My PID read my texts tonight?!?

Markyg

Nipped out tonight to collect some takeaway and Mrs marky texted me and the text came through on the PID.

This has never happened before and apparently the only Android phones to work this way will need to run 4.4 and mine is running 4.3. (Sony xperia T).

Does anyone else's PID read their texts?

There's something strange going on because before it did it it crashed about the times in a row. I wonder if it was a one off or it will keep doing this.

As for Android, one of the listed updates to 4.4 is that it will fully support bluetooth protocol to read texts properly. There's something strange going on....

My S3 won't read texts at all (on the PID)...

Saying that, it won't even do voice calls through the PID most of the time.

Im just leaving it until I get a new phone later this year

Edited by damo
amended the first line

Samsung S3s come with a 2 year warranty, it's well worth sending it back to them for repair. I had to send mine back as for some reason I couldn't switch on the Bluetooth. It was a relatively painless process and I was without my phone for less than a week.

Android phones can read texts out loud anyway: if you put them in hands free mode or use an app such as 'SMS, My Car and Me'. That way they the texts will be read over the PID if it is connected to your phone as Bluetooth audio.

• Like 1

Greenstripe, I meant it won't read texts on the PID at all, even occasionally

It does read texts when using the phone normally

Apologies that I worded it as though it won't read any texts 

Good thinking with the App suggestion and bluetooth :thumbup:

• Like 1

Ah, I understand now.

That app is brilliant -you do have to pay for it but you have the option of a full refund if you don't like it. I've been using it for about 3 years now and one good thing is that you can set it to automatically activate when connected to a particular Bluetooth device such as a hands free kit and then deactivate once disconnected, you just set it up and forget about it.

Well, just spent 2 hours trying to get it to read texts through the PID, and no joy!

That app will read my texts out loud when its not connected, but as soon as its paired… nothing!

Seriously peeved with it :(

Yes fella, had it connected to both

whenever I received a text it was just silent though.

I could actually call out through the PID for a change, but just not hear the texts.

Like I said, when its not paired, if I select always read texts out in the App settings, it works, just not when connected 

Quick test: what happens if you play some music from your phone while connected to the PID -does it come out of the car speakers?

Also, do you have a friend who could test the PID with their phone so that you can test out whether the problem is with the phone or the PID.

On your phone (not the app) -is it connected to the PID with both options checked -Call audio AND Media audio in Settings -Bluetooth 

Thanks for this, just realised this is the reason I never hear it ringing, out or inbound.  Cheers!

Nipped out tonight to collect some takeaway and Mrs marky texted me and the text came through on the PID.

This has never happened before and apparently the only Android phones to work this way will need to run 4.4 and mine is running 4.3. (Sony xperia T).

Does anyone else's PID read their texts?

Sony are generally good with Bluetooth support for their phones. You are correct in that Android 4.4 Kit Kat now contains support for the MAP (Message Access Profile) Bluetooth profile.

Although Sony's official listing for the Xperia T doesn't say it supports MAP the listing for the SP, which is very similar to the T, does.

If - and that's a big if - your phone gets updated to Kit Kat and you previously did not have MAP it should work now. For Nexus 4 owners for example so malcster it should be working on your wifes and your phone. My SO has a Nexus 5 and in her car (Merc SLK) she can read texts on the screen fine - haven't tried it on the Citigo yet.

Some phones, such as the HTC One, already had MAP support before the Kit Kat update even. As for Damo, so did the S3 however their was known to be buggy Bluetooth software released and Samsung promised an update but that will probably not come.

• 9 months later...

Sony are generally good with Bluetooth support for their phones. You are correct in that Android 4.4 Kit Kat now contains support for the MAP (Message Access Profile) Bluetooth profile.

Although Sony's official listing for the Xperia T doesn't say it supports MAP the listing for the SP, which is very similar to the T, does.

If - and that's a big if - your phone gets updated to Kit Kat and you previously did not have MAP it should work now. For Nexus 4 owners for example so malcster it should be working on your wifes and your phone. My SO has a Nexus 5 and in her car (Merc SLK) she can read texts on the screen fine - haven't tried it on the Citigo yet.

Some phones, such as the HTC One, already had MAP support before the Kit Kat update even. As for Damo, so did the S3 however their was known to be buggy Bluetooth software released and Samsung promised an update but that will probably not come.

Can anyone tell me if Nexus 5 works with pid now? Sounds like it should but just wondered if anyone had tested it now and can say one way or other? Cheers

Got new Elegance with Garmin PID. Wife phoned me today to tell me my text message had just been delivered and read out to her. Old Navigon unit never did this !! Her phone is HTC One Mini

My iPhone 5S does it as well. You just need to enable the feature on the phone (Settings --> Bluetooth --> "Paired Device" --> Read text messages).

The wife's new one did it from day one, got me thinking so I plugged mine into the laptop and it ended up doing 3 software updates!

After this I've not only got texts but far faster connection and updated media stuff.

Has everyone updated their units?