Skoda octavia 1.6 TDI

Also, to further back up my point, on the A1 forum EVERYONE complains about the 1.6 TDI as well (which is the same unit as this thread is about). Most comments are along the lines of 'Slow, and crap MPG, might as well get the 2.0 as it has more power and often better MPG!'.

My post was well constructed drawing conclusions from direct relevant evidence, as well as making it clear I am not just moaning I don't like it because it's slow in comparison to a 300bhp car (because obviously any 1.6TDI is!), it's genuinely underpowered and not as efficient as it should be compared to other 1.6 TDI units out there. If you are buying a VAG derv, get the 2.0 TDI.

Now go back in your hole!

EDIT: I just noticed what you drive. Maybe your post is suggesting you don't want to admit you made a mistake with your purchase... Either that or you are the people I overtake struggling to do 40mph up a minor hill and you're OK with that?

It's not the same engine as the one in the A1, therefore your evidence is not admissible!

I've done 10K miles in mine in 7 weeks now (~ 8.5K of them with a DTUK box on).

The O3 is very light for its size (100 KGs lighter than my GT3 !!) and I think the engines great. It's a little ruff when cold in the mornings and there's not much point revving it above 4K but at 80 on the motorway it'll return almost 60mpg (measured properly) and it's spriteley enough at town speeds (tuning box does make a big difference to overtaking on A roads though). The 5speed manual helps it accelerate well on the motorway without changing gear. I've only driven the DSG on a 2.0.

It's not the same engine as the one in the A1, therefore your evidence is not admissible!

So VAG make 2 different 1.6 TDI engines with 105bhp? Ummmm no! They all use engine code CAYC (Octavia/Yeti/A1 and others), so you can respectfully get back in your hole too :)

Dont relate the 1st gen CR 105, 140 and 170 engines to the new EA288 105, 150 and 184 motors; they are carp by comparison.

Ground up redesigns despite the fact they output similar power and torque to their predecessors.

• Like 1

So VAG make 2 different 1.6 TDI engines with 105bhp? Ummmm no! They all use engine code CAYC (Octavia/Yeti/A1 and others), so you can respectfully get back in your hole too :)

You're very aggressive, and also wrong :)

All MQB diesel engines are brand new EA288 engines which aren't fitted to any other cars.

Details on the engine here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=228886.0

• Like 2

The only hole on here is the one you are digging.

We get it - you don't like the 1.6.

You don't get it - that you are hating the old engine which isn't in the Octavia mk3.

• Like 3

Sorry Jose but how can you attest to hating it when by the sounds of it you've not driven an EA288 powered 1.6?

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt personally have the 1.6 either as the 2.0 150 (whilst excellent) I bought is only just adequate for my "go" needs but its fair to say there is a big difference between not having enough power (105hp isnt enough for alot of people nowadays) and being a crap engine.

• Like 2

Another 300+ bhp, sub 5 second to 60 car owner here...

The octy 3's 1.6 Tdi unit is more than adequate for the weight of the vehicle in day to day use and a good degree better than the previous generation unit. The last one I drove had DSG and when you ragged it (down the slip road for example), it actually had a decent turn of speed. :)

• Like 3

I have a 1.6 TDI and its more than enough for me. I am 30, a photographer and an ex formula 2 racer, I mentioned my profession and age to show any misconceptions some people might have "doing 20 mph under speed limit". I save a lot on the company car tax, road tax (ok only £20 anually) and get few more miles out as compared to a 2.0 engine. I totally agree 2.0 is a much better engine however 1.6 is perfect and more than adequate for my needs and I do travel alot on motrrways especially atleast twice a month from London to Edinburgh for work and my car has never missed a beat.

I also have a 2014 Honda1000RR Fireblade which will eat any 300+ bhp car alive. So when I need speed rush I know which key to pickup.

Today is "Sunday", let me get my Fireblade out....

• Like 3

A 0-62mph time of 10.4sec (Car magazine test result) is some indicator of the overall expected performance to me and peak torque of 184lb/ft that spreads itself between 1500 and 2750rpm should give a decent drive in a car weighting just 1200kg. Personally, any car that offers the combination of a 10.4 seconds to 60 time, 121mph top end, 74.3mpg & 99g/km CO2 emissions is looking good for a spacious all round family car in my book. The mini isn't even worth the comparison IMO as its not even in the same segment and space is laughable but even the neighbours 2wd 1.6d countryman is tight on space and that weights almost 1400kg and has its peak torque spread over far less of the rev range (1750-2250rpm). He also struggles to get it into the 50's mpg wise, usually achieving mid 40's at best!

• Like 4

It's not about 0-60, it's about available torque band/curve for given revs.

The mini has 159 lbft from 1750-2500, the O3 has 184lbft from 1500-2500.

My view is probably a little skewed due to the tuning box giving an extra 50lbft but the car constantly wants to pull along happily at less than 1500rpm

I bet Alykebaby is glad she asked!

It's a difficult one unless you have a demo over a weekend and do all the things you want the car to do. If after that you are more than satisfied with the performance then go for it!

• Like 2

The Yeti/Octavia have the same engine and weigh similar amounts - the thread is about the engine so the car it's in is irrelevant.

My comparison with the Mini is making the point that other manufacturers have MUCH better 1.6 TDI engines. My point on 300bhp cars was that I was happy with the torquey 90bhp BMW unit despite my usual high power preference, it got you from A to B without any worries, whereas the VAG 1.6 TDI engine is a lemon.

Even my Wife who is absolutely not someone who cares about going fast, complains bitterly about the Yeti and the fact that it suggests shifting to 4th@30mph only for you to be greeted with a struggling grumbling lumpy pig under the bonnet as it has no low end torque, she also moans that all she seems to do is change gear as the slightest hint of an incline and you not only need to drop 1 cog (which would would not have had to do in the Mini), but usually 2!

Also, to further back up my point, on the A1 forum EVERYONE complains about the 1.6 TDI as well (which is the same unit as this thread is about). Most comments are along the lines of 'Slow, and crap MPG, might as well get the 2.0 as it has more power and often better MPG!'.

My post was well constructed drawing conclusions from direct relevant evidence, as well as making it clear I am not just moaning I don't like it because it's slow in comparison to a 300bhp car (because obviously any 1.6TDI is!), it's genuinely underpowered and not as efficient as it should be compared to other 1.6 TDI units out there. If you are buying a VAG derv, get the 2.0 TDI.

Now go back in your hole!

EDIT: I just noticed what you drive. Maybe your post is suggesting you don't want to admit you made a mistake with your purchase... Either that or you are the people I overtake struggling to do 40mph up a minor hill and you're OK with that?

Although I do love my Yeti Greenline I do have to agree that other VAG cars and manufacturers seem to have tuned the engine a little better. I use hire cars a lot for work, Golf 1.6tdi Bluemotion and a Seat Leon 1.6tdi ecomotion, both seemed a little more refined than the Yeti. I also recently drove a Hyundi i40 1.7tdi which won on refinement and economy! As I said, love my Yeti and improved the little niggles bothering me by fitting a CRt+ unit from DTUK.

Having just come back from a trip to Spain, I can point out one more drawback of a turbocharged 1.6 diesel in a 1250kg car used in hilly terrain - very little engine braking.

In Andorra, on some roads with 8%-9% incline, the car would happily accelerate past 40mph in 2nd gear without any fuel going into the engine, that's past 3500rpm. Plus on the way back, on French motorway in hilly areas (5%-6% inclines), the 105bhp engine would struggle to maintain 85mph on uphills in 5th, once again about 120bhp would be optimum for motorway use. The car was only moderately loaded, 2 adults+2 kids, boot 2/3rd full. 

I'm glad I have a larger engined diesel car for futher trips (Roomie went for this one just to prove itself after engine replacement, and to wear out tyres before winter), and with the latest experience in mind, I would not buy anything smaller than a 2.0CR in future, at least when it comes to turbo diesels. 

Edited by dieselV6

A 0-62mph time of 10.4sec (Car magazine test result) is some indicator of the overall expected performance to me and peak torque of 184lb/ft that spreads itself between 1500 and 2750rpm should give a decent drive in a car weighting just 1200kg. Personally, any car that offers the combination of a 10.4 seconds to 60 time, 121mph top end, 74.3mpg & 99g/km CO2 emissions is looking good for a spacious all round family car in my book. The mini isn't even worth the comparison IMO as its not even in the same segment and space is laughable but even the neighbours 2wd 1.6d countryman is tight on space and that weights almost 1400kg and has its peak torque spread over far less of the rev range (1750-2250rpm). He also struggles to get it into the 50's mpg wise, usually achieving mid 40's at best!

Had to drive to Mini 1.6d for work and couldn't wait to hand it back, style over substance for me.