The only car that will tempt me out of a Yeti

I really like this Scout, and in a year or two I might have a drive and a look at one.... It looks good. It also has lots more space, more powerful engine with lower CO2.... Just a few of those things that the Yeti lacks.....  BUT somehow my pre-FL (original, classic, organic) Yeti still seems that extra little bit special even after nearly 2 years and it's still a right hoot to drive. Let us see what happens in a few years.....  The Hyundai Santa Fe maybe or I might just consider a Yet II  :sun:

As for the Audi/BMW* options, not really much use to me as I tend to use my indicators in advance of a change in direction and I don't wear blinkers (I have dash cam proof, maybe the indicators just don't work or were an expensive option   :angel: ).

* The BMW/Audi owners interviewed declined to comment more than two words, the latter usually 'off' sometimes followed by a verb to describe a 'manage e un'.**

** The later part of this post is intended for humour only and is a work of fiction with no stereotype or malice intended to those who drive BMW/Audi vehicles.***

*** Yes I'm now in the corner.

• Like 2

Llanigraham ,the 1150 bhp is the figure quoted by auto express of the R version gtr engined running on ethanol ,you might have guessed this if you looked at ALL the figures! Oh and a £275.000 price tag.

Llanigraham ,the 1150 bhp is the figure quoted by auto express of the R version gtr engined running on ethanol ,you might have guessed this if you looked at ALL the figures! Oh and a £275.000 price tag.

Gosh!! I bet they are going to sell lots of them..........................not!

• Like 1

Gosh!! I bet they are going to sell lots of them..........................not!

It's a one off car built by a company called Severn Valley Motorsport choping up a Quashqui and a GT-R and welding them together.

If you see the way they act on the GTR forum you probably wouldn't buy anything off them anyway.

Looks OK, but highly tuned and you'd need £50,000 in reserve in case sonething broke.

I'd be quite happy with a 2.0 petrol Yeti, but it's all academic as I just can't take to the soft Yeti shape with the angular Octy nose grafted on.

They can stick any engine they like in, I'm not buying one.

And lets face it, it never going to get a real road burner of an engine as VAG are pulling the strings.

• Like 2

Might have lost the thread here but Nissan do not make a Qashqai with 4wd and an auto gearbox.

Tony

Where was that requirement stated?! The new Qashqai was probably my surprise drive of the year. The interior is much nicer and it was pretty refined - more so than the current Yeti tbh. :)

It's a good car, but you have to start questioning when Skoda are heading over £30,000 and still don't have options that other VAGs do, like adaptive cruise control (only on L&K I think), ventillated seats etc...

But you're allowed ventilated seats on the Superb; why not on the Yeti or Octavia?

But you're allowed ventilated seats on the Superb; why not on the Yeti or Octavia?

because the Superb is their flagship model? Can you actually specify ventilated seats on the Golf or Leon? I'm not sure you can.

I don't think it's actually offered on any c segment vehicle off the top of my head. The Focus doesn't, the Mondeo does. The Golf doesn't, the Passat does etc etc but I agree, I'd love it to be available on the Scout etc. :)

I don't think it's actually offered on any c segment vehicle off the top of my head. The Focus doesn't, the Mondeo does. The Golf doesn't, the Passat does etc etc but I agree, I'd love it to be available on the Scout etc. :)

Alas Škoda seems to think the Scout is a mid trim level instead of something equal to or higher than the Elegance spec. So as I said earlier it has a semi decent spec now vs the previous Scout, but it is still just SE spec plus a few things. When it should have been Elegance spec plus a few things in my view. Ventilated seats really don't bother me I have to say...  but the availability of folding mirrors and adaptive cruise does.

• Like 1

Iain go read every single SQ5 review and you will read about a mediocre car par excellence...  Add ferocious depreciation and "I'm a drug dealer" looks and it is one sure way to lose money and street cred (on Briskoda anyway!) fast. Nah a £32,000 Škoda is a far better way to waste money and not shout about it.

Don't disagree that the SQ5 is mediocre (perhaps apart from straight line speed), but I was surprised to learn that they account for 12% of all Q5 models sold.

I think the lease deals make up most of the 'sales' at the SQ5 price point.

The cheapest I found for a 2 year lease is £7,424 p.a.

Like for like the cheapest 170ps L&K dsg I found is £4,092 p.a.

Seems about right for me. 2 year, 10,000 miles, inc vat

Speaking of Golf R earlier in the thread. A dsg one of those can be had for £4,489 p.a. That has to be less than the depreciation on one of these?

I think the lease deals make up most of the 'sales' at the SQ5 price point.

The cheapest I found for a 2 year lease is £7,424 p.a.

Like for like the cheapest 170ps L&K dsg I found is £4,092 p.a.

Seems about right for me. 2 year, 10,000 miles, inc vat

Speaking of Golf R earlier in the thread. A dsg one of those can be had for £4,489 p.a. That has to be less than the depreciation on one of these?

Yes, there are some cars with amazing lease deals.

Presumably because someone had a target to reach.

Some of the Golf R deals seems very good to me, if I didn't already have a decent car I'd have already ordered one...

• 2 weeks later...

Now on the UK configurator.

Interesting ... very interesting, though quite expensive!

I think one is better off on Drivethedeal with a tasty 320d Touring xDrive (all wheel drive) or an Audi A4 Allroad (as discussed at length on here before).  Škoda are really having a laugh with their prices at present.

I just tried DtD for a 335d Xdrive with a "sensible" smattering of options - £36k!

Now I know it's not entirely fair to compare that with the Skoda list price, but £4k more for another two cylinders, 120bhp more... that's awfully tempting. Almost enough to make me consider owning and driving a BMW... almost.

Prompted by your comment, J, (and out of nothing more than curiosity) I just went to DtD and clicked on BMW.  Initially, as you'll be well aware, you're confronted by a very long list of models....but having gone to the 3 series...goodness...what a vast choice!!

BUT!  then you have to negotiate the options list!!

Utterly bewildering!

• Like 1

And look at the new Mercedes C-class:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz/c-class

Lovely car this now...

And look at the spec upgrade cost:

"Upgrading from SE to Sport costs £1995 but adds sat-nav, heated seats, LED headlights, sports seats, active park assist and a wheel upgrade."

Just £2,000 gets you all that on top of an already good basic spec, yet on a humble Škoda all you get for that sort of money is a Columbus.  Hmmm.  Makes an Octy look oven MORE expensive for what it is now.

Nope I'm sorry to say but it looks unlikely I'll buy another Škoda at the silly prices they ask now, when the "premium" guys are now so competitive with their prices AND specification. You don't have to tick a lot of options these days to get a decently spec "standard" 3-series, A4 or C-class. With far better resale values to boot - albeit you will be driving a car as common as grass. Which is about the only place these days a Škoda counts for something - they are at least a tiny bit scarcer. 
  • Like 1

Oldstan,that brings back memories I had the Anglia 1200 side valve,3 speed ,with the vacuum wiper that slowed down up hills until you changed down then they came to life ,happy days.

Oldstan,that brings back memories I had the Anglia 1200 side valve,3 speed ,with the vacuum wiper that slowed down up hills until you changed down then they came to life ,happy days.

I'd forgotten the vacuum wipers!  I do remember doing a de-coke job on ours, though.  Any of the youngsters here know what that was, and why? Beardy1_zpse5b6813d.gif

• Like 1

http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/anglia.htm

There'll be plenty of over 60 year olds who remember doing a de-coke on a car or bike or one sort or another.  I once, as a 16 year old, spent the entire Christmas period entombed in the shed stripping down a dreadful  BSA C15 (a 250cc single cylinder, 4 stroke bike) .....and, of course, it was obligatory to have the head off and new rings fitted...and new this and new that...and then sell it at a loss  :-(

Afficionados will remember that the Prefect 107E had the unusual combination of the old square 100E shape...but with the new and posh OHV 997cc engine and FOUR!! speed box.  You knew you'd arrived when you could afford one of those bad boys.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1