Free internet security

kit

AVG Free version is excellent.Been using it for over 10 years without any issues whatsoever. It even picked up a virus which Norton missed. Avast is also good but AVG is time proven.

Thanks for all the replies folks :) When the "free trial" AVG ran out it just asked if i wanted to revert to the "normal" AVG Free which i did, hopefully all will be OK and it will keep the nasties away :)

Just to throw a spanner in here, 

I've seen numerous PC's infected with loads of crap whilst running AVG 

Not so many which run avast, maybe two in total.

Thanks very much for that!!! ;) Sharing isn't caring!!! Well i'll see how it goes and if it turns out to be kack i'll switch to something else.

Kit

I've fixed my brothers home PC numerous times after he got loads of malware. His antivirus of choice was AVG, needless to say its now been replaced as it was rubbish, he now has MSE and not a problem since. 

You have to remember that all Antivirus software is reactive, in that until the virus exists and the definitions updated nothing can detect it, and it will happily pass through any AV software until the vendor provides an update to stop/detect and clean it.

MSE is one of the best free ones out there currently, along with the business version Forefront which is basically the same engine and used on corporate networks all over the place.

• Like 1

Mannyo... Had MSE for ages and really liked it but it failed to stop an attack and since then it won't work or reinstall, my IT guy tried several times to get it back up and running but no joy hence my search for an alternative.

Kit :)

I saw a chart from a security research company that compared AV from many vendors. I was surprised to see most of the big names like Sophos way down the list. AVG/MSE were middling and Avast was quite near the front. ESET was the head of the pack.

It's all subjective on the type of attckas they were modeling of course.

Edited by Aspman

Mannyo... Had MSE for ages and really liked it but it failed to stop an attack and since then it won't work or reinstall, my IT guy tried several times to get it back up and running but no joy hence my search for an alternative.

Kit :)

That says to me some or all of it is still infecting your system as typically the first attack is to disable any security software and prevent any new ones being loaded

I run Avast as first line. I also use Malwarebytes anti malware and Anti rootkit. Along with Adwcleaner , Rogue Killer , Spybot and Super AntiSpyware.

I saw a chart from a security research company that compared AV from many vendors. I was surprised to see most of the big names like Sophos way down the list. AVG/MSE were middling and Avast was quite near the front. ESET was the head of the pack.

It's all subjective on the type of attckas they were modeling of course.

found it...

RAP-quadrant-Aug13-Feb14-1200.jpg

Doesn't do them all I suppose. Not sure why

They run the chart every month so teh companies do move around a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Use COMMODO.

I've used AVG in the past and it was quite resource heavy and didn't block everything.

I've used COMMODO on several PC's for 6+ years now and never had a single problem, despite heavy usage and going on questionable websites.

I can't recommend it enough.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the full AVG (not the free one) - Free for a year

According to your System architecture (32 bit or 64-bit) download the  installer of 374  Days trail version of AVG IS 2013 from  below links (Copy them & paste in your browser).

For 32-bit (x86) Systems:     http://www.avg.com/download-file-x86-triisc-huawei

For 64-bit (x64) Systems:     http://www.avg.com/download-file-x64-triisc-huawei

And you can then download and upgrade to 2014

Add Malwarebytes the free version for whay AVG misses and you are good to go.

Bear in mind some banks now insist in the small print a decent anti virus.

• 1 month later...

Oooh not for a few years now.

Malwarebytes now for that sort of thing.

As a side note Norton recently announced that basically anti-virus as a technology has failed.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/05/antivirus-is-dead-long-live-antivirus/

AV will probably go into the cloud now as a more intelligent service.

If I remember rightly I think I have 'Avira'

A friend downloaded that for me on my new laptop, it came with macafee for three months as standard but you would not believe how much memory and CPU it was using, it was ridiculous, I noticed a difference after shelving the macafee program's, and I am running 8gb of Ram and an i7 !

JRJG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk