Tyres Speed rating

MikeWales

Hi all,

I tried a look through previous threads, but did we get a final answer on whether or not a V speed rating is OK as opposed to the  W rating on the original tyres?

I need 4 new tyres, 28,000 miles on the current Dunlops, so not too bad, and I was looking at the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, but I can only get them in the V rating at about £150 each.

I just spoke to Skoda UK and they said I had to stick with the original speed rating or go higher!

Anyone used the Goodyears on a V rating so far?

Thanks 

V rated tyres will be peerfectly safe,  because you cannot exceed 149mph in a Yeti even downhill with the wind behind you.  BUT the problem is that because the original vehicle specification states a W speed rating,  fitting anything else counts as a modification,  and must be reported to your insurance company.  If you don't do this you will automatically invalidate your insurance and be driving uninsured.  You may,  of course find that your insurer is happy to cover you (and you can argue that your vehicle is incapable of reaching the speed limit of the lower spec tyres),  but not telling them means you would be driving uninsured ( and therefore illegally.).  Unfortunately most insurers are "job's worths" who will simply point to the illogical specification list and reject a lower speed rating out of hand.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

V rated tyres will be peerfectly safe,  because you cannot exceed 149mph in a Yeti even downhill with the wind behind you.  BUT the problem is that because the original vehicle specification states a W speed rating,  fitting anything else counts as a modification,  and must be reported to your insurance company.  If you don't do this you will automatically invalidate your insurance and be driving uninsured.  You may,  of course find that your insurer is happy to cover you (and you can argue that your vehicle is incapable of reaching the speed limit of the lower spec tyres),  but not telling them means you would be driving uninsured ( and therefore illegally.).  Unfortunately most insurers are "job's worths" who will simply point to the illogical specification list and reject a lower speed rating out of hand.  Good Luck!

Thanks for this. i did phone them (LV) a while back and said that i was going to fit the Goodyear 4 Seasons. They said they didn't need to be informed. But I suppose I had better check the V rating with them

I asked exactly the same question a few months ago. What the car comes fitted with doesn't necessarily mean this is what it is type-approved with as it may just be a commercial thing by Skoda to get all tyres in one rating.

I have the Vector 4Seasons on mine right now with the correct load rating but on a V speed rating.

The last type approval number for the Yeti (ending in 18) listed by Skoda Germany, has both T and H for the 225/50 R17 tyre depending on engine. Think this has a lot to do with tyre manufacturers now making tyres in this size in the lower ratings; when the Yeti first appeared W rating was about it. Again I think this was possible due to the size being used mainly for high performance cars like the Audi TT originally.

http://www.skoda-auto.de/service/serviceleistungen/serienbereifung

TP

Is this not just an urban myth?  On that basis, surely virtually anything would count as a modification, but that doesn't make any kind of sense.  Different make of tyres, perhaps?  The fact that the tyres no longer have the 8mm tread that they came with?  Non-standard wipers?  A different make of brake pads?

They can't all count as modifications, so it's difficult to see why using a V-rated tyre on a car that can't possibly reach 149mph could be regarded as a modification.  I can't see a claim being rejected on that basis, and if it were the Financial Ombudsman Service would pretty soon kick it into touch.

Edited by docc
  • Like 1

No. There are extensive prior threads on this topic.

I appreciate that, but has anyone actually had a claim refused for using V tyres instead of W?  I'm pretty confident that there's no evidence of a refused claim that's been supported by the FOS.

• Like 2

Think the get out clause for the owner regard what tyres you fit is the owners handbook which states;

"The tyre/wheel combinations which are approved for your vehicle are indicated in
your vehicle documents."

However Skoda UK don't supply these to UK customers (unlike Skoda Germany).

Therefore IMHO your insurer would be on shaky ground trying to hold you accountable to information not supplied by the manufacturers regional representative in the first place.

TP

There are two schools of thought about insurance. The paranoid who believe that if you use non-O/E washer fluid you will be arrested and jailed and the rest of the world who believe that if you change peripheral/consumable items but ensure that your fitment is lawful and fit for purpose you will be fine. At one end of the scale the belief is that the claims assessor who finds an LED boot light will void the policy at the other an assumption that if a mod has neither changed the value nor the functionality of the car you will be fine.

If you fit tyres rated for 68mph (the lowest IIRC) and crash when one fails you are on your own but if they have load and speed ratings which are appropriate for the weight and speed potential of your yeti then you are fine.

• Like 1

I think that where we got to in extensive previous discussions on this topic was:

It is very likely the case that V-rated all-season tyres do in theory meet requirements for road-worthiness, compliance with regulations etc. If this was ever challenged in court then you would very likely win the case.

But the point of more practical concern is that if you're ever unlucky enough to have to make a substantial insurance claim then you presumably would prefer that the claim gets paid out as quickly and smoothly as possible. This is more likely to happen if you have not given the insurance company any more wriggle room than is necessary.

A jobsworth claim investigator could, if they so chose (or were under instructions not to be an easy ride), use a non-standard tyre specification as reason at least to query and delay a claim. (Tyre and conditions specifications are obviously one of the simplest of car items for an investigator to check (much more so than eg brake pad specification) and I'm guessing this tyre check is probably one of the first things that an investigator does.)

So the issue is not so much that you wouldn't win the claim eventually, but more one of not affording the insurers the excuse to delay the claim at all. By explicitly informing the insurers ahead of time (and getting their consent if necessary) you're ruling tyre specification out as a possible delaying tactic.

What happens if you fit correctly rated (W) cheap ditchfinders? would the insurance refuse your claim for fitting poor tyres. Surely having branded 4 season tyres in V rating are the much better option.

What happens if you fit correctly rated (W) cheap ditchfinders? would the insurance refuse your claim for fitting poor tyres. Surely having branded 4 season tyres in V rating are the much better option.

But that's the same point isn't it? No-one's questioning the logic of that argument. But it still may not comply with (one interpretation at least) of the letter of the insurance contract and hence the insurers have wriggle room.

I would suggest for peace of mind that you contact your insurer for a definitive answer, I checked with my insurer before ordering my steel wheels and winter tyres which are H rated (130MPH ). The insurers confirmed that it they would be fine as long as the rating was higher than the manufacturers stated top speed ( 125MPH ). They also accept the use of a space saver spare wheel ( restricted to 50MPH ).

Al this talk of fitting tyres meeting the "manufacturer's specification" begs the question, what IS the manufacturer's specification? The assumption made by many is that it is what is fitted from new, but this may actually exceed the required "specification" but be commercially sensible (after all, what is the commercial sense of fitting different tyres to each variant ratherr than a bulk-bought one-size-fits-all solution)?

I thank you all very much for you input and advice.

I will have a word with the insurance company and if they are happy I'll order the Vectors with the V rating.

They can't be more dangerous than the bald ones I've got now!:-)