London to Edinburgh and back on my Sport

saurabhdutt

I did not think that this is going to be possible on a 1.0 litre engine in the worse weather conditions like Rain, storms, winds, snow, surface spray.

We started from london at 8 in the morning and the car was doing well on the motorway. It battled through the rain and winds. Everything was going well until we hit a bad snow storm around Jedburgh (New Castle). We had a massive snow covered steep hill to cross and the Citigo was on top of the game leaving Audis, BMWs, Range Rovers and all sorts of 4X4s behind. We were just 40 miles away from Edinburgh before we hit a road closure sign because of the snow storm.

We had to turn around and take a detour via M6 and added 4 hours and 160 miles to our already long track.

After 14 hours of driving, two passengers, fully loaded boot we managed to reach Edinburgh.

Cant tell you how comfortable the car was. I am 6'2 and doing 520 miles in my Citigo Sport wasn't an issue. It returned an impressive average of 66.5 MPG (was getting 74 before we hit the snow storm)..

I will keep on posting the updates until we reach back home.

So far the experience has been exceptional and would love to do more of such drives in my Citigo!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Fantastic journey and story. Good to hear that these little cars can do long trips in comfort. My old 107 didn't miss a beat on longer journeys, but it was quite noisy at motorway speeds and had a stiff/jittery ride on 15" alloys.

I have always wanted to do a trip to Loch Ness but thought the 900+ mile round trip in the 107 was taking it too far but will think about doing it in my Mii at some point. 

Well done! I've Harrogate to Portsmouth and back on a weekend. But 520 miles in a go, is good going.

What's it like driving on snow?

Hello mate,

I have an Octavia III which is a brill car however now it just sits in the drive way. I couldn't believe how good the Citigo was going to be on a long stretch especially in snowy conditions. And i am not talking about few little flakes of snow. It struggled on top of the hill at 30% incline however i was the only driver at that point leaving all the 4x4s behind. Did pretty well in 70mph winds too. Didn't feel like a small car at all.

I am still in Edinburgh and leaving for London tomorrow. Hope the drive back is equally pleasant too.

Saurabh

• Like 1

Fantastic journey and story. Good to hear that these little cars can do long trips in comfort. My old 107 didn't miss a beat on longer journeys, but it was quite noisy at motorway speeds and had a stiff/jittery ride on 15" alloys.

I have always wanted to do a trip to Loch Ness but thought the 900+ mile round trip in the 107 was taking it too far but will think about doing it in my Mii at some point.

Do it mate.cant go wrong...

• Like 1

I think well made small machines are often under valued in this bigger is better world.

Last Autumn I rode my (125cc) Suzuki RV125 to Northern Italy for a long weekend in the Alps. It was also about 540 miles and the little engine never missed a beat.

I was definitely the weakest link... :)

• Like 2

I think well made small machines are often under valued in this bigger is better world.

Last Autumn I rode my (125cc) Suzuki RV125 to Northern Italy for a long weekend in the Alps. It was also about 540 miles and the little engine never missed a beat.

I was definitely the weakest link... :)

That is so cool.. I have a Honda CBR 500 and would love to go on a tour...

That is so cool.. I have a Honda CBR 500 and would love to go on a tour...

Ha! If you CAN just do it. I bought a CB500X (to replace my much loved old CB500S) a few months ago.

Now planning to ride it around Spain in June... :)

Ha! If you CAN just do it. I bought a CB500X (to replace my much loved old CB500S) a few months ago.

Now planning to ride it around Spain in June... :)

Nice.. Lovely bikes they are aren't they!!

Slightly better downhill then :giggle:

I dont know.. I always get better mpg when i am going to Scotland then coming back. I was getting 74 mpg on my way to Scotland until i hit the snow storm and had to take a back route.

On my way back to london i only got 67.