Fuel consumption 1.8TSI

Haha actually quite seriously - i never used the handbrake but i DID check i once ;) I openly admit my lead right foot but still thought that 14-15l (2 x factory claims) should more or less be the average city norm when i was buying the car..

I even concidered a remap or some kind of software tweak for a while but crossed that option long ago..

Anyway, thank you Wlange for the feedback on your 1.8, I will post the dealer's diagnose once i make it there if anyone has the same complaints.

Car has warranty, don't tweak it - just let them worry!

i never used the handbrake

Maybe a bit of an off-topic, but I would suggest using the handbrake rather than just "P" position on DSG. All there is, is a little mechanical lock that engages in the automatic gearbox when in "P" position. It is not really meant for the job of (regular) holding the car in place. There was also a topic on that...along with one on spectacular failed handbrake too. Good habit is to use both things, with DSG "P" thingy being only a backup for the actual handbrake anchor. Let the handbrake lever rattle a bit on top when engaging;)

Off-topic #2: you mentioning the remap...I wish I had 4x4 as you do. Besides added grip, you have 6-gear DSG which, with its wet clutch, allows much more torque load. This makes re-map or chip tuning possible. In my case I have 250Nm and that's exactly the limit on dry clutches of my 7-DSG. So...maybe smoother a bit, but no torque upgrade possible. You on the other hand could rather safely/easily push it to 350Nm/250PS.

Edited by wlange

I have the 1.8TSI 4x4.

And the worst consumption Ive calculated after a refueling was 13,7l/100km. But that was only short trips around town in sub zero tempratures and much use of the Webasto.

I've got the 4x4 for 4 months now with 7000 km on it, maybe 2% highway.

Never 170-180 km/h, if I tried I will probably be in jail for the rest of my life (yes I live in Norway)

I managed 6,4L/100 km / 44 mpg at the best, my son (who is 20 years old) managed 6,0L/100km / 47 mpg on a 150 km long trip when he borrowed my car.

Average since new is now 7,4L/100km / 38 mpg.

• Like 1

Actual consumption measurements put my 1.8TSI at high 20's around town and 38mpg at best on motorway.

I bought the car for less then £11K with 15K miles in April just gone (11 plate) so I'm very happy with it (though I changed jobs two months after I bought it and now I'm throwing 25K a year on it...)

Edited by g_tee

Considering the acceleration pedal ia either on or off in your case, there are a lot of positions in between though, the fuel consumption is normal. I mean at WOT you're always requesting full power out of the engine.

I have the same engine without the 4x4 - hence DSG7 - and with normal driving I get 10-12 l/100 km around town (pretty heavy traffic) and 6-7 l/100 km outside the city. However, when you floor the acceleration, the average immediately goes up even after a 200 km trip.

Try and drive it normally and see what happens then go to the dealer/service.

Considering the acceleration pedal ia either on or off in your case, there are a lot of positions in between though, the fuel consumption is normal. I mean at WOT you're always requesting full power out of the engine.

I have the same engine without the 4x4 - hence DSG7 - and with normal driving I get 10-12 l/100 km around town (pretty heavy traffic) and 6-7 l/100 km outside the city. However, when you floor the acceleration, the average immediately goes up even after a 200 km trip.

Try and drive it normally and see what happens then go to the dealer/service.

Hi, I drive my cars like cars are driven. The 15year old 2ton diesel suv driven in on/off mode gave out top end averages of 13-14l/100km on highways and around 17 in the traffic jams, the largest figures I ever managed to get being 15l highway 20l city. I don't see how driving "more normally" a brand new and (in my standarts) lightweight car could end up in consumption readings 50% higher than the ones mentioned.....

Even less so - the skoda is quite nimble, great traffic handler (unlike the suv) and having quite some power reserve left whe cruising with highway speeds (unlike the suv), I am basically driving the same while keeping my car (much) further down from its top range of capability, than i did with the previous one. same logic when i was concidering a remap or power box (warranty)...

At the end of the day it is the same for any turbo car its not really down to throttle position as such, more the boost you get and acceleration. Drive them in boost they use fuel disproportionately quickly, drive them off-boost they are just a standard normally aspirated engine.

In the days when we used to have proper boost gauges (before that we had vacuum gauges  :p ) and lots of turbo lag, it was easy. If you could keep the car out of boost it was very good for consumption. Keep it in boost and you get the power but it drinks fuel.

With a lot of turbo lag the demarcation was easier to feel and play with. You can get to W.O.T. without going into boost at all on some cars.

These days with little lag and seamless turbo transitions you slip into boost quite easily.

The biggest difference will always be the driver and how aggressive they are with the throttle.  :angel:  :devil:

Actual consumption measurements put my 1.8TSI at high 20's around town and 38mpg at best on motorway.

I bought the car for less then £11K with 15K miles in April just gone (11 plate) so I'm very happy with it (though I changed jobs two months after I bought it and now I'm throwing 25K a year on it...)

If fuel economy becomes a problem - the direct injection Prins Direct IiquiMax 2.0 lpg system looks interesting and uses existing petrol injectors. LPG is injected as a liquid not a gas!

http://www.prinsautogas.com/en/products/directliquimax_system/directliquimax_system.html

I was originally contemplating this when I bought mine but to be honest my fuel economy has been much better that I expected with petrol. A friend of mine has an lpg Mondeo with about 200k miles on the clock - when he changes the oil it comes out about the same colour as it went it

I'm not really worried - the bulk of the miles are because I'm now travelling 750 miles a month to London and back and that's expenses - so all my petrol cost is paid for.

Edited by g_tee
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Bit of an imposter really - got the 1.8 TSI engine in a Seat Leon FR manual - struggling to achieve a meagre 35 mpg (around 8.0/100km in metric), even driven very carefully...

Had a diesel 2.2 St Mondeo previously which easily gave me 42mpg local & 55 mpg on a long run - huge low speed torque, great economy & acceleration without being light on the pedal...

Big mistake -  the 1.8 petrol is a smooth refined engine but I rue the day I didn't go for the 184hp diesel...

• Like 1

I get 6.9l/100km average on my O3 1.8 180 dsg.

However the average on spritmonitor is about 7.7l/100km for your configuration. 

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/44-Seat/392-Leon.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2013&constyear_e=2018&power_s=175&power_e=185&gearing=1&powerunit=2

Lots of mountain or city gor you?