Fitted new DRL bulbs

chris c

Thanks, I did that yesterday and there was no light in the LED at all. Today I took it out, straightened out the four wires on the bulb, turned it around again, and now it works...I guess it had something to do with the wires then :-) :-)

Damn, this light is WHITE... I love it :-)

The leds are a nice upgrade :)
  • Like 1

I started this thread almost a year ago and it's still active :D

The standard bulbs are back in my car now

May I ask, why you went back to standard? I'm thinking about leds, but I have to deside soon, because after couple of weeks owning a new car I would not bother anymore. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my DRL's to MTECS in October and they have blown already,surely they should later longer than 4 months?I emailed HIDS DIRECT and they sent me a replacement which I received the next day.I fitted the replacement yesterday,but this evening I find that the drivers side one has now blown too.Should I be buying more expensive ones?after all you get what you pay for.

I changed my DRL's to MTECS in October and they have blown already,surely they should later longer than 4 months?I emailed HIDS DIRECT and they sent me a replacement which I received the next day.I fitted the replacement yesterday,but this evening I find that the drivers side one has now blown too.Should I be buying more expensive ones?after all you get what you pay for.

I would perhaps buy the more expensive LED drl's and keep the standard ones for MOT's as the LED's aren't road legal, MTEC have a history of failing

• Like 1

Do you use a piece of fabric or gloves when you replace bulbs? I'm thinking about greasy finger prints on bulbs, which would not increase lifetime of the bulb. I'm not sure is it problem with 21W bulbs, but it could be.

Do you use a piece of fabric or gloves when you replace bulbs? I'm thinking about greasy finger prints on bulbs, which would not increase lifetime of the bulb. I'm not sure is it problem with 21W bulbs, but it could be.

I would use some sort of protection, even if you don't affect bulb life, greasy fingerprints can dull reflectors over time.

• Like 1

I would perhaps buy the more expensive LED drl's and keep the standard ones for MOT's as the LED's aren't road legal, MTEC have a history of failing

I'm interested in this assertion that the replacement LED DRLs are not road legal and won't pass the MOT. Where did this idea come from? Not from HIDsdirect - they say that as long as the units are giving off light, they can't fail an MOT. Could you expand on your statement, please?

I think this is only a problem with Halogen bulbs as they operate at very high temperatures and any marks localise heat and lead to early failure. LEDs themselves should operate at much lower temps and be more reliable BUT there are often other components attached to LED devices that can overheat.

Fred

I'm interested in this assertion that the replacement LED DRLs are not road legal and won't pass the MOT. Where did this idea come from? Not from HIDsdirect - they say that as long as the units are giving off light, they can't fail an MOT. Could you expand on your statement, please?

In other words, I don't think (I can't remember the marking correctly by name) LED's have a "CE" mark which means they are road legal bulbs, so if your car went for an MOT and the tester happened to check the bulbs and found them with no markings he would put the MOT down as a failure

In other words, I don't think (I can't remember the marking correctly by name) LED's have a "CE" mark which means they are road legal bulbs, so if your car went for an MOT and the tester happened to check the bulbs and found them with no markings he would put the MOT down as a failure

Cheers....with you now. It's down to whether they have the correct approval marks stamped on them in tiny letters. I think I'll take my chances then...after all, MOT testers aren't allowed to dismantle anything, are they?

Cheers....with you now. It's down to whether they have the correct approval marks stamped on them in tiny letters. I think I'll take my chances then...after all, MOT testers aren't allowed to dismantle anything, are they?

Nope don't think so, but to be honest I'm going to play it safe when it comes to its first MOT and chuck the old ones back in as it'll be noticeable that the bulbs aren't standard :)

So, I'd like to change the standard ones out on mine as they look like French fog lights next to the very bright white of my Nightbreakers. I'm not going near the MTEC filament ones, so of the LED types who's had a set long enough to put hand on heart and say that they've lasted well AND give out a nice clean, bright white light? (not blue, please ;) )

On the subject (sort of) of the Nightbreaker+'s, has anyone noticed that the main beam appears a good few shades 'cooler' than the dipped beam?

Edited by Citigopher

I think this is only a problem with Halogen bulbs as they operate at very high temperatures and any marks localise heat and lead to early failure. LEDs themselves should operate at much lower temps and be more reliable BUT there are often other components attached to LED devices that can overheat.

Fred

I should have been more precise. If you change DRL bulb (21/5W) you better not to handle them with bare hands. This just came to my mind when was told that some bulbs doesn't last long enough.

Though I didn't know that greasy fingerprints can dull reflectors over time. No doubt it can. And that's been said in workshop manual as well.

• Like 1

Approval stamps may not help when blind man can see with his stick, that led bulbs aren't standard for these lights. I finally ordered leds and I think they looks horrible.

Standard:

DSC_0178_zpssak7l62z.jpg

Led:

DSC_0180_zpszemrbkiw.jpg

Led's package says not for road use. Now I know why. :D

• Like 1

Approval stamps may not help when blind man can see with his stick, that led bulbs aren't standard for these lights. I finally ordered leds and I think they looks horrible.

Standard:

DSC_0178_zpssak7l62z.jpg

Led:

DSC_0180_zpszemrbkiw.jpg

Led's package says not for road use. Now I know why. :D

They're the type I fitted to my caravan!

Fred