The only car that will tempt me out of a Yeti

As a current Scout owner I'm not fully understanding the criticism of the Scout's silver bumper trims, they've been like this since the first Scout arrived nearly eight years ago... 

Der-Skoda-Octavia-Scout-bekommt-nun-das-

I still love the chunky looks of the pre-FL, enforced by the silver trims and rectangular cut-outs. Think I'l be keeping mine until it dies now!

imgSkoda%20Scout1.jpg

Is it just me or have the silver trims changed since we saw the first official Skoda media shots?

Then...

Now...

Different fog lights too?

Interesting. The silver bit out front is definitely MUCH smaller. With slightly different fog lamps too. I wonder why?

I wonder if the UK version of the Scout is different?

Bill Blake here in the UK already took delivery of his Scout back on the26th September so we already know we are getting the 'chunkier' silver inserts...

Scout2_zps2f3cd6c8.png

Scout1_zps6120739c.png

I wonder if the UK version of the Scout is different?

Bill Blake here in the UK already took delivery of his Scout back on the26th September so we already know we are getting the 'chunkier' silver inserts...

Ah...  those (thankfully) don't look like the slim silver bits on the red one above. I prefer these chunkier ones.

One thing that I don't like about the Scout though is how, at the back, the silver bit lines up with the rear lights, but they didn't do anything to the red reflectors in the lower bumper. These line up with nothing and they are NOT the standard Estate ones either - those taper down towards the inside of the car.  So the square ones that line up with nothing are Scout specific! 

The red one also loses out on the grey rubbing strips along the doors too, and the silver wing mirror caps.

The way the grey molding doesn't have a break in it where it rises up from the sill over the rear wheel makes me wonder if the red car is an Auto Express-type Photoshop of the current non-Scout estate?

But then it can't be if these images are genuine...

Scout_Alltrack.jpg

The red one also loses out on the grey rubbing strips along the doors too, and the silver wing mirror caps.

The way the grey molding doesn't have a break in it where it rises up from the sill over the rear wheel makes me wonder if the red car is an Auto Express-type Photoshop of the current non-Scout estate?

But then it can't be if these images are genuine...

The plot thickens..........  Though with a REAL UK car pictured there I imagine the actual delivered cars will look like that one.  Maybe. Possibly.  (SUK is involved, so you never really know).

Can I have the chunky front silver trim from the UK delivered Scout and the rear trim from the Golf/Octavia shot?

I agree with the criticism around the rear silver trim on the UK delivered car, a little too much!

Saw my first Octy Scout on the road this morning. Now I have seen the Scout at the Geneva motor show of course, but in isolation you never get a true impression of a car like you do when it is between other cars.  First thing it was very bland and boring looking - OK it was a dull, awful dark grey metallic. But what struck me most was how low it was compared to the old Scout. The old Scout had some real road presence and somehow (or perhaps actually?) sat much higher on its wheels. Nah, I was really disappointed with it and even more so with the mindless acres of silver on the back bumper not lining up with anything. I know the taxi joke is running thin, but I have NEVER thought of the previous Scout as ever looking like a taxi. But this Scout? Nah...  looks like a taxi alas. And also NOT a £35,000 taxi either.

I think Škoda might soon find most punters walking through the door to test a Scout will just laugh at the price and atrocious value for money this car is, walk next door to Audi and buy an A4 Allroad or a "real" German car of some description. The German cars in this price range don't have the miserly spec they used to, so this SE based Scout is seriously bad value for money. Especially come resale time when all those thousands of pounds worth of options you had to add (to make it a decent car) is worth far less then when you ticked the boxes. A fully loaded L&K will ALWAYS have better resale value than an SE with tons of options. As would any German car that you paid £35,000 for. Nope Škoda you've shot yourself in the foot here. As the title of this thread indicates, I seriously liked this car and it WAS the only car that would tempt me out of a Yeti. I can live with the looks - I still think it looks smart - but only if it was at the very least Elegance spec based or better still L&K spec based and then cost no more than £30,000. As it stands this car is definite no from me. 

It was the Scout's chunky looks that first attracted me to it almost 5 years ago now...

IMG_12975.jpg

I paid £14K for it at one year old with 8,000 miles off a Skoda main dealer. I appreciate that was 5 years ago but at £35K for a new one? No chance.

The new one just doesn't seem to have the same presence on the road, shame.

Skoda, I wish you every success with the MkIII Scout but you are now well out of my price range I'm afraid.

Saw my first Octy Scout on the road this morning. Now I have seen the Scout at the Geneva motor show of course, but in isolation you never get a true impression of a car like you do when it is between other cars.  First thing it was very bland and boring looking - OK it was a dull, awful dark grey metallic. But what struck me most was how low it was compared to the old Scout. The old Scout had some real road presence and somehow (or perhaps actually?) sat much higher on its wheels. Nah, I was really disappointed with it and even more so with the mindless acres of silver on the back bumper not lining up with anything. I know the taxi joke is running thin, but I have NEVER thought of the previous Scout as ever looking like a taxi. But this Scout? Nah...  looks like a taxi alas. And also NOT a £35,000 taxi either.

I think Škoda might soon find most punters walking through the door to test a Scout will just laugh at the price and atrocious value for money this car is, walk next door to Audi and buy an A4 Allroad or a "real" German car of some description. The German cars in this price range don't have the miserly spec they used to, so this SE based Scout is seriously bad value for money. Especially come resale time when all those thousands of pounds worth of options you had to add (to make it a decent car) is worth far less then when you ticked the boxes. A fully loaded L&K will ALWAYS have better resale value than an SE with tons of options. As would any German car that you paid £35,000 for. Nope Škoda you've shot yourself in the foot here. As the title of this thread indicates, I seriously liked this car and it WAS the only car that would tempt me out of a Yeti. I can live with the looks - I still think it looks smart - but only if it was at the very least Elegance spec based or better still L&K spec based and then cost no more than £30,000. As it stands this car is definite no from me. 

Johann, the Golf Alltrack might be the better option in that case  :giggle:

I've just taken the GLA off my list. The standard version has the gear change on a stalk off the steering wheel, and the handbrake under the right hand side of the dash - both ridiculous places. The AMG version is too noisy, has seats that only a racing whippet could fit in (and I'm a very long way from being fat!) and the worst handbrake system I've ever encountered. They moved the gear level and handbrake button to the centre console where they should be, but the handbrake works in a completely ludicrous manner.  Turning it on is easy enough, just stop and prod the "P" button. Trying to move off again is ridiculous though - some combination of standing on the foot brake and wiggling the gear lever and pressing "P" again eventually works.

So... Skoda UK have overpriced the Scout, oversized the Octavia range in general and restricted our Yeti options while inflating the price. The Porsche Macan is perfect apart from being nearly £50k with the same kit that's standard on the Yeti. The local VW and Audi dealers don't employ any staff who want to talk to customers.

Probably lucky that I just bought a bicycle instead. :D

• Like 2

The local VW and Audi dealers don't employ any staff who want to talk to customers.

Must say that at various Audi dealers, I've found that they seem to have a policy of leaving you well alone (other than the receptionist usually saying hello). If you do want to talk to a salesman then you have to ask, but then IME once someone has been found then they're typically fairly attentive and long-suffering. I've seen it often enough to think that it was some sort of deliberate Audi group policy.

Was all set to buy a Scout but the price really put me off .... for slightly less money I have ordered a Volvo XC60 D5 Auto, which for my purposes at least (hauling 1500Kg of caravan every other weekend and more often during the school hols) is a better car.  My deal was enhanced by a deal for Caravan Club members giving £2k off and free metallic, on top of dealer discounts and other Volvo deals.

Pity as the Scout was very nice to drive.

• Like 2

Wow, an XC60 for less than a Scout? That really puts it into perspective for me then. I have a soft spot for the XC60 and as much as I love our current Scout it isn't a car I'd place equal to or above an XC60.

Was all set to buy a Scout but the price really put me off .... for slightly less money I have ordered a Volvo XC60 D5 Auto,

Hmmm.. weird. Prices here (in Estonia):

"cheapest" Scout (1,8 TSI DSG): 27 700 €, Volvo XC60 (D3 manual): 35 100 € (<and that's FWD !). D5 prices start from 43 900.- ...  :peek:

Edited by Hirundo

Was all set to buy a Scout but the price really put me off .... for slightly less money I have ordered a Volvo XC60 D5 Auto, which for my purposes at least (hauling 1500Kg of caravan every other weekend and more often during the school hols) is a better car. My deal was enhanced by a deal for Caravan Club members giving £2k off and free metallic, on top of dealer discounts and other Volvo deals.

Pity as the Scout was very nice to drive.

Congrats Iain. You made a good choice.

And that is exactly what I said before. The punters will come look at the Scout, love it, then spec it up with options and realise Whoaaaa. Let's go shop around. Which you did and you got a very good car for less money. Well done. But poor silly stupid Škoda thinking we are all planks and just always blindly shop for a Škoda without looking around...

• Like 2

The shock for me was realising that I could get a Jaguar XE with a decent spec for only £4k more than the Scout with the bits I wanted. I'm well aware, of course, that they're very different things, but an XE with a set of winter wheels would probably do me fine now - I'm not venturing onto fire roads or having to cross rubble-strewn building sites any more. The Jag would be faster, less thirsty and, I am confident from my experiences of the XF, lovely to be in.