Best headlight bulbs ?

Hi i have just bought a 2009 Limited edition octavia vRS no.339.  my previous car had xenons and as this doesnt i would like some decent headlight bulbs that have a blue/white colour. I have had phillips bulbs before but they just looked yellow..

Take it the bulbs are H7 's and 501 leds for sidelights ? 

I had phillips and as you said they were yellow. They also only lasted around 6 months of use. So I have changed to Orsam Nightbreaker Unlimited. They are a much whiter light and do seem to project further than the phillips. 

Whiter/Blue bulbs will never project more light onto the road than the best ones, as by nature, they filter a lot of light out to achieve their colour temperature.

I'm running some Ring Xenon Ultima 120%, which are about as good as it gets for sensibly priced road legal filament bulbs. They are slightly yellow, though.

I'm guessing the likes of PIAA may do better bulbs, but for significantly more money.

For a whiter (but not brighter) light, Nightbreakers, Diamond or Blue Vision might be up your street. Check out the Philips and Osram range

Edited by Fr0d

I think so. I just go on Euro Car parts (enter your number plate and they will come up) and luckily for me at the time mine failed The Osram's were 1/2 price.  the sidelights I use are the MTEC 501 white. Again better than the standard yellow bulbs and no error lights on the dash, which you get with LED'S. 

you dont get error lights if you buy the correct led's i.e ones with resistors fitted from places like myliteco on ebay.

If you dont want a yellow light, as above you will loose output as the blue covering cuts out part of the spectrum.

I rate the Ring 120% very highly as a halogen bulb too. The diamond vision is so blue you cant drive at night with it (i tried in its H4 guise).

Yeah as I said, for £10 the cobalt II are immense. They project further than the originals and project a whiter colour on the road. They also seem to make road signs 'pop' a lot further away than the originals did.

I'm happy as a pig in **** with them to be quite frank.

Osram Night Breaker Plus for me. I use LED side lights. I also put 55w night breakers in the fogs. I had to modify a set of H8 because the H11 are only available in 35w (or it might be the other way around)

Another vote for Ossy Nightbreakers here - got them off Amazon whilst reduced after an earlier similar thread on here, never known a bulb change to make such a difference. Really bright and clear.

Ive never rated the normal nightbreakers either. The current nightbreaker plus seems good but not used them

You will find people selling the old nightbreaker as the latest model so be careful what you buy

i had the Osram Nightbreakers in mine but they kept blowing, have switched to the Phillips Xtreme Vision and so far so good. a little yellow in colour but i don't feel the need to use my main beams half as much any more.

I used to buy updated bulbs for my old mk1 Leon but found out the higher the output the shorter the lifespan,I just live with the standard bulbs in the octy, though I'd consider up grading if I could get something that would last a couple of winters at least...