Hi all,

Things are looking a little more promising!

Tuesday am : Skoda Lincoln road tested again and replicated the trip out, with diagnostics on, at 30mph and had sent the info to Skoda Tech. Skoda UK phoned me to say that Skoda Tech had requested Lincoln to change the switch! They were informed by Lincoln that the switch had already been changed and asked for confirmation of the instruction. I asked Skoda UK to check with their Tech Dept whether any other Skoda Octavia had had the same problem.

Tiuesday pm: I called in at Skoda Lincoln for a face to face. They confirmed the above report and were awaiting a reply from Skoda Tech. Lincoln had also asked Tech to check whether any other Octavia had reported the same problem.

Wed am: Lincoln called to say that Tech had now instructed them to change complete Steering Control Unit. Then road test again. I am now waiting to see when Lincoln will receive the Control Unit. Just had a call from Skoda UK (1450hrs) to say that the Steering Control Unit will be in Lincoln tomorrow. Tech have not replied to the querie regarding other Octavias with the same problem!

I am off on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks so Lincoln is keeping my car until my return; hopefully with the problem solved.

PAPS

Have a good break and hopefully will be sorted when you get back.  My dealer tells me they have reported my car to SUK so I'd be interested to hear if they claim it's a one-off fault.

Hi All,

I am also experiencing the same issue on my VRS TDi DSG. The car is 1 month old and I experience the same drop out of cruise on most journeys. As described already it simply switches off for no apparent reason in fine conditions at motorway speeds. It will resume straight away however.

Not spoken to the dealer yet as I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue. Will call them tomorrow and I am happy to share my VIN after.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear it, but glad at the same time that it's looking more like a common fault so they (Skoda) will have to take it seriously.

i am surprised, as the car is made from many common VAG parts, I assume includig the CC system, that other models have not suffered the same fault (well not that I have found searching other forums anyway).

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it, but glad at the same time that it's looking more like a common fault so they (Skoda) will have to take it seriously.

i am surprised, as the car is made from many common VAG parts, I assume includig the CC system, that other models have not suffered the same fault (well not that I have found searching other forums anyway).

That's true the basic hardware is shared amongst the VAG group. But I assume that Skoda do their own programming of the ECU and comfort module that control the cc function. This could in theory still be a software issue, but it does seem they are shooting at anything because they don't know what the issue is.

News about the self cancelling CC:

My dealer called me yesterday.

Skoda succesfully found the bug in the DSG's software so they are now working on the problem.

Hopefully a software update and we can forget this issue for a life.

• Like 1

Yay. Progress (I hope).

I suspect it affects most cars with CC, only most people haven'y noticed yet.

Is it just CC with DSG though? I've had no problems with my manual.

Just to share my issues: 1.6 tdi elegance collected Jan 10th 2014.

Have had the exclamation mark fault symbol on maxidot twice - cruise control does nothing. Stop and restart - all works normally.

Recently I have had the CC activate itself without any input from me. It's like the resume feature self activates, but as I had not set a target speed it seems to want to keep accelerating to an unknown max. This has happened at least 6 times in the last week, usually accelerating from low revs, but worryingly once when decelerating to make a turn. Have to get it to the dealer this week to check for logged faults. A potentially dangerous problem.

Have had the exclamation mark fault symbol on maxidot twice - cruise control does nothing. Stop and restart - all works normally.

Recently I have had the CC activate itself without any input from me. It's like the resume feature self activates, but as I had not set a target speed it seems to want to keep accelerating to an unknown max. This has happened at least 6 times in the last week, usually accelerating from low revs, but worryingly once when decelerating to make a turn. Have to get it to the dealer this week to check for logged faults. A potentially dangerous problem.

No doubt you will make the dealer aware of this thread & also what aki78 posted about Skoda finding a problem. That way it can be logged as a common fault & when a solution is found that will go onto the system for future reference by dealers. Personally not suffered the problem but would be good to know there is a solution if it does occur.

Exactly the same as mine.  It's a nightmare. It's not worked properly since new so I'm going to start pushing for a refund on it.  The fact that my dealer appears to have forgotten that they diagnosed a fault with it a few weeks ago and allegedly ordered a replacement switch should support this.

I would suggest you potentially have two problems here (although they could still be linked).

The first problem is causing Cruise Control to cancel & give the warning/fault symbol.

The second is a problem with the resume/set+ switch which causes it to activate without warning.

Several people have already reported in this thread having the indicator stalk replaced to solve the 2nd problem.

But either way, definately a trip to the dealer.

With a problem like this, they should act quickly to try to rectify the problem (because as you say its potenitally dangerous when it activates without warning).

The fact that there is a visible warning should mean there is an assosiated error code which should help with a quick solution.

The original problem from Aki & Smeghead doesn't give any warnings (just cancels cruise randomly) so I don't think its exaclty the same problem you have.

I've had a number of VAG cars with Cruise control. Passat, Touran, A4 and Octavia Mk2 and all have had this reset issue. Happens randomly at varying speeds and times into journeys. Each time it wouldn't restart without a complete electrical shut down. IE stop ignition off, then restart!

Does it happen even with the main CC switch turned to the off position?

I've had a number of VAG cars with Cruise control. Passat, Touran, A4 and Octavia Mk2 and all have had this reset issue. Happens randomly at varying speeds and times into journeys. Each time it wouldn't restart without a complete electrical shut down. IE stop ignition off, then restart!

Interesting that there's a similar fault elsewhere in the range.  The problem I have doesn't need a full power cycle to reset it though so it may be a different problem..

No. So far once CC switch is set to off, nothing happens.

Also to clarify, when the CC activates of it's own accord, the clock icon on the dashboard turns from white to green as if setting it by pressing the button on the end of tje indicator stalk, except with no driver input.

Of the two problems with mine, the self cancelling I can live with. However, I cannot live with the risk of the car suddenly speeding up (as rapidly as the 1.6 can) while I am slowing down waiting to turn in my road.

No. So far once CC switch is set to off, nothing happens.

Also to clarify, when the CC activates of it's own accord, the clock icon on the dashboard turns from white to green as if setting it by pressing the button on the end of tje indicator stalk, except with no driver input.

Of the two problems with mine, the self cancelling I can live with. However, I cannot live with the risk of the car suddenly speeding up (as rapidly as the 1.6 can) while I am slowing down waiting to turn in my road.

I'm pretty sure this problem is a fault switch.

I doubt it will fix itself but the dealer should be aware of similar issues & replace the stalk.

For the self cancelling it can also be related to a faulty switch so get the later corrected & see if it still happens.

However, I cannot live with the risk of the car suddenly speeding up (as rapidly as the 1.6 can) while I am slowing down waiting to turn in my road.

At least in the short term until your dealer can fix it you could turn the main switch off.  It's not ideal I realise, but it makes the car safe to drive.

At least in the short term until your dealer can fix it you could turn the main switch off.  It's not ideal I realise, but it makes the car safe to drive.

Sensible advice. Mine is off and will remain off until a replacement switch is fitted at the end of the week. Hopefully this will sort it out. Good luck everyone.