New tech and engines for Fabia3.

VW announced details of the facelifted Polo today with new infotainment systems and engines:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2014-volkswagen-polo-revealed/1228765

Expect most or all of this to feature on the Fabia 3 due out at the end of the year.

All sounds good, but a bit disappointed VW have snaffled these up for a mere facelift before the Fabia comes out. Guess they didn't want little brother to have one up on them!

The NA 1.0s are from the Up/Citigo/Mii.

• Like 1

VW are only doing a Face Lift on a car already Type Approved  & Euro 5 Technology.

A tart up to extend its sales.

They are not a light car, but if this is the Euro 6 emission engines being fitted now, thats nice,

and the next New Model/Generation Models to be Type Approved will be considerably lighter.

If the New MK3 Maybia is Type Approved this year it is still going to be a car that needs to have a 7 year Production run,

so maybe there will be some with Euro 5 engines in the first models,

but only If they do introduce it in 2014, but if in 2015 it will have to be Euro 6 from the off,

we will see if it is some of these engines that are going in the Face Lift Polo.

so possibly they will all be Euro 6 Emission engines from the off late 2014 to take the car up to 2020 +,

and the real problem Euro 7 emission introduction.

george

• Like 1

I can only imagine how hideous a 1.0L 59bhp polo would be to drive......

Have to agree. They could get away with it years ago in the basic polos as they weighed nothing but I bet the new one will be tipping the scales at well over a tonne.

Phil

• Like 2

Is there not a Typo and that should be 69 bhp not 59,  i would hope so.

You got Original Minis that nipped along with 55 bhp.

Different weight of car though.

VW UK have a dedicated customer base in the UK that will replace their cars every 3 years or sooner, and will be right in ordering the latest offerings,

and let the Salesperson spec it for them, or follow their suggestion on which one to buy.

They will buy what ever VW sell because 'If only everything in life was as reliable.'

george

Thanks.

looking forward to see what exactly they do go on to offer and sell.

Currently from a quick google it shows Citigo's showing 940 or 929 kg unladen.

Current VW Polo 1.2 60ps engine cars at 1067 kg unladen.

I take it that obviously drops due to how much lighter the new engine will be.

How much lighter are the engines, anyone know?

So the 1.2 89 and 108 will be the tsi engine? Must be changing the mapping or something?

i thought they would do away with my littoe 1.2 htp engine. Shame really, its not fast, but its a well proven engine i thought. Been around a fair while

Have to agree. They could get away with it years ago in the basic polos as they weighed nothing but I bet the new one will be tipping the scales at well over a tonne.

Phil

Why?

The current base 1.2L polo is just over 1 metric tonne at 1067KG.

If you look at the previous and current A3, there is a couple of hundred KG saved between them due to changes in body construction and aluminium panels.

So if they're shrinking the engine slightly and using a lighter gearbox, then that could see it around the 1 metric tonne.

Now with Audi and VW being the premium brands, I'd be using aluminium panels on them, for lower weight and so better fuel economy/emissions/lower tax as a brand selling point.

Of course you could buy a skoda or seat sir, but this VW will save you money on fuel and tax over them as we made it lighter by using aluminium and you've got the brand too....

There isnt that much between the 12v 1.2 and the 75 1.0.

12.5lb ft of torque to be exact (claims to be at the same place in the rev range - 3000rpm).

So i dont see what everybodys on about? You wouldnt have to save much weight to make up for that, would you?

Skoda chief Winfred Vahland said that the new Fabia will be the first VAG company's super mini to utilise the NVQ platform (Skoda’s moniker for the MQB platform). The Fabia will be longer by 50mm but still ducks under the four metre mark. He also added that they don’t want the current Fabia buyers to be estranged but the next generation car will appeal to a young car-buying audience and is expected to carry styling cues from the S2000 rally car.

If the new fabia is on the new MQB platform (shortened version) then the engines will be either the EA211 petrol series or the EA288 diesels. None of the current fabia engines are compatible with that platform.

The car will debut at the Paris motor show in October and will launch in 2015.

Edited by xman

Why?

The current base 1.2L polo is just over 1 metric tonne at 1067KG.

If you look at the previous and current A3, there is a couple of hundred KG saved between them due to changes in body construction and aluminium panels.

So if they're shrinking the engine slightly and using a lighter gearbox, then that could see it around the 1 metric tonne.

Now with Audi and VW being the premium brands, I'd be using aluminium panels on them, for lower weight and so better fuel economy/emissions/lower tax as a brand selling point.

Of course you could buy a skoda or seat sir, but this VW will save you money on fuel and tax over them as we made it lighter by using aluminium and you've got the brand too....

True.

I guess technology has moved on and even though engines seem to be getting smaller they are also lighter and deliver their power in a more useable manner too.

I guess there will always be a market for a small/medium sized car with a small engine in for those who like to potter to the shops and not bothered about speed etc.

Phil

I wonder if anyone pointed out to 'The Doctor' what a 'NVQ' is in the UK.  It is a Quite appropriate Code from Skoda.

Just about the height of the standard of training the Skoda UK Technicians attain.

Thats if they get past the First Level.

India, not Europe, but you often get more of a story from there first.

http://cartoq.com/surprise-2015-skoda-fabia-to-use-mqb-platform

http://whichcars.in/new-gen-skoda-fabia-to-come-on-mqb-platform

Why do VW never mention how few Polo GTI 1.4 TSI they have sold, how bad a seller it was in the UK,

Under 1,200, & how few they sold in 2013, Under 200.

& how the British Public never took to it, 

Selling less than half of the Fabia vRS, its Sister car with the same mechanics that undercut it in price by several thousand Quid.

But how they think they will have more success with sales of a more powerful and more expensive model with Suspension Options.?

They might think by 2015 there will be a whole new set of customers that will forget how the treated customers that bought the 2011-2014 Polo GTI 1.4 TSI , that had many ones with Faulty Engines and that these are still kicking about, 

one of the worst Depreciating Volkswagens ever bought by customers.

I wonder if anyone pointed out to 'The Doctor' what a 'NVQ' is in the UK.  It is a Quite appropriate Code from Skoda.

Just about the height of the standard of training the Skoda UK Technicians attain.

Thats if they get past the First Level.

India, not Europe, but you often get more of a story from there first.

http://cartoq.com/surprise-2015-skoda-fabia-to-use-mqb-platform

http://whichcars.in/new-gen-skoda-fabia-to-come-on-mqb-platform

Why do VW never mention how few Polo GTI 1.4 TSI they have sold, how bad a seller it was in the UK,

Under 1,200, & how few they sold in 2013, Under 200.

& how the British Public never took to it, 

Selling less than half of the Fabia vRS, its Sister car with the same mechanics that undercut it in price by several thousand Quid.

But how they think they will have more success with sales of a more powerful and more expensive model with Suspension Options.?

They might think by 2015 there will be a whole new set of customers that will forget how the treated customers that bought the 2011-2014 Polo GTI 1.4 TSI , that had many ones with Faulty Engines and that these are still kicking about, 

one of the worst Depreciating Volkswagens ever bought by customers.

This is what I don't understand from VW/Skoda...mixed messages.  We know the Skoda variant has sold more, but it's the only one getting killed off?  Surely they'd be better killing off the Ibiza or the A1 varients and keep the better sellling skoda and own brand VW? 

It is not getting killed off, the MK2 is stopping production at some point, yet to be announced.

They say they are not to use the name vRS.

They only started selling the CTHE engine 2013 Facelift Cupra 12 months ago, and in 2013-14 they sold the same amount each Quarter as the VW Polo GTI did.

Half the amount of the vRS sold in 2013.

Well actually with the SEAT Ibiza, mostly they Registered them as Dealers Demonstrators, and sold hardly any.

The amount of A1 185ps that get Registered in the UK or actually sold to customers is the usual Audi Smoke and Mirrors.

I look forward to these Very Hot Small Hatch Volkswagens & Audi coming to the UK, 

but wonder where VAG think their customers for them are coming from.

Seems like some AWD Homologation Cars being build for their Motorsport Participation,

or maybe One Make Race Series.

george

It is not getting killed off, the MK2 is stopping production at some point, yet to be announced.

I expect it will be like the changeover to the Octavia III was.

Production of the Mk2 Fabia ceases when the scheduled summer break is - I think thats around July-August. The lines will be rejigged juring the (possibly extended) shutdown period and when the new model year commences end of August, the lines will slowly start spitting out the new model. UK showroom models can therefore be expected late January or February 2015.

I expect it will be like the changeover to the Octavia III was.

Production of the Mk2 Fabia ceases when the scheduled summer break is - I think thats around July-August. The lines will be rejigged juring the (possibly extended) shutdown period and when the new model year commences end of August, the lines will slowly start spitting out the new model. UK showroom models can therefore be expected late January or February 2015.

Yes, Fabia3 production starts week thirty something.

They build them because someone wants a "baby" GTI.  I don't suppose it matters if they sell 5, They're on the order book, a customer could ask for one.  Maybe they're downsizing, or maybe they want a Golf, but can't afford it, can't justify size etc or are downsizing.

There will always be people that want the absolute top model of anything, even if they only need the L model.  Aston Martin Cygnet for £45k or a Toyota Aygo for £9k?  People will buy the Aston because they have a spare £45k kicking about (or want others to think they do).

Why would someone buy a Polo GTI and not a Fabia VRS or Ibiza Cupra?  I don't know.  If I was in the theroetical market for any of those cars I would probably look to the next size up.