Fitted new DRL bulbs

chris c

Today I've fitted my Mtec DRL bulbs. Definately worth fitting, look much better than the standard bulbs :happy:

Does it matter which way around they are fitted? I put mine in so when you look into the headlight you can see the writing on the bulb at the top.

I also fitted some Osram Diadem indicator bulbs I had bought for my Caddy but never fitted. I've had Philips silvervision in my previous Fabia but the silver paint like finish eventually comes off. These Diadems  look pretty good and go with the Mtec DRL's nicely.

Both were fairly tricky to do when you have large hands!! I have some Osram Night Breaker Unlimited headlight bulbs to fit but not sure how that rubber cover comes off ?  :think: 

20140226_170931.jpg

I fitted my DRL bulbs without any thought regarding orinetation and they both work perfectly, so it either doesn't matter or I was lucky.  :happy:

The rubber cover pulls off quite easily to access the headlight bulbs.

• Like 1

The rubber boot just pulls off but like Stormchaser says, those 3-pin plugs are on pretty tight - when I did mine one was fine but the other one was an absolute nightmare.  You really have to just close your eyes and apply brute force!

• Like 1

I put the Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs in this afternoon ;) The plugs are an absolute bitch to remove as people have remarked!!. I put a flat blade screwdriver between the plug and the end of the bulb and gave it a slight twist to get the plug moving then it pulled off easier :)

I paid £14.95 inc post on ebay for them, highly recommended to anyone thinking of changing their standard bulbs :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect the life expectancy to be much different to the standard bulbs that come with the car. I ran some in my old T4 camper van for several years and they were still going when I sold the van.

I am interested in these high performance bulbs but am concerned about how long they last.

Any comments on the life expectancy

The bulbs in the car as standard are LL rated according to the manual, so long life. This is why they are pretty grim in terms of light output. Not sure about the unlimited variant of Nightbreaker but the original ones used to burn out pretty quickly (about three months of winter driving instruction with lots of lights on time, or put another way, around 12,000 miles). I am running the unlimited version in my training car and have to say they are spectacularly good. From what I have read, these last longer than the original Nightbreaker.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The nearside MTEC has failed today (DLR filament has gone still works on side light) after 7 months,not very impressed.

Mine went after about 2 weeks. Rang HIDs and they sent out a replacement, met me halfway on the cost of next day delivery - which would've been pretty awesome, had they actually sent it next day. Cue refund! I'm not sure if the 1 year warranty they provide rolls over if they send you a replacement? If so, £7.99 well spent!

Yes they don't last very long but they change them easily under warranty :)

Sent from my PID using Tapatalk

Id still expect them to last a some what decent length of time.... minimum 12months

Have emailed Hids-Direct and will see if I can get a replacement bulb.Have fitted the original bulbs back in for now.Gave the connector plugs a dose of WD40 and they went back in a lot easier than they came out.

HiD,s are very good. They changed mine no quibble. I had 2 options from them. Send the faulty one back or smash the bulb and send a photo to them. I emailed a photo to them and the bulb arrived next day :)

Sent from my PID using Tapatalk

Have heard back fro H-Direct,they only offer a 3 month warranty on the bulbs so I will stick with the original bulbs-cannot see the point in buying a new bulb with such a poor usage time wise,its not as the bulbs are used 24/7.