So what you been doing to your VRS lately?

Big Lee

• 2 weeks later...

After trying the test wheel in steel grey I actually decided on anthracite in the end and sprayed em up this weekend, and gave the calipers a good Polish.

They looked mostly like this all over...

20160917_154539_zpseejvmvf4.jpg

20160917_154537_zpsdz3ib2fa.jpg

20160917_152934_zpslifd7ow4.jpg

20160918_160610_zpskuwug0gm.jpg

20160918_121119_zpsuyzdlny1.jpg

20160918_190337_zps4vmszryk.jpg

20160918_174833_zpsjatjft4p.jpg

Dead pleased with the results. A satisfying weekends work.

Edited by jonwarr
  • Like 1

Nice. Can you feel a difference?

Unfortunately I don't know as the car is still at the body shop... That's near 4 weeks now! And my befriended mechanic has started his holiday today... I am also curious if the cylinder and booster are a good match to this set, which I am sure will differ in that part on the TT RS.

Jonwarr - what was the process for painting the wheels? Mine are corroded from years of use but have no damage or curbing so thinking a home refurb would suffice.

Just rubbed them down with dry paper to begin. Think we started with 800 grit and finished with 1500 so that you have a surface that will take the paint. Then tack ragged to pick up the dust without getting them wet. Then 2 coats of primer to ensure coverage then we left them over night. Then the next morning 2 coats of colour and 2 lacquer, leaving plenty of time in between.

We didn't start until about 3pm on the Saturday and it was slightly rushed as I had to have them back on by Sunday arvo. I would say leave yourself plenty of time to do it because all sorts can go wrong. Like my step dad rolling a freshly painted wheel and dropping it paint side down on to the concrete so we had to do the whole wheel again!

Also.. we only did 2 coats of colour and lacquer as my step dad did most of the spraying and is expert at it. I would recommend 3 lighter coats if you've not done it before. It's too easy to get heavy with the paint and get drips otherwise.

All in all thought only cost about 50 quid and they look epic.

• 1 year later...

Painted valve cover black and fitted new valve cover gaskets. Link to album of todays work.

Before:

SXqAiS9.jpg?1

After:

AAns1wW.jpg?1

Fl46ISd.jpg?1

Recent jobs done to car:

• New rear left and right  brake hardlines due to one of them snapping off completely.
  • New rear left side caliper (bought from eBay, came painted green and fitted with the handbrake return spring for £78. Also fitted new rear brake discs and pads and performed a complete brake fluid flush.

1hJE5P2.jpg

• New rear left wheel bearing.
  • New Bosch knock sensor ( with copper core. Made a big difference to how the car drives).
  • New Intercooler to throttle body silicone pipe.
  • New 120A Hella alternator (can confirm it's a straight swap and no need to change the the 110A metal fuse in the engine bay fuse box like some people tell you).
  • New Continental serpentine belt.
  • New battery (original VARTA was on the car when I bought it back in 2012 and I believe the previous owner changed it sometime around 2010, so that's some quality).
  • New complete drivers side window regulator (Hans Preis Topran - awesome quality for £25. The breakers here in Sweden want around £100+ for a used part. ****ers...)

Defrosting the important bits first:

FkuK3Os.jpg

I'm looking to sell the car soon but I need to fix the paint on the front fenders and lower sills before since they take away from what's otherwise a really well kept car with almost all parts changed (yeah...). If someone from Sweden is interested then hit me up here on the forum. 

Edited by Sissipaska
New pictures
  • Like 1

On 8-4-2018 at 00:45, Sissipaska said:

Painted valve cover black and fitted new valve cover gaskets. Link to album of todays work.

Before:

SXqAiS9.jpg?1

After:

AAns1wW.jpg?1

Fl46ISd.jpg?1

Recent jobs done to car:

• New rear left and right  brake hardlines due to one of them snapping off completely.
  • New rear left side caliper (bought from eBay, came painted green and fitted with the handbrake return spring for £78. Also fitted new rear brake discs and pads and performed a complete brake fluid flush.

1hJE5P2.jpg

• New rear left wheel bearing.
  • New Bosch knock sensor ( with copper core. Made a big difference to how the car drives).
  • New Intercooler to throttle body silicone pipe.
  • New 120A Hella alternator (can confirm it's a straight swap and no need to change the the 110A metal fuse in the engine bay fuse box like some people tell you).
  • New Continental serpentine belt.
  • New battery (original VARTA was on the car when I bought it back in 2012 and I believe the previous owner changed it sometime around 2010, so that's some quality).
  • New complete drivers side window regulator (Hans Preis Topran - awesome quality for £25. The breakers here in Sweden want around £100+ for a used part. ****ers...)

Defrosting the important bits first:

FkuK3Os.jpg

I'm looking to sell the car soon but I need to fix the paint on the front fenders and lower sills before since they take away from what's otherwise a really well kept car with almost all parts changed (yeah...). If someone from Sweden is interested then hit me up here on the forum. 

You mean the engine runs smoother with the new knock sensor in? What is the benefit of a higher rated alternator?

Yeah the new knock sensor made a big difference in how smooth the car feels under acceleration to before.

The 120A alternator is just a bit quicker in charging the battery and might be beneficial if you run big audio systems or other things that draw much electricity in your car. Otherwise I don't know if it makes such a huge difference. I just wanted it because it was the same price as the original 90A version and is more than enough for the car.

On 15-4-2018 at 16:46, dcstuurman said:

You mean the engine runs smoother with the new knock sensor in? What is the benefit of a higher rated alternator?

Maybe I will try this too, i still lack some smoothness despite changing a ton of things, all helped, but still not perfect. Sometimes it feels like it changes in small steps rather than 100% smooth.