What's the start stop doing (or not going)?

Mine's useless on the DSG.  Sat at lights, in neutral and handbrake on, lights change, brake on to go into gear (as the handbrake doesn't hold it when it's in 1st) and.....engine stops, just as you want power.  I don't like riding the footbrake so I just disengage the SS on every journey.  Would prefer not to have it, or have it activate on the handbrake instead.

I have a TSI with ACC and use it a lot, with no problems.

Off topic bits:

The reason you need to vary the engine speed during run in is to move the piston rings in and out against the cylinder bore, harmonising the wear on the cylinder bore and the piston ring. 

Smeaghead, Stop start in a DSG works differently than in a manual, for SS to work the DSG needs to be in D mode with the footbrake on - it will also work if the box is put into park.  In your example you have the DSG in neutral engine running apply the foot brake and D mode while speed is 0 stop start activated. Sometimes I know that I am in for a wait at lights and put the car into park mode with the handbrake on.  For me like you it would make sense to have SS work when in neutral just like in a manual.

What's the start stop doing (or not going)?

Mine's useless on the DSG.  Sat at lights, in neutral and handbrake on, lights change, brake on to go into gear (as the handbrake doesn't hold it when it's in 1st) and.....engine stops, just as you want power.  I don't like riding the footbrake so I just disengage the SS on every journey.  Would prefer not to have it, or have it activate on the handbrake instead.

Mine is DSG so a lot easier to control by pressure on the brake pedal.

I keep getting the amber warning triangle and 'Start Stop system error' message on the Maxidot.

If you cycle the ignition it sometimes comes back on, but the worst is 3 consecutive days without Start Stop. It had a software update which would supposedly fix it, then 2 days later it did it again. It logs the below fault code which does not inspire confidence

Address 01: Engine (J623-CKFC)       Labels: 04L-907-309-V1.clb
   Part No SW: 04L 906 021 DT    HW: 04L 907 309 D
   Component: R4 2,0L EDC   H83 4943  
   Revision: 00H83H22    
   Coding: 011D0012032501090000
   Shop #: WSC 73430 031 00999
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01104L906021DT 002003
   ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01104L906021DT_SK37.rod
   VCID: 7AF1C4CAFD9E51CED53-802F

1 Fault Found:
21125 - Invalid Data Received from Airbag Control Module 
          U0452 00 [032] - -
          Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 28426 km
                    Date: 2014.03.13
                    Time: 18:08:17

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0 

As expected they found nothing recorded in the ECU and couldn't replicate the problem.  They have reported it to Skoda who claimed to be unaware of any such issue. I gave them your VIN, but they were very vague as to what they found (assuming they got as far as checking it out).

I think the chance of finding the problem, on my car on an island where it's not possible to use CC, is very low and I hope they can fix yours and copy what's been done.

On a positive note they fixed the headlamp washers which now retract without me having to prod them with a finger every time I use them :)

Edited by Smeghead

As expected they found nothing recorded in the ECU and couldn't replicate the problem.  They have reported it to Skoda who claimed to be unaware of any such issue. I gave them your VIN, but they were very vague as to what they found (assuming they got as far as checking it out).

I think the chance of finding the problem, on my car on an island where it's not possible to use CC, is very low and I hope they can fix yours and copy what's been done.

On a positive note they fixed the headlamp washers which now retract without me having to prod them with a finger every time I use them :)

Thanks for the info...

Our plan is to inform the hungarian distributor directly if the dealer don't want to.

Tomorrow I will call the dealer. It seems to me they just sitting on the problem. No call from them during the last week. Hopefully they already informed the distributor and just waiting for some answer.

Thanks for the info...

Our plan is to inform the hungarian distributor directly if the dealer don't want to.

Tomorrow I will call the dealer. It seems to me they just sitting on the problem. No call from them during the last week. Hopefully they already informed the distributor and just waiting for some answer.

Good plan.  My VIN is logged with this fault with Skoda UK so feel free to pass it on to them.

Maybe you can offer for them to fit a data-logger to one of the cars with the problem so that they can try to capture the event with some relevant data.

One of the problems with Cruise Control issues is that many of the inputs are switches (steering wheel buttons, brake pedal switch, clutch pedal switch etc).

It is difficult to diagnose a faulty switch/wiring as its hard to tell when the switch was intentionally pressed by the driver or caused by the issue.

A datalogger can help pin-point the input causing the cruise control cancellation.

One thing of significance (which you should make clear to the dealer) is the comments that when the issue occurs with the cruise control you feel a "jump" as the car starts to decelerate. (describe this to the dealer as a "bump" or "jerk" - words they normally use to describe drivability.)

This is different from a normal cancelling of cruise control where the ECU should "blend" out out the injection/torque so that the cancellation is smooth.

This would suggest to me that cruise control is cancelled due to an non-normal input like an error with another part of the system rather than a problem with one of the driver inputs (like brake switch or steering wheel buttons).

Maybe you can offer for them to fit a data-logger to one of the cars with the problem so that they can try to capture the event with some relevant data.

One of the problems with Cruise Control issues is that many of the inputs are switches (steering wheel buttons, brake pedal switch, clutch pedal switch etc).

It is difficult to diagnose a faulty switch/wiring as its hard to tell when the switch was intentionally pressed by the driver or caused by the issue.

A datalogger can help pin-point the input causing the cruise control cancellation.

One thing of significance (which you should make clear to the dealer) is the comments that when the issue occurs with the cruise control you feel a "jump" as the car starts to decelerate. (describe this to the dealer as a "bump" or "jerk" - words they normally use to describe drivability.)

This is different from a normal cancelling of cruise control where the ECU should "blend" out out the injection/torque so that the cancellation is smooth.

This would suggest to me that cruise control is cancelled due to an non-normal input like an error with another part of the system rather than a problem with one of the driver inputs (like brake switch or steering wheel buttons).

Yes I agree with you.

I prayed many times for such a data logger. I can only hope they will test the car with it next time.

Today I talked to the dealer and the next inspection will be on thursday this week.

They will rent my car for a day and test it on highway. Hopefully not only for see yeah it's really wrong.

I tried to ask for the testing method on the phone, but the service manager knew nothing about it. Disadvantage of a big car service...you can't talk directly with the service guy who tries to fix your car :(

Today I checked the other 2 car's VIN (we have 3 of 3 new O3 with this issue) and the VINs are far away from each other.

They ordered the cars at the same time but they arrived at different date.

My colleagues' cars are exactly the same configuration and mine is different. Both 3 cars are 2.0 Elegance CR-TDI 150 DSG Combi (Estate), silver colour... :D

It's very interesting that until now only we indicated this problem.

Hopefully next time I can post some good news...

Hi all,

I also have the diesel vrs dsg. Over the last 1500 miles my cc has inadvertently disengaged about 5 times. I put the "bump" or "jerk" down to the fact it happened when i wasn't expecting it, as opposed to pressing a button and subconsciously reacting to the deceleration.

Was holding off taking into dealer to see f it was just a running in issue, as the manual does state there are many times when it might cancel. If it happens again now the car is run in nicely, i will see about taking it to the dealer. 

Regarding the ss, i like it. I like that you can judge the traffic situation and press firmly on the brake once stopped to activate, or press gently on the brake to keep engine running if i can see we are just about to move.

stu 

Hi all,

I also have the diesel vrs dsg. Over the last 1500 miles my cc has inadvertently disengaged about 5 times. I put the "bump" or "jerk" down to the fact it happened when i wasn't expecting it, as opposed to pressing a button and subconsciously reacting to the deceleration.

Was holding off taking into dealer to see f it was just a running in issue, as the manual does state there are many times when it might cancel. If it happens again now the car is run in nicely, i will see about taking it to the dealer. 

Regarding the ss, i like it. I like that you can judge the traffic situation and press firmly on the brake once stopped to activate, or press gently on the brake to keep engine running if i can see we are just about to move.

stu 

How often do you use cc?

I use it 70-80% of time as I drive a lot on highway.

Mine's cancels itself once/100 km on the average.

Stu, it sounds like yours is the same as our 4 cars and this is a genuine fault.  Once it'd happened to me several times I was keeping an eye out for it and at no time when it happened was there any obvious reason.  The road was fast, clear and dry with no bumps (Typical French Autoroute really), the lane assist was turned off and even if it had been on, I was well within the lane markings,

There was no reason for any "safety" systems to cut in.  The CC just self-cancelled.

The more reports Skoda gets the more likely they will take it seriously. 

Stu, it sounds like yours is the same as our 4 cars and this is a genuine fault.  Once it'd happened to me several times I was keeping an eye out for it and at no time when it happened was there any obvious reason.  The road was fast, clear and dry with no bumps (Typical French Autoroute really), the lane assist was turned off and even if it had been on, I was well within the lane markings,

There was no reason for any "safety" systems to cut in.  The CC just self-cancelled.

The more reports Skoda gets the more likely they will take it seriously. 

Yes, such issues must be reported as soon as possible otherwise the factory don't know about them, and nothing will happen...

That's the way to make quality better.

I work for a market leader company of garden tools, and I know...

We do it like this:

- one problem = no problem, it happens...

- two similar problems = oops, we keep our eyes open

- three similar problems = we send a failure report directly to the product manager as soon as possible

The technical guys at the mother company do it the same way.

It's very important if the issue is related to a new product!

Hi all,

I made a video about the cc resume.

It's really slooooooow (+1 km/h per second).

And yours?

I think this slow acceleration is a "feature" with DSG.

What do you think?

Earlier I had a Golf mk5 with manual, and the resume was much much faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SivZuLcAaw

Hi all,

I made a video about the cc resume.

It's really slooooooow (+1 km/h per second).

And yours?

I think this slow acceleration is a "feature" with DSG.

What do you think?

Earlier I had a Golf mk5 with manual, and the resume was much much faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SivZuLcAaw

I suspect it depends how much accelerating needs to be done. I've stopped at a toll booth then hit resume as I pulled away and it went like stink, much to my wife's annoyance, all the way back up to 130kmh.

I suspect it depends how much accelerating needs to be done. I've stopped at a toll booth then hit resume as I pulled away and it went like stink, much to my wife's annoyance, all the way back up to 130kmh.

Somebody told me he has O3 1,2 TSI with manual and his car resumes much faster.

• Like 1

I find the cc resume depends upon your driving mode - sport accelerates much faster than eco.

Yep, driving mode also changes the aggressiveness of the CC.

I find the cc resume depends upon your driving mode - sport accelerates much faster than eco.

Thanks, I will try it (just for fun).

On my video it was in Normal mode.

About my faulty cc:

The dealer tested my car on highway for a day.

As I thought just to see it was really wrong.

(I think they don't have proper tools to test it out in detail.)

Fortunately the self cancelling happened 3 times.

As result now they believe us and they will send a failure report about our 3 cars.

Now we have to wait for the "big brother's" response.

I've been having the opposite problem. My cruise control now comes on when it feels like it, then shows an error in the display and will not work again. A trip to the dealers for me too.

The dealer tested my car on highway for a day.

Fortunately the self cancelling happened 3 times.

This is good news. At least now it's officially recorded as a fault by a representative of Skoda and as there are 3 LHD cars showing the error plus another 2 RHD cars they must now take it seriously.

This is good news. At least now it's officially recorded as a fault by a representative of Skoda and as there are 3 LHD cars showing the error plus another 2 RHD cars they must now take it seriously.

My dealer just called me.

Skoda asked them to read out some values from the DSG and send them for analyse.

Maybe we are on the way...