light out on the speedo?

ok, spoke to my local Skoda dealer. They have done an official quote @ £1247 incVAT and fitting to replace it. I have relayed this to the garage I bought the car from and they have refused to pay saying they only make X amount on the sale of each car and it isn't possible for them to have outlay like that.

They have however offered to source a 2nd hard part (I'm assuming scrappy or something) and install that, however Skoda have informed me that the data such as mileage is non-transferable and the new unit would show the mileage of the car it was taken from as you cannot change it. I'm concerned what effect this may have on re-sale value, etc.

The local Skoda dealer say they will fit the 2nd hand unit and sign off that a mileage change has been (labour costs apply ofc, but that's reasonable) made.

I welcome thoughts on this, as I'm not entirely sure what I plan to do on this.

I personally think the dealer is spinning you a bit of a yarn by say "data such as mileage is non-transferable and the new unit would show the mileage of the car it was taken from" It is my understanding from someone who knows a bit of an unscrupulous dealer that the milage of a car is not stored on the clocks memory but deep in the CPU's, this stops such characters just simply swapping a clock unit to alter the milage of a car, when a new or used clock unit is connected and powered up it uploads the milage data from where it is stored and shows the milage of that particular vehicle! He knows this because it has caught him out! It is my understanding also that it is stored in more than one place as car have multiple CPU's and to be honest when you think about it it makes perfect sense in this day and age that this is how these things are designed to work to stop such easy clocking of cars. I'd go back to your dealer and just querry him about what he has told you and ask him how does what he telling you stop illegal clocking and surely they should be trying to prevent it and see what he says!

Just had a quick look on the net and the information I can find says the milage on a VW is backed up on the ECU, I can only imagine this would be the same for Skoda

Edited by yesman

With my Yeti getting a brand new set of clocks, I asked if it would come back to me with zero miles and it was made clear that it would come back with exactly the same mileage that it went in with.

• Like 1

How did you purchase the car?  Credit Card, Finance, Cash?

If it's part paid on Credit Card or on Finance, you can request the Credit Card company or Finance company fight the battle for you - it's their car after all.

If you paid in cash, cheque, then you still have rights under the sale of goods act, I'd seek legal advice if this is the case.

I bought a Laguna on finance and didn't get it serviced until 1 year, I took it to Renault who said it had been in a rear end shunt and needed over 3K worth of work doing.  If I had taken it when I bought it, the finance company would be liable and would have to pay it.

Got it booked in here on Wednesday for a while I wait repair I'll post back with results... plus its only 15mins ish from my house!

http://www.cartronix.co.uk/Pages/Performance_Tuning.aspx

Hi guys, took it in today. They have a nice little office and the staff were really helpful. 1 hour and they were done - everything works perfectly now. £80 and they give 2 years warranty on the work.

I would recommend them.

Cheers

• Like 2

Good news, any joy on getting that £80 back out of the supplying dealer?

He should considering all the work you have put and money saved but whether he will.

Moogle, I have exactly the same problem on my Octy vRS 2010, which I have had from new - see Octy 2 Forum for my thread.

Same as you, started at £1000. Skoda UK have said they would pay 60% of this, leaving me with £400. This offer was via the dealer. I am supposed to be taking the car in on Saturday to have an 'official' diagnosis which will cost over £50.

I plan to speak to Skoda UK tomorrow to see if they will fund the entire repair. If not, I will probably end up not visiting the dealer on Saturday but instead spending £80 in Hampshire!

The power of the net and of Briskoda!

I'm glad you got your car sorted!

Cheers,

Dunc

• Like 1

Moogle, I have exactly the same problem on my Octy vRS 2010, which I have had from new - see Octy 2 Forum for my thread.

Same as you, started at £1000. Skoda UK have said they would pay 60% of this, leaving me with £400. This offer was via the dealer. I am supposed to be taking the car in on Saturday to have an 'official' diagnosis which will cost over £50.

I plan to speak to Skoda UK tomorrow to see if they will fund the entire repair. If not, I will probably end up not visiting the dealer on Saturday but instead spending £80 in Hampshire!

The power of the net and of Briskoda!

I'm glad you got your car sorted!

Cheers,

Dunc

Glad to help. I would definitely use they again and they do other things like remaps and such as well.

Hope you get it fixed ok. £1000 from the dealer made me annoyed with them...

Mobile, did you take the cluster to them? Spoke to Cartronix just now. They said £80 fix plus £40 to take out and refit the cluster?

So £120 all in?

Thanks Moogle - that's exactly what they have quoted me.  Feel better now, as was under the (false) impression that they had done yours for £80 all-in.

Will get it booked in as soon as I can arrange to pass through Waterlooville on my travels.

Appreciate your help buddy.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Moogle, mine is now fixed. See my thread 'Speedo needle bulb / LED blown' in Octy 2.

Cheers and thanks again.

Dunc