda people told me that it will be thursty being a 4x4 turbo petrol and the dsg would add on to that but dang... 30l/100?? I filled the tank on monday, now i look at the dash - 98.5km from refuelling and the arrow is already west of the middle :(

I have been running it from day one only on the best 100octane fuel that i can find in my country... if this would be a factor? In theory even the oposite...

What confuses me is why do i get normal consumption out of town, as i said 170-80 kph is around 10/100, normal driving gives out 7-8, so no indications of any problem there, just within the city?

thanks for your thoughts, well appreciated!

Maybe your handbrake is on ;P

But seriously - those figures are way off. I have 1.8T dsg 2wd hatch and never even went even close to 10L/100km in my average (see my post #40 above). Last 1000km average I have is 7.0 (highway/city mix ~70/30%).

You have a new, great car and you should have fun with it - there is really no reason for you to worry and pay ridiculous money for fuel. Get your octy checked in a workshop asap; there may be something profoundly wrong and it would be a shame if problems escalate.